Visiting Assistant Professor of Biology - Anatomy & PhysiologyJob Description:
As a part of diverse community of faculty and staff who represent many faith systems and worldviews, the Department of Biology at Marian University in Indianapolis, IN seeks a dynamic and innovative leader for the position of Visiting Assistant Professor in Biology. The successful applicant will promote our Catholic Franciscan mission and identity by demonstrating academic excellence and the potential for distinctive contributions to the holistic development of students. Teaching-focused candidates in Anatomy, Physiology, or closely related fields are encouraged to apply. The appointment shall begin in the fall of 2023.The Department of Biology at Marian University is a collaborative academic community committed to fostering student engagement, active learning, problem solving, and hands-on learning. The department offers B.S. and B.A. degrees in Biology with B.S. concentrations in Cell and Molecular Biology, Health Science, Exercise Science, Environmental Biology, and Environmental Science with emphasis on developing transformative leaders for service to the world in a variety of areas of healthcare, government, and education. We are committed to ensuring equitable access to opportunities and resources for people of any race, ethnicity, religious belief, gender identity, age, economic background, disability status, or any other social or physical component of their identity. Through our curriculum, our classrooms, our scholarship, our outreach to the community, and ourselves, we seek to acknowledge and carefully address existing biases, barriers, and uses and abuses of power and privilege. This commitment to reducing discrimination and promoting diversity and inclusion is rooted in the Franciscan Values of Marian University, which make social justice an indispensable part of our calling.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively engage the Catholic Franciscan mission and identity of Marian University by modeling the Franciscan Sponsorship Values, honoring the legacy of the founding congregation, promoting unity in diversity, and integrating the Catholic Franciscan intellectual traditions in courses, programs, and services.
- Teaching Load: Marian utilizes a diversified work plan model. Most full-time faculty teach 3-4 courses per semester.
- Teach lectures and labs in Anatomy and Physiology as well as lectures and laboratories in related areas depending on the expertise of the successful candidate and departmental needs.
- Share in the ongoing development and implementation of department and college activities and projects.
- Engage in research, scholarship, and other professional activities.
- Participate in the life of the campus and university service, including participation in faculty governance and co-curricular programs.
- Actively engage the Catholic Franciscan mission and identity of Marian University by modeling the Franciscan Sponsorship Values and honoring the legacy of the founding congregation through transformative education, unity in diversity, leadership through service, integrating faith and life, and institutional policies.
- Other duties as assigned
- A Masters or Ph.D. in Biology with expertise in Anatomy and/or Physiology.
- Demonstrated potential for excellence and innovation in student-centered instruction.
- Demonstrated interest in curriculum and program development.
- Potential for ongoing scholarship including but not limited to research, publication, and activity in professional associations.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to be a team player who can collaborate with colleagues of diverse backgrounds.
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion that ensures all types of students can succeed.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applications require a cover letter, a current CV, contact information for three professional references, and responses to the supplemental mission questions.
Marian University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.Preferred Qualifications:
Please Review Marian University’s Mission & Identity Statement before responding to the supplementary questions on your application:Posting Number:
P109FOpen Until Filled:
NoQuick Link for Internal Postings: