We are seeking an Administrative Specialist
who will manage the administrative and operational activities for the Hopkins Extreme Materials Institute (HEMI). This person must maintain a high degree of professionalism and confidentiality, comfortably taking initiative and exercising independent judgment to resolve issues. This position manages the day-to-day administrative activities in HEMI and its associated research centers. This position has the primary responsibility for supervising at least 2 FTEs including the Administrative Coordinator for HEMI, and the Senior Administrative Coordinator assigned to the Materials Science in Extreme Environments program (MSEE).Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Supervise two Administrative Coordinators in the Hopkins Extreme Materials Institute with hire/fire/discipline authority.
- Train, provide technical support, and administrative direction for the administrative staff supporting HEMI and its associated centers; MSEE and the Center of Artificial Intelligence for Materials in Extreme Environments (CAIMEE).
- Supports the Senior Administrative Manager for HEMI in the management and skill development of administrative staff.
- Manage and provide comprehensive administrative and project support to the Directors of HEMI, MSEE, CAIMEE and the Senior Administrative Manager.
- Manage the administering of HEMI academic projects such as: Short courses (10-12 annually); Guest Speakers; Colloquia; administer and maintain HEMI Extreme Science Internship (ESI $500,000 internship program between HEMI and Morgan State University); administer and maintain the HEMI Extreme Arts Program.
- Manage and coordinate activities surrounding any HEMI Faculty searches.
- Manage and coordinate the planning of special projects and events, office activities, and committee meetings as requested.
- Manages special projects including: Annual Mach Conference, Extreme Arts program, HEMI Bootcamp program.
- Work closely with the HEMI Grants and Contracts Manager and Budget Analyst to oversee the administrative tasks necessary for smooth operation of sub-contracts, internally funded operations, and other projects.
- Serve as the international employee liaison and manage the visa process for all international appointments to include the communication and coordination with third-party visa sponsors and the Johns Hopkins Office of International Services.
- Oversee and approve procurement transactions via SAP and P-Card process (orders placed, deliveries, shipments, follow up on status)
- Manage processes and staff around overall administrative functions of HEMI including: room reservations; calendaring; travel coordination; front desk duties, etc.
- Draft, prepare, proofread, and edit confidential/sensitive information for signature.
- Oversee and coordinate the data entry maintenance of the HEMI personnel database (CRAEDL) to ensure accuracy and data entry integrity.
- Assist in defining and documenting standard office policies and processes for HEMI.
- Manage processes around HEMI credentialing/appointments; send and maintain appointment letters.
- Manage all aspects of the HEMI Seminar account including tracking expenditures, coordinating purchases and supplies, submitting invoices, and reimbursements for travel, etc.
- Monitor grant budgets, monthly expenditures, reconcile accounts, and compile reports. Process all reimbursements and other expenses.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree.
- Five years in providing high-level expertise.
- Additional related experience may substitute for required education, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Experience providing management support including demonstrated writing ability to compose written and electronic communications and demonstrated interpersonal skills to transact with a range of internal and external contacts required.
- Experience in administrative support in an office setting including calendaring, word processing, data research, travel arrangements, minutes, maintaining filing systems and working with confidential materials.
- Exceptional oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated organizational skills with proven ability to effectively prioritize workload.
- Proven ability to multi-task and process data quickly with a high level of accuracy.
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team.
- Ability to work effectively with faculty, staff and students from a variety of diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to take initiative and be proactive with workload and meet deadlines.
- Excellent computer literacy, word processing, and spreadsheet skills (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint).
- Demonstrated proficiency with a variety of software applications including spreadsheets and presentation software required.
- Previous work experience in administration at a higher education institution with a strong customer service orientation preferred.
- Knowledge of SAP is desirable but not required.
- Knowledge of JHU policies, procedures, and administrative/financial systems is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to make independent judgments and to act on decisions. Ability to work on complex tasks without direction.
- Ability to work with flexibility on several tasks simultaneously and to meet various concurrent deadlines.
- Very strong organizational skills, analytical and problem-solving abilities, and attention to detail.
- Applicants for this position may be required to complete skills assessments appropriate to the position description.
Classified Title: Administrative Specialist
Starting Salary Range: $52,230-$71,890-$91,550 Annually (Commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: Hybrid/Homewood Campus
Department name: Hopkins Extreme Materials Institute
Personnel area: Whiting School of Engineering
The referenced salary range is based on Johns Hopkins University's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level. Johns Hopkins offers a total rewards package that supports our employees' health, life, career and retirement. More information can be found here: https://hr.jhu.edu/benefits-worklife/
Please refer to the job description above to see which forms of equivalency are permitted for this position. If permitted, equivalencies will follow these guidelines:
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
**Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check. Johns Hopkins is committed to hiring individuals with a justice-involved background, consistent with applicable policies and current practice. A prior criminal history does not automatically preclude candidates from employment at Johns Hopkins University. In accordance with applicable law, the university will review, on an individual basis, the date of a candidate's conviction, the nature of the conviction and how the conviction relates to an essential job-related qualification or function.
The Johns Hopkins University values diversity, equity and inclusion and advances these through our key strategic framework, the JHU Roadmap on Diversity and Inclusion.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
EEO is the Law
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711. For more information about workplace accommodations or accessibility at Johns Hopkins University, please visit accessibility.jhu.edu.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/ and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.
The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
To apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Administrative-Specialist/1012904500/
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency