We have two posts available for Research Information System officers, which sits within the Research Information Systems Team (RIST) in the Research Management and Innovation Directorate (RMID). If successful you will provide high quality administrative support across various research information systems used throughout King s, with a primary focus on either Worktribe, the research grants management system or Pure our current research information system.
Worktribe is used to manage costings from bid development through to post award management and has a user base comprising the Pre and Post Award and Contracts Teams, as well as support staff and academics within the Faculties.
Pure is used at Kings College London (KCL), to record all research outputs and is the main tool used by the College to manage information that is submitted to the Research Excellence Framework (REF).
The other systems supported by the team that may require administrative support from time to time will be:
- Inteum Intellectual property (IP) and licensing system
- Stratocore Research equipment booking
- Pure Current research information system (CRIS) used to record research outputs
- SITS Student records management (postgraduate students)
The post holder will require the ability to manage their own workload, set priorities, problem solve and make decisions on a day-today basis.
A key responsibility will be to handle routine and complex queries from the RMID Helpdesk or other sources, providing front line support to colleagues within RMID and the wider research community within the Faculties.
As well as being a subject matter expert in Worktribe, or Pure, the post holder will become familiar with research information systems support across the University and be able to speak knowledgeably and coherently to a diverse group of stakeholders with broad ranging familiarity of the subject.
In addition, a critical part of the post is the ability to handle, in Excel, the manipulation of data in order the answer specific questions, routine reports and ad hoc requests; ensuring the needs of the end user are met in a useful and timely way.
Both positions are available on a full time (35 hours) and permanent basis.
- Develop significant expertise on Pure and be the frontline support within RIST for these systems and any queries from RMID Helpdesk or other sources
- Support, where needed, other research information systems supported by RIST e.g. Inteum, Stratocore, Worktribe, SITS
- Provide overall data quality monitoring on research information systems proactively carrying out routine data clean-up jobs as well as reactively responding when issues emerge.
- Work closely to support colleagues within RMID, the Library and across the Faculties.
- With expert understanding of the data, provide regular and ad-hoc reporting to RMID, the Library and the wider Research Community using data from research information systems.
- Support the Senior Research Systems Administrator responsible for Pure (or responsible for other systems when needed).
- Assist the RMID Training Lead and Senior Research Administrator with training new users.
- Provide website and communication support
- Ad-hoc office administration e.g. arranging meetings, paying invoices, raising PO s., managing the RIST SharePoint site
Whilst working within the framework agreed with the Senior Research Systems Administrator and Head of RIST, the post holder is expected to manage their own workload and demonstrate flexibility in anticipating and responding to the shifting and competing demands on their own, and the wider team s, time. It is expected that, following a period of training and development in the role the postholder will work with minimum regular supervision but will refer to their line-managers for advice on issues that fall outside existing tasks and responsibilities.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
- Educated to degree level or relevant experience
- Excellent administration and organisational skills underpinned by proven strong IT Skills including MS Office suite
- A demonstratable ability to work unsupervised on a day-to-day basis
- Attention to detail in a data driven environment
- Excellent communication skills with a demonstratable ability to interact with stakeholders at all levels.
- Experience of using research information systems (e.g. Worktribe, Pure or similar)
- Ability to work proactively when under pressure in a busy environment
- A commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion, actively addressing areas of potential bias
- Proven commitment to ongoing skill development
- Experience of working in the Higher Education sector
These are newly created posts, established to help meet the demand of Pure & Worktribe support within the College. The post holder will benefit from support and development from colleagues in Research Information Systems and wider within RMID.
We ask all candidates to submit a copy of their CV, and a supporting statement, detailing how they meet the essential criteria listed in the advert. If we receive a strong field of candidates, we may use the desirable criteria to choose our final shortlist, so please include your evidence against these where possible.