Nurse Practitioner Fellow
The Gastroenterology and Hepatology division is seeking a licensed Nurse Practitioner Fellow
in an intensive 12-month training program designed to provide advanced didactic education and focused clinical experiences so that graduates have the skills and knowledge to provide high-quality care in the specialty of Gastroenterology and Hepatology. The program includes both inpatient and outpatient rotations to expose the fellow to a variety of acute and chronic conditions. Furthermore, the fellow participates in several sub-specialty clinics that may include inflammatory bowel disease, pancreatic disease, motility disorders, nutrition, and transplant hepatology to acquire further expertise in these clinical areas.
The Nurse Practitioner Fellowship Program also provides a means to help transition the nurse practitioner into a career in the specialty of gastroenterology in order to better prepare them to provide exceptional patient care in this field. With fellowship training, the nurse practitioner strengthens knowledge bases and clinical acumen to become a confident independent practitioner. For the division, the fellowship allows for better utilization of nurse practitioners in our specialty, as we are in the midst of a provider shortage that has led to a dramatic rise in number of nurse practitioners used in practice. Through the fellowship, we can ensure our nurse practitioner fellows acquire the necessary knowledge and skills to provide high level specialty care, which in turn increases overall patient satisfaction and improves patient outcomes. Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Establishes joint practice with designated providers where follow up patients have a venue to be seen and cared for in tandem with the provider's clinic.
- Establishes a primary practice separate from a designated provider where urgent add on patients (recently discharged, recently hospitalized, urgent medical issues appropriate for clinic, new symptoms related to an existing problem) could be triaged and reviewed as needed.
- Helps manage and triage complex care that happens with patients who have been seen in the practice.
- Reviews difficult cases with the physician and less complex cases independently.
- Reviews intake form and past medical records for appropriateness.
- Performs detailed patient interviews and physicals.
- Creates detailed patient care plans and provides patient education.
- Counsels and teaches patients and family members in regard to disease process and expected outcomes.
- Dictates/documents pertinent data into EPIC that is necessary in the care of the patient and communicates with collaborates and/or referring providers.
- Makes referrals to other specialists as indicated by patient's condition.
- Reviews and interprets ordered test results. Releases results to patient via phone, MyChart message, or letter with explanations to patients.
- Provides telephonic or electronic MyChart message responses to patient questions and concerns that a MOC or nurse cannot answer.
- Refills urgent prescriptions and/or tracks current prescriptions for patients receiving ongoing care.
- Assist with medication prior authorizations and appeals.
- Assist MOC with procedure pre-authorizations as needed.
Customer Service & Teamwork Responsibilities
- Warmly greets patients, visitors, and colleagues.
- Assists with answering phone calls related to patient care. Is courteous and pleasant in person and on the telephone with coworkers, patients, visitors, and supervisors. Utilizes proper telephone etiquette. Verbally expresses appreciation when ending a conversation with a caller.
- Handles and resolves patient complaints non-defensively and without blame to other employees.
- Seeks to satisfy a dissatisfied customer.
- Is generous in assisting and supporting others.
Computer Knowledge Expectations
- Operates personal computer to access email, computerized scheduling, time reporting, and documentation databases, and other basic office support software.
- Successfully completes all necessary EPIC training courses and other applicable clinical software systems.
- Completes all required HIPAA and other specified online training courses.
- Other duties may be assigned by the employees' immediate clinical supervisor, Assistant Administrator for the Division, or a healthcare provider in order to ensure an efficient office that will assist the Division in fulfilling its mission.
- Sitting in normal seated position and standing on feet for extended periods of time.
- Ability to use a keyboard and move about.
- Ability to see and hear within normal parameters.
- Master's Degree in Nursing, Registered Nurse license and Certified as a Nurse Practitioner.
- Successful completion of a national certification examination and certification as a Nurse Practitioner with licensure in the state of Maryland. Additional licensure in Washington, D.C. may also be required.
- Familiarity with regulations and standards governing NPs in the state of Maryland and District of Columbia.
- Required to complete JHH credentialing process prior to start date.
- Graduate school clinical rotation in gastroenterology.
- Strong oral and written communication skills required.
- Demonstrated ability for self-direction and initiation required.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team required.
- Must be able to prioritize responsibilities and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated customer service skills required.
Classified Title: Nurse Practitioner Fellow
Starting Salary Range: $50,000.00
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F 8:00am - 5:00pm, hours may vary
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: JH at Greenspring Station
Department name: SOM DOM Gastroenterology
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The referenced salary range is based on Johns Hopkins University's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level. Johns Hopkins offers a total rewards package that supports our employees' health, life, career and retirement. More information can be found here: https://hr.jhu.edu/benefits-worklife/
Please refer to the job description above to see which forms of equivalency are permitted for this position. If permitted, equivalencies will follow these guidelines:
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
**Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check. Johns Hopkins is committed to hiring individuals with a justice-involved background, consistent with applicable policies and current practice. A prior criminal history does not automatically preclude candidates from employment at Johns Hopkins University. In accordance with applicable law, the university will review, on an individual basis, the date of a candidate's conviction, the nature of the conviction and how the conviction relates to an essential job-related qualification or function.
The Johns Hopkins University values diversity, equity and inclusion and advances these through our key strategic framework, the JHU Roadmap on Diversity and Inclusion.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
EEO is the Law
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711. For more information about workplace accommodations or accessibility at Johns Hopkins University, please visit accessibility.jhu.edu.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/ and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.
The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
To apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Columbia-Nurse-Practitioner-Fellow-MD-21045/1000694700/
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency