Continuing Education Adjunct, Patient Care Technician Location:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Part-Time Job ID:
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- One LSC
- Student Focused
- Own It
- Advance Equity
- Cultivate Community
- Choose Learning
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in eight areas: Professional Development; Mission & Pride; Supervisor/Department Chair Effectiveness; Confidence in Senior Leadership; Faculty & Staff Well-Being; Shared Governance; Faculty Experience; Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging.
Qualities of Excellence
As faculty members of Lone Star College, we strive to create a nation of world citizenry in our students. In that pursuit, we model ways of thinking and being that incorporate diversity, equality, and equity. Our culture, then, requires the possession of transcendent qualities that, while immeasurable, are evident in global citizens. We are compassionate with our students, colleagues, and ourselves. We are innovative in the pursuit of learning. Ultimately, we create a culture where learning thrives, people are safe, and we mirror the qualities of world citizenry.
Lone Star College faculty are dedicated to four qualities of excellence:
- Student Invested
- Content Expert
- Pedagogically Excellent
- Institutionally Dedicated
Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-Kingwood
Lone Star College offers high-quality, low-cost academic transfer and career training education to 93,000+ students each semester. LSC has been named a 2021 Great Colleges to Work For® institution by the Chronicle of Higher Education and ranked 35th in Texas in the Forbes ‘America’s Best Employers By State’ list.LSC consists of eight colleges, seven centers, eight Workforce Centers of Excellence and Lone Star Corporate College.
Lone Star College-Kingwood, an innovative and dynamic community college located in the pine-forested suburbs of northeast Houston, has an opening for someone interested in working with a diverse group of colleagues who want to make a difference in the lives of students and grow professionally. Kingwood focuses on fulfilling individual dreams and enhancing community life and offers unique programs in respiratory care, computer gaming and dental hygiene.
Location address is 20000 Kingwood Drive, Kingwood, TX 77339.Job Description
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
It is the responsibility of the teaching faculty to provide the learning activities and support that will lead to the achievement of the course objectives and contribute to the educational environment of the college and the community. Primary responsibilities are to plan, develop and teach courses within the curriculum in a manner that facilitates student learning.CE Adjunct faculty are hired in a part-time capacity on a semester-by-semester basis, contingent upon the needs of the System. Lone Star College accepts application material year-round from qualified applicants willing to teach on a part-time basis. Adjunct (part-time) faculty hiring is based on student demand. We offer day, evening, and weekend classes. Classes are offered at various times and locations during the academic year. As a rule, adjunct faculty may teach a maximum of five classes per academic year. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Teaches Continuing Education courses in the Patient Care Technician, Acute Care Technician, and other basic medical skill programs
- Develops and utilizes a course syllabus for each course following established institutional guidelines
- Instructs students in lecture, on-site laboratory, and off-site clinical facilities, correlating theory with the practice of basic nursing care for residents of a hospital or comparable acute care facility
- Performs ongoing, written student evaluations in the form of a Skills Inventory and evaluates student comprehension by administering written tests based on lecture/lab materials, and provides oral and written feedback to students as appropriate
- Evaluates students by a variety of means to measure their progress in achieving course objectives and inform them in a timely manner of their progress
- Submits required college reports and forms
- Provides timely, quality access to students through posted office hours, electronic communication and other appropriate methods
- Maintains professional relationships with students, colleagues, and the community
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Commitment to academic excellence, student success, exceptional service, and providing a dynamic climate for lifelong learning
- Willingness to embrace new instructional modalities to improve the teaching-learning process
- Ability to use effective strategies to engage student in their learning
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Picking, pinching, typing, or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with the whole hand as in handling
- Picking, holding, or otherwise working primarily with the whole hand
- Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body
- Ability to push, pull, squat, turn, twist, bend and stoop
- Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and to make the discrimination in sound
- Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction
- Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word including those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly or quickly
- Close visual acuity to perform an activity such as; preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; and/or extensive reading
WORK SCHEDULE & CONDITIONS:
Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the positionWork is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazardsHours will vary depending on class time; instructors are required to meet with classes at all scheduled times and be available to students outside of class instruction
- High School Diploma or GED
- Three years of acute care experience in a hospital or LTAC setting (Medical Surgical, Telemetry, ICU or equivalent)
- Texas Certified Nursing Assistant Certification or equivalent
- Associates degree
- One year of formal teaching or industry training experience
- Current RN or LVN license in the state of Texas
$51.75 per contact hour.
Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver, participation in a tax deferred retirement plan, professional development opportunities and more.
Special Instructions Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume. If you are applying for an Instructional position (i.e. Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, Instructor), please ensure you include the following to be considered: Resume/CV, Cover Letter, Teaching Philosophy, and unofficial transcripts. You must limit your file name for any attachment to 40 characters or less.How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.