Job no: 494640
Position Type: Part-Time
Location: Elgin, IL
Experience Level: Entry-Level
Categories: Office Support
Role: Administrative Assistant I
Elgin Community College serves over 9,000 students at every stage of their educational journeys, including university transfer programs, career and technical education, continuing education classes, and adult basic education. As a community, we pride ourselves on nurturing a welcoming campus where every person—students, staff members, faculty members, and campus visitors—feels valued. The work of each ECC employee is central to the college’s mission, and as an employer, the college fosters a positive environment through professional challenges, excellent benefits, and opportunities for recognition and camaraderie.
Must be willing to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the department.
Rate of Pay:
This position is a grade 9 with a minimum of $15.43. Hourly rate offer will be commensurate with the education/experience, in alignment with the College’s compensation philosophy, and the current CBA, if applicable.
An employee in this classification performs work of routine difficulty by providing clerical and administrative support to the Student Access & Disability Services office. Work is distinguished by the ability to perform well defined, semi-routine functions with supervision and requires basic technical knowledge of the department. General supervision is received from the Director of ADA, Student Access & Disability Services.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
1. High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
2. Good knowledge in Microsoft Office software and use of the Internet.
3. Working skill in written and verbal communication and customer service.
Desired Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
1. Some knowledge in using databases, including enterprise-wide databases (e.g. Datatel).
- Receive, sort, file and retrieve forms, correspondence and documents, exercising discretion when working with confidential information.
- Compile reports and summaries of work; update, check and complete records, forms and documents.
- Verify discrepancies and make corrections.
- Process documents to update and maintain files/records.
- Research records and disburse information.
- Establish and maintain filing systems.
- Compose, format and type routine correspondence, reports and other documents.
- Provide general reception duties.
- Answer and route telephone calls.
- Coordinate calendars, schedules, training, travel arrangements, meetings and special events.
- Maintain or process account records, accounts receivable or accounts payable. May monitor, reconcile or process transfers for budget accounts.
- Operate a variety of office equipment.
- Order office and program supplies, including arranging for equipment maintenance.
- Orient, train or back up other clerical staff.
1. Perform other job-related duties as assigned which pertain to the job description.
2. Ability to work a flexible schedule which includes days/evenings/weekends as needed by the department.
Light (up to 25 lbs occasionally or 10 lbs frequently)
Close visual acuity (e.g. computer, assembly)
Typical office or administrative
Current SSECCA Union Member Information:
The initial posting date for this position is 05/25/2023. Elgin Community College Support Staff of Elgin Community College Association (SSECCA) members that apply by 06/05/2023 and meet the posted minimum qualifications will receive full consideration.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Elgin Community College does not discriminate, or tolerate discrimination, against any member of its community on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex/gender/gender identity, age, religion, disability, pregnancy, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law in matters of admissions, employment, or in any aspect of the educational programs or activities it offers.
In addition, Elgin Community College provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment practices, educational opportunities, and programs and services. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the College’s EEO/AA Officer. Determinations on request for a reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Advertised: August 1, 2023 Central Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled