The Office of the Vice President for Research at Chapman University, a private, independent, coeducational university founded in 1861 that has developed two campuses, is seeking a full-time Assistant Vice President (AVP) of Research Integrity and Compliance. The AVP, who reports to the Vice President for Research, is Chapman University’s Research Integrity and Compliance officer responsible for research integrity, regulatory compliance, and adherence to contracts, sub-awards, and research-related agreements to federal, state, and local rules, regulations, policies, and guidelines.
The Assistant Vice President manages all the critical research compliance areas, including conflicts of interest, export control compliance programs and human subject and animal research; oversees and provides expert advice and leadership in areas related to research integrity and compliance issues for Chapman University, as prescribed by federal, state, and university policy. The AVP leads a team of seven staff.
The mission of Chapman University is to provide personalized education of distinction that leads to inquiring, ethical, and productive lives as global citizens. The primary academic and residential campus is in Orange, CA, south and east of Los Angeles. The Rinker Health Science Campus is in Irvine, CA. Chapman’s enrollment is approximately 10,000 students, 7,656 of them undergrads and 2,345 grad students. The university employs approximately 1,100 faculty and 750 staff. Chapman became an R2 Carnegie Classification university, denoting “high research activity,” in 2019. In FY 2022, Chapman’s total revenue surpassed $450M, including $34.2M in research expenditures, $11.1M of it from federal sources. FY2022’s research expenditures more than doubled the FY2017 figure. Specific qualifications include:
- Minimum of 7 years of compliance related experience with at least 3 years of leading a research compliance and integrity related function at a university, research institute, research hospital, or governmental regulatory agency
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- Demonstrated success in developing, implementing, and monitoring policies to ensure compliance with the regulations sustained by federal funding agencies such as NIH, NSF, DOD, NASA, and other federal agencies
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and communication skills, both written and oral
- Demonstrated personal and professional commitments to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
- Leadership in a managerial position with demonstrated ability to collaborate, supervise, and form partnerships
- Strong organizational skills and ability to independently manage multiple projects with conflicting priorities
- Ability to develop and apply policies and procedures
- Technical skills to have the ability to learn and use enterprise systems and tools necessary for the position
- Ability to use diplomacy and tact, and work with confidential information
- Ability to interpret and ensure university and department policies and procedures
Desired additional qualifications
- JD or a Master’s or PhD degree in a scientific or engineering field with at least 3 years of experience and professional expertise in areas related to research integrity and compliance
This role has the potential for a hybrid work arrangement according to Chapman’s flexible work guidelines. The salary range for the role is $160,000-205,000. The full position description can be viewed here.
Chapman University has retained Opus Partners (www.opuspartners.net) to support this recruitment. Craig Smith, Partner, and Marisea Rivera, Senior Associate, are managing the search process. Confidential inquiries, applications, and nominations should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. In order to interview with representatives of Chapman University, candidates must formally apply via Opus Partners and must provide a resume, a cover letter, and a statement of contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Please consult Opus Partners for more information about the application process.
Chapman University is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community. The University is dedicated to enhancing diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruitment and employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. The University is committed to achieving a diverse faculty and staff and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply.