: Career and Transfer CenterLocations:
: Des Plaines, ILPosted:
: May 9, 2023Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: Full Time StaffPosition ID:
About Oakton College :
For 50 years, Oakton College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Paid winter break
FRIDAYS OFF during the summer
Hybrid Work Schedules
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Reporting to the Coordinator of the Career and Transfer Center, the Career and Transfer Coach is responsible for educating, guiding and preparing students for the transition from Oakton Community College to a transfer institution or employment career. The Career and Transfer Coach assists students, alumni, and community members with major and career exploration, transfer support, career coaching, and job search strategies and decision making.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Guide students with understanding the relationship between self-knowledge and major/career/transfer choice through formal and informal self-assessments. Administer and interpret personality, major, and career assessment instruments.
- Build relationships with students through one-on-one interviews, personal and professional interactions, and through formal and informal student engagement opportunities. Empower students to make reasoned and researched major/career/transfer choices and develop realistic implementation plans.
- Advise students with preparing and reviewing resumes and cover letters, interview skills, and job search profiles. Deliver instructive and constructive critiques to improve job preparedness and professional presentation of self.
- Outreach, develop, and facilitate programs/workshops to various campus audiences to prepare students on aspects of transfer, job search, and employment. Collaborate with students, internal and external stakeholders, and business partners to develop and facilitate successful transfer support and career development.
- Work with career and technical education program faculty and/or chairs to collect and track job placement opportunities; support students in seeking professional employment; and compile data and prepare reports regarding job development and placement efforts.
- Initiate and maintain personal contacts with business and industry representatives to set up recruitment profiles; schedule and visit potential and existing employers to identify and develop positions for students; and promote Oakton's job recruitment services.
- Assist with organizing and implementing job and transfer fairs, including the solicitation of businesses and colleges, marketing event to appropriate audiences, and coordinating logistical components.
- Collaborate with the Office of Advising, Transitions, and Student Success to teach new and continuing students how to access major and career exploration and transfer support programs/services.
- Review resumes uploaded to the College's online job board and provide feedback to job seekers regarding industry standards and suggestions for improvements when needed.
- Assist with preparing and publishing reports for tracking, departmental, and accreditation purposes.
- Foster and participate in team building and cross-training of students, staff, and management for the functional areas represented in the Enrollment Center.
- Participate in Student Success initiatives such as early alert program, student success coaching, and first year experience programming.
- Promote unconditional positive regard and model enthusiasm, courtesy, and professionalism when dealing with students, staff, faculty, and community members.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- Bachelor's degree in college student personnel, higher education administration, counseling, psychology, or related field is required, or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired as necessary. Master's degree in a related field preferred.
- Two years of professional experience in university/college setting, business, or human resources is required. Two years of experience working with undecided college students preferred.
- Strong knowledge of higher education admission processes to support the successful transfer of community college students.
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills. Demonstrated ability to plan, coordinate, prioritize, and effectively execute multiple initiatives, programs, and events and meet established deadlines.
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal, and oral and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to establish and develop productive and collegial relationships with students, staff and faculty.
- Proven track record of building, developing, and maintaining relationships with team members and meeting individual and departmental goals.
- Ability to maintain accurate, confidential records and prepare reports.
- Ability to interact professionally and tactfully with people of different levels of education, cultural backgrounds, and life experiences, and to exhibit an adequate level of respect to fellow employees and the College community at large.
Functional supervision is received from the Coordinator, Career and Transfer Center. Administrative supervision is received from the Dean of Student Success.
HOURS: Monday - Friday 8:30 am - 5:15 pm
Based on the needs of the college and with Administrator approval, some positions at the college may have hybrid schedule options available after 30 working days. .
Oakton is accessible by public transportation.
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application.
Oakton College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.