Inside Higher Ed, the leading national daily publication covering higher education, seeks an experienced, ambitious journalist to join its editorial management team as an editor managing our expanding array of surveys, reports and booklets and collaborating on in-person and virtual events.
Reporting to the editor in chief and working with other members of our editorial leadership team, the senior editor for special content will manage reporters who produce advertiser-supported* editorial content: surveys of presidents, admissions officers and other senior administrators; special reports; and booklet compilations. The editor will also help set the agenda for and participate in Inside Higher Ed’s in-person events and plan and moderate webcasts.
Inside Higher Ed produces a wide range of content that advertisers support because it aligns with their business interests, but over which Inside Higher Ed maintains complete editorial control. (This is not sponsored or branded content.) The editor must be comfortable working with Inside Higher Ed’s business team to understand advertisers’ goals and have impeccable editorial credentials to carry out the work with utmost integrity.
The job of the senior editor will include:
- Working with the relevant Inside Higher Ed reporters and editors and our survey partner to draft, produce, analyze and deliver a set of annual surveys of key higher ed institution administrators.
- Working with freelance writers to produce several special reports per year
- Collaborating with colleagues from Inside Higher Ed and Times Higher Education on themes, programming and speakers for annual series of events.
- Representing Inside Higher Ed in speaking engagements and at other events.
- Working with colleagues to develop new ways to produce and deliver high-quality content.
Candidates should have:
- At least 5-7 years of professional journalism experience, ideally including some time as an editor.
- Excellent editing ability and demonstrated skill in working under deadline pressure.
- Outstanding organizational skills to track multiple major projects and deadlines concurrently.
- Comfort with public speaking and representing an organization.
- Deep knowledge of higher education is preferred.
Inside Higher Ed publishes breaking news, features, commentary, blogs, and other content (including audio and video) each weekday. We are an authoritative, independent voice for our 2.5 million unique monthly users and 275,000 e-mail subscribers.
Inside Higher Ed offers competitive pay, good benefits (including heavily subsidized health, dental, and life insurance premiums), 18 days paid time off, and federal holidays.
To help us evaluate your capabilities, please include a résumé, cover letter outlining your interest in this role and five clips showing your range and ability to clarify the complicated. Centrally located in downtown D.C.; candidates will work based in our office with a hybrid work arrangement.
As an organization, Inside Higher Ed, is committed to providing a safe work environment for all employees and visitors. Therefore, this position will require proof of complete COVID vaccination (the definition of full vaccination includes having received the COVID booster) before employment.
Inside Higher Ed is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an equal-opportunity employer. We are unable to sponsor visa holders for this position. No contract opportunities are available.