About Baltimore City Community College
Founded in 1947, Baltimore City Community College (BCCC) is a comprehensive, urban institution accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. The College’s campus is located in West Baltimore; the institution also has several satellite locations throughout the city. With its broad range of degree and certificate programs, affordable tuition, and extensive outreach, BCCC offers educational opportunities to the citizens of Baltimore City and throughout the state of Maryland. BCCC serves nearly 14,000* students annually, providing credits that transfer to four-year colleges and universities as well as workforce training leading directly to job placement. The College is proud of the fact that nearly 90** nations are represented within the student body.
* Based on annual unduplicated credit and non-credit headcount for FY 2018.
**Based on fall 2018 credit enrollment.Requisition Number:
2023-119Posting Start Date:
High School/GED Additional Documentation:
Commensurate with Experience
Diesel Mechanic InstructorDescription/Job Summary Workforce Development Automotive Instructors are highly knowledgeable in their field and are, in many cases, currently practicing in their field. They bring this capability into the classroom to instruct students in the field of study and hands-on training.
- Plan, conduct and assess instructional activities - to include safety and proper use of tools
- Conduct classroom and construction lab activities based on NATEF curriculum.
- Maintain educational records, inventory, and tool control logs.
- Track student achievement by coordinating and administering tests in accordance with acceptable reporting procedures;
- Develop alternative instructions for individualized and independent study and apprentice requirements.
- Performs routine automotive maintenance tasks, including oil changes, tire rotations, transmission flushes, air conditioner recharges, front end alignments, battery installations and headlight/taillight installations.
- Maintain a working knowledge of current industry best practices in automotive repair.
- Conduct extensive diagnostic procedures to determine the sources of customers’ problems and provide accurate repair recommendations.
- Inspect vehicles according to the state’s requirements for emissions and safety.
- Conduct necessary repairs and take vehicles for test drives to verify soundness.
- Clean and maintain the work environment to ensure equipment longevity and workplace safety.
- Evaluates students' progress and provides appropriate feedback.
- Prepares, maintains and submits accurate attendance records, reports, class rosters and grades established by institutional policy.
- Provide hands-on instruction and practical training to create an engaging learning environment.
- Provides instruction to adult learners with varying educational levels, abilities, and backgrounds and is able to appropriately adapt and deliver material to the multiple experience levels.
- Uses appropriate technology to enhance student learning outcomes.
- Utilizes a course syllabus for each course taught following established institutional guidelines.
- Makes recommendations for program improvements as appropriate and required.
- Interfaces regularly with project team and other instructors and attends scheduled meetings.
- Maintains confidentiality of student records and other sensitive subject matter
- Works assigned schedule, exhibits regular and predictable attendance.
- Perform related duties as required
- Adult teaching experience in a structured environment.
- Demonstrate attention to detail.
- Basic communication skills.
- Read and interpret work instructions.
- Instruct students in coursework in business services (soft skills) topic areas:
- Strong interpersonal skills and aptitude to work with people at many different levels.
- Experience with technology-based instructional delivery systems: projectors, DVD players and/or other classroom technology.
- Ability to use word processing, e-mail, internet, and/or web-based applications.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with students, faculty, adjunct and staff.
- Ability to maintain confidential and sensitive information.
- High School diploma/GED required
- At least 5 years of experience providing automotive instructional services to students.
- Ability to operate all auto repair tools
- Knowledge of diagnostic tools and equipment
BCCC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the application and/or hiring process should request the accommodation from The Office of Human Resources office by contacting us at 410-209-6007.
For more information, view the EEO - Know Your Rights and Pay Transparency Statement.
Email this job to a friend ×Subject:Your email address:Recipient's email address:Personal message:I came across this job and thought you may be interested.Human Verification:Send E-mail