Inside Higher Ed, the leading source for the latest news, analysis, and services for the entire higher education community, is seeking a Digital Producer to enhance the visual presentation of our news content. The Producer will curate the home page and work closely with reporters and editors to incorporate multimedia elements into stories, ensuring that photos, graphics, and videos inform and engage online readers and viewers.
The role’s preferred location is the Washington, D.C., area with a hybrid office schedule. The role has the potential to be largely remote for the right candidate.
- Curate and update the Inside Higher Ed home page
- Select and place photos and other multimedia in articles
- Publish newsletters
- Send breaking news alerts and emails
- Create news-based charts and graphics
- Collaborate with reporters and editors to envision and create digital content
- Assist with various publishing tasks
- Work in areas including social media, video, and podcasting
- Stay up to date with emerging trends and best practices in digital journalism
- At least 2 years of experience working in a digital or web production role for a publisher, preferably a news outlet
- Familiarity with content management systems and newsroom workflow tools
- Experience with visual editing, design, and/or data visualization software (such as Canva, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, XD, Flourish, and Tableau)
- A bachelor's degree (preferably in journalism, media, or a related field)
- Experience working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Availability to work late afternoon and evening hours and, potentially, one weekend day
- Excellent and accurate writing skills and attention to detail
- Strong news judgment and editorial sensibilities
- An excellent “eye” for good photos and digital aesthetics
- Ability to work in a friendly, collaborative culture while also being able to rapidly respond to urgent news events
- A journalism education or background
- Familiarity with higher education issues and topics
- Copy editing experience
- Experience as a photographer and/or photo editor
- Familiarity with HTML
- Experience with and/or training in Data Journalism
- Experience with and/or training in Data Visualization and graphics creation
Inside Higher Ed publishes breaking news, features, commentary, blogs, and other content (including audio and video) each weekday. We are an authoritative, independent voice for our 2.5 million unique monthly users and 275,000 e-mail subscribers.
Inside Higher Ed provides a competitive salary commensurate with experience as well as a generous slate of benefits and a convenient location in the heart of downtown Washington, DC. We work hard and believe in the value of work-life balance - and donuts. If you’re looking for an opportunity to work collaboratively with smart and dedicated colleagues, apply today and let us know why you’d be a great fit.
Inside Higher Ed is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. We are unable to sponsor this position. No contract opportunities are available
Inside Higher Ed is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer.