Maintenance Technician Location:
Facilities Services Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
Staff Posting Details Appointment:
regular, full-time, (1.0 FTE)Position Summary:
This position performs routine maintenance including, but not limited to; painting, rough and finish carpentry, drywall work and repairs, plasterwork, tile repair. Construction of new spaces in buildings and maintenance repair and building new items such as walls, ceilings, shelves, counter tops, cabinets, etc. All the tasks above are examples of normal construction trade work which centers on repair, modification and new work.Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities:
- Has interaction with the students, based upon entering residence spaces to complete assigned work orders.
- Interacts with faculty, entering office and residence spaces to complete assigned work orders.
- Communicate and work with other university committees or university staff as needed.
- Coordinate with clients to determine what time schedule is best to get the work completed.
- Paints, all interior and exterior surfaces.
- Repairs, patches, tapes, textures, primes and paints drywall, plaster, block, wood surfaces etc.
- Installs drywall and completes finishes.
- Stains, varnishes, refinishes wood etc.
- Fabricate, repair, modify and install doors and windows.
- Replace glass, floor tile, ceramic tile and other similar building tasks.
- Install door and window hardware, hinges, locksets, panic hardware, sliding hardware, closures, etc.
- Construct, demolish, remodel buildings, form and pour concrete, walls, floors, and sidewalks.
- Repairs and installs a variety of roofing types; clay tile, torchdown, shingles, hotmap etc. including flashing.
- Performs a variety of finishing building trade tasks such as, construction, repair, modify and install ,cabinets, furniture, shelves, countertops, exhaust fans, skylights, chalk and bulletin boards, mailboxes, toilet partitions etc.
- Install, repair or modify sheetrock or plaster surfaces and plastic laminated surfaces. Repair rubber cove-base and stair treads. Tape and texture sheetrock, tuck point brick, and caulk joint.
- Work with and assist other skilled trades-persons of a different trade when assigned.
- Watches for safety of self and co-workers; follows safe working practices and procedures. Possess or able to obtain all licenses or cards of authorization such as Power Activated Tool Use.
- Ability to problem solving. Must be able to determine the problem and come up with an appropriate solution.
- Ability to lift or carry up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to push or pull up to 50 pounds.
- Other duties as assigned.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This position has no budget responsibilities.Qualifications:
Compensation and Benefits
- 1 year of experience in related field.
- Must be able to perform a variety of tasks with minimal of direction.
- Ability of effectively communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to read and interpret sketches, blue prints.
- Can effectively use tape measures, transit/level and other similar measuring tools.
- Ability to lift and carry heavy construction tools and equipment, as well as the following building materials; plywood, lumber, wheelbarrow, concrete, doors, windows, sheetrock etc.
- Use standard construction equipment; i.e. saws, drill press, jointers, planners, compressors, compactors, and a variety of hand and powered tools. Abel to use ladders, high lift, snorkel lift, and Fall Protection Equipment etc.
- Must be able to work at significant heights above the ground and in confined spaces.
- Customer service orientation is vital for a successful candidate.
- Must have the ability to plan, reason, and make decisions independently, as well as in a group setting.
- Must have the ability to work across trade lines and areas of expertise.
- Must be able to work independently as well as in a team setting.
- Forklift and High-lift training required. Ability to work at heights of up to 40’ on ladder and 65 feet on snorkel lift.
- Ability to respectfully work, communicate and provide leadership within a diverse campus community.
: The range for this position is $23.00 - $24.92 per hour. Decisions about starting salaries are made based on the extent and relatedness of the candidate's education and experience and on internal equity and market considerations. Puget Sound offers a generous benefits package for eligible staff employees, including:
Medical, dental, and visionLife insurance and long-term disabilityEmployee Assistance ProgramRetirement plan options and 403(b) contributionsPaid vacation, sick leave, floating holiday, campus holidays and bonus holidaysEducation benefits, such as full tuition for eligible employees and their familiesAccess to university facilities and entertainment (fitness center, pool, library, concerts, lectures and more!)Please note:
-Positions that work less than .75 FTE (1,560 hours per year) do not qualify for long-term disability or education benefits.
-Positions that work less than .50 FTE (1,040 hours per year) will accrue paid sick leave but are not eligible for additional benefits.
-Temporary positions that work at least .50 FTE (1,040 hours per year) will be eligible for benefits after 6 months of continuous employment.This position is non-exempt from the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act. For more information on Puget Sound’s non-exempt staff benefits package, visit: https://www.pugetsound.edu/sites/default/files/2023-02/2023%20Benefits%20for%20Non-Exempt%20Staff.docx.pdf
For the Campus Holiday and Bonus Day Schedule, visit: www.pugetsound.edu/human-resources.Application Deadline:
Review of application materials will begin immediately.
Search and selection procedures will be closed when a sufficient number of qualified candidates have been identified. Required Documents:
Applications submitted without the required attachments will not be considered. All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of all required background checks.
We acknowledge the richness of commonalities and differences we share as a university community; the intrinsic worth of all who work and study here; that education is enhanced by investigation of and reflection upon multiple perspectives.We aspire to create respect for and appreciation of all persons as a key characteristic of our campus community; to increase the diversity of all parts of our University community through commitment to diversity in our recruitment and retention efforts; to foster a spirit of openness to active engagement among all members of our campus community.We act to achieve an environment that welcomes and supports diversity; to ensure full educational opportunity for all who teach and learn here; to prepare effectively citizen-leaders for a pluralistic world.
Puget Sound is committed to an environment that welcomes and supports diversity. We seek diversity of identity, thought, perspective, and background in our students, faculty, and staff. To learn more please visit: https://pugetsound.edu/about-puget-sound-0/mission-core-values/institutional-equity-diversity
The University of Puget Sound is an equal opportunity employer.