Current UC employees must apply internally via SuccessFactors > http://bit.ly/UCEMPL
Founded in 1819, the University of Cincinnati ranks among the nation’s best urban public research universities. Home to nearly 48,000 students, about 11,000 faculty and staff and 332,000 alumni, UC combines a Top 35 public research university with a physical setting The New York Times calls “the most ambitious campus design program in the country.”
About the Department
With the launch of Next Lives Here, the Cincinnati Innovation District, a $100 million JobsOhio investment, eight straight years of record enrollment, worldwide leadership in cooperative education, a dynamic academic health center and entry into the Big 12 athletic conference, UC’s momentum has never been stronger. UC’s annual budget tops $1.65 billion and its endowment totals $1.8 billion.
The Strategic Programs & Signature Initiatives unit provides the critical infrastructure needed so that UC researchers and creatives can take their ideas to the next level; collaborate freely across disciplines; connect with clinical, government, community, and corporate partners; and be more competitive for high value awards and fellowships recognized as particularly prestigious by the Association of American Universities (AAU), the Top American Research Universities (TARU), and the Center for Measuring University Performance (CMUP). Our programs and initiatives enable the exploration of complex challenges arising from urbanization, globalization, and technological advancements. Through basic and applied research in the arts, sciences, technology-fields, and the humanities, UC faculty and students are creating innovative and sustainable solutions to problems that matter.Job Overview
Lead collaborative, use-inspired, and fundamental research in transparent, trustworthy, and ethical artificial intelligence and establish, develop, and grow the UC Center of Explainable Artificial Intelligence (CEXAI).Essential Functions
- Conduct international benchmark analysis of successful centers in Explainable Artificial Intelligence (XAI). Conduct collaborative research with Digital Futures (DF) labs, centers, and institutes.
- Fuse and formalize partnerships between UC and other research universities (national & international). Support UC Research leadership in developing new foundational and strategic relationships for CEXAI growth and enhance the scientific and technical capabilities of CEXAI and DF Initiatives. Mentor and train student researchers in CEXAI.
- Select research data sets to be used to establish space science use-cases.
- Develop and grow primary application fields in space science and space engineering.
- Write and submit proposals for external funding and contribute to sponsored projects with DF investigators and other UC faculty.
- Develop & manage physical space and research instrumentation that enables CEXAI.
- May provide direct and/or indirect supervision to exempt and non-exempt staff (i.e., hiring/firing, performance evaluations, disciplinary action, approve time off, etc.).
- Develop and grow CEXAI into a center of excellence in space science.
- Develop the network of space subject matter experts in various fields in and around UC.
- Develop and grow application fields and use cases in space science and space engineering.
- Submit MRI proposals to NSF to establish required instrumentation.
- Create patentable, licensable technology/IP and engage with commercialization activities otherwise
Master's Degree in Aerospace Engineering or AstrophysicsRequired Experience
Seven (7) years (84 months) of academic experience in Aerospace Engineering or Astrophysics Research, to include the following which may, but need not, have been concurrent:
Physical Requirements/Work EnvironmentOffice environment/no specific unusual physical or environmental demands. Compensation and Benefits
- Four (4) years of experience developing AI/ML algorithms with particular focus on eXplainable Artificial Intelligence;
- Two (2) years of experience in advisory roles for companies or academic research groups in the field of AI;
- Two (2) years co-authoring and submitting publications to peer-reviewed journals;
- One (1) year of additional experience in one of the aforementioned areas or another area of Aerospace Engineering or Astrophysics research.
UC offers a wide array of complementary and affordable benefit options, to meet the financial, educational, health, and wellness needs of you and your family. Eligibility varies by position and FTE.
- Competitive salary range dependent on the candidate's experience.
- Comprehensive insurance plans including medical, dental, vision, and prescription coverage.
- Flexible spending accounts and an award-winning employee wellness program, plus an employee assistance program.
- Financial security via our life and long-term disability insurance, accident and illness insurance, and retirement savings plans.
- Generous paid time off work options including vacation, sick leave, annual holidays, and winter season days in addition to paid parental leave.
- Tuition remission is available for employees and their eligible dependents.
- Enjoy discounts for on and off-campus activities and services.
To learn more about why UC is a great place to work, please visit our careers page at https://www.uc.edu/careers.html
The University of Cincinnati, as a multi-national and culturally diverse university, is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and diverse place of learning and employment. As part of a complete job application you will be asked to include a Contribution to Diversity and Inclusion statement.
As a UC employee, and an employee of an Ohio public institution, if hired you will not contribute to the federal Social Security system, other than contributions to Medicare. Instead, UC employees have the option to contribute to a state retirement plan (OPERS, STRS) or an alternative retirement plan (ARP).
The University of Cincinnati is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer / Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran.
SF:OMJ SF:RM SF:HEJ, SF:INS SF:HERC SF:DIV SF:LJN SF:IHE