Extension Agent I - IV Sustainable Agriculture and Community Food Systems
Permanent Status Faculty
60351057 - AG-SANTA ROSA
Ext Agent I - IV
The Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (IFAS) is committed to creating an environment that affirms diversity across a variety of dimensions, including ability, class, ethnicity/race, gender identity and expression. We particularly welcome applicants who can contribute to such an environment through their scholarship, teaching, mentoring, and professional service. We strongly encourage historically underrepresented groups to apply.
If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352-392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800-955-8771 (TDD) or visit Accessibility at UF
The Florida Cooperative Extension Service is a partnership between state, federal, and county governments that provides quality, relevant education, and research-based expertise to foster healthy people, a healthy environment, and a healthy economy. We are the resource that helps educate Floridians to address issues related to agriculture, natural resources, youth development, families, and communities.
University of Florida/IFAS Extension and Santa Rosa County are seeking an Extension Agent to lead Sustainable Agriculture and Community Food Systems education through the design, implementation, and evaluation of extension programming that meets the needs of the county's diverse population. As the Agent, you will spend your time on agronomic crop, livestock production, and natural resources programming. This role provides the opportunity to make a positive impact in the Santa Rosa County community as you help shape future generations. What you will do:
- Teach sustainability and conservation of resources for crop and livestock production.
- Provide educational programming related to sustainable agriculture and food systems to the Santa Rosa County community by teaching about BMPs, production, harvesting, marketing, and sustainability issues.
- Provide educational programming in Autonomous Agricultural Production, including the use of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Drone technology.
- Serve on a statewide team of Extension faculty to enhance the use of Autonomous Agricultural Production, including the use of Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Build an advisory committee composed of citizens and professionals that will assist you with program priorities and design to reach your audiences.
- Work as part of a team of county extension faculty from neighboring counties that collaborates to measure the impacts of Best Management Practices (BMPs) educational programs.
- Take the role of “educational first responder” for county and university functions during natural disasters.
- Obtain financial resources to support your programs.
- Manage all program components (e.g., policies, records, risk, communication, and accountability).
- Cooperate in interdisciplinary projects.
- Provide service to schools.
- Develop creative works (presentations, posters, website development, etc.)
- Write non-technical people-friendly publications.
- Participate in professional societies related to your academic discipline.
- Allocate at least 25% of your effort towards developing and teaching using virtual program delivery and social media.
- Collaborate with the County Extension Director and District Extension Director on other responsibilities that benefit the total county extension program.
Employment is contingent on the results of a national background check and drug screening.
Santa Rosa County is a diverse Florida panhandle county of forestland, farmland, pastureland, and white sandy beaches along the Gulf of Mexico. Santa Rosa County is home to 699 farms encompassing more than 85,080 acres. This land produces commodities such as cotton, peanuts, corn, pecans, hay, cattle, and small livestock. This position is located in the city of Jay with the main Santa Rosa County Extension Office located in Milton.
Extension is a partnership between state, federal, and county governments to provide scientific knowledge and expertise to the public. As such, all partners are involved in the supervision of the office and contribute to the salary and support resources. The primary goal of Extension is to disseminate the latest knowledge and applicable technologies in agriculture, human and natural resources, and the life sciences in order to sustain and enhance the quality of human life. The UF/IFAS mission is accomplished through extension faculty members, scientists, educators, administrative staff, and volunteers working cohesively throughout Florida's 67 counties.
Candidates will be reviewed as applications are received, but please be aware that interviews might not be scheduled until 4 to 6 weeks after the position closing date. Are you a good match? Apply today
Commensurate with Education and Experience
- A bachelor's degree in agronomy, animal sciences, agricultural education, or a related field. We will accept applicants without a bachelor's degree if the degree will be earned by June 2023. If hired solely with a bachelor's degree, we want you to continue to grow in your career. As such, we expect you to make at least 50% progress towards obtaining your master's degree within the first 6 years of employment. Course work completed within the State University System of Florida comes with a tuition waiver.
- Strong oral and written interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and balance diverse responsibilities.
- A commitment to customer service and inclusion, diversity, equity, and access (IDEA) guidelines of UF/IFAS Extension.
- Ability to use computers, web delivery, and apply social media to your work.
- Ability to possess (or be able to obtain) a Florida driver's license.
- Flexibility with working hours; willingness to work irregular hours, including evenings, weekends, and overnight travel.
- A master's degree.
- Cooperative Extension experience or equivalent.
- Demonstrated ability to establish solid partnerships and find innovative ways to attract new audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and motivate people, manage volunteers, and work in teams.
- Experience working in multicultural settings and coursework or training on multicultural topics are desirable.
- Expertise in getting groups to work together for a higher goal, managing competing priorities, and adaptability to handle unexpected situations.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Apply at Careers at UF
by 11:55 p.m. (Eastern) of the posting end date, and attach: Cover letter that describes how your experience and qualifications have prepared you for this position Resume or Curriculum vitae Unofficial copies of all transcripts (showing coursework) of your academic degrees The following documents are also required
and may either be submitted through the above link at the time of application, or sent separately to our office (below). Current and Previous Employment Form A minimum of 3 reference rating forms from your professional/academic references. Applicants are responsible for sending the rating form link to their references. Reference forms will be kept on file for 1 year and will be automatically used with any of our extension agent positions you apply for during that time.
Reference rating forms and unofficial transcripts not submitted at the time of application should be submitted/postmarked by the next business day after the position's closing date. They may be submitted to:
UF IFAS Human Resources
Faculty Recruitment and Hiring
P O Box 110281
Gainesville, FL 32611-0281 email@example.com
Fax: (352) 392-3226
Selected candidate will be required to provide an official transcript to the hiring department upon hire. A transcript will not be considered “official” if a designation of “Issued to Student” is visible. Degrees earned from an education institution outside of the United States are required to be evaluated by a professional credentialing service provider approved by National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES)
Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the US. The University of Florida is a public institution and subject to all requirements under Florida Sunshine and Public Record laws.
The University of Florida
is an Equal Opportunity Institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff. The University and greater Gainesville community enjoy a diversity of cultural events, restaurants, year-round outdoor recreational activities, and social opportunities.
Health Assessment Required:
30 Jun 2023
To apply, visit https://explore.jobs.ufl.edu/en-us/job/527295/extension-agent-i-iv-sustainable-agriculture-and-community-food-systems
The University is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information and veteran status in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency