Present Position Number:
01356WRole Code Title:
PR & Marketing Specialist IIIPosition Title:
Communications & Web Specialist (A&S Dean's Office)Unit Mission Statement:
Under the leadership of the Dean, the office of the Dean of the Faculty of Arts & Sciences provides a voice for the Faculty of the Arts & Sciences; strives to meet the needs of individual departments and programs; promotes excellence across Arts & Sciences as a whole; and represents the priorities of Arts & Sciences to the larger university community. In addition to the Dean of the Faculty, the Dean’s Office also has four vice deans and two assistant deans who are responsible for day-to-day management of the graduate and undergraduate programs and who serve as the primary administrative liaisons to assigned departments and programs.Position Summary:
The Faculty of Arts & Sciences seeks qualified applicants for the position of Communications and Web Specialist, reporting to the Director of Communications and Special Projects. This position will play a key role in developing a digital communications strategy while effectively managing website content and serving as the dedicated Cascade Manager in support of all offices and academic units across the division of Arts & Sciences. The successful candidate will demonstrate strong technical skills, adaptability, and possess a high level of attention to detail.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Troubleshooting technical issues, and guiding information architecture and website problem solving support for academic units and offices across Arts & Sciences.
- Facilitating communications projects and initiatives launched by the Dean’s Office through a variety of platforms to include strategic communications; research and news writing; public relations; and/or digital media skills such as graphic design, video editing, web analytics, and social media management.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information science, educational technology, communications or marketing, or a related field or a combination of education and experience.
- Extensive professional experience in web design, preferably in higher education or government
- Demonstrated software skills in web design, including website analytics
- Demonstrated proficiency using HTML
- Excellent analytical skills with ability to research technical issues and recommend solutions
- Knowledge of web standards, accessibility, and usability
- Knowledge of design, information architecture and user experience principles
- Prior experience managing a complex web site using a content management system (Cascade preferred)
- Prior experience presenting technical information to a nontechnical audience and conducting on-site training
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; and to effectively work with multi-cultural constituencies that includes faculty, staff, students and technical resources
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively, independently and with cross-functional teams, and utilize highly effective organizational skills to managing multiple, and often conflicting deadlines and projects.
Advertised Pay Range:
- Master’s degree in a relevant field such as computer science, information science, communications, or marketing or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Broad knowledge of communications strategies executed through electronic and online media
- Advanced software skills in web design, including website analytics
Up to $55,000 commensurate with experience.Department:
3K1100 Dean of Arts & Sciences OfficeLocation:
William & MaryIs the position remote work eligible?:
Hybrid (works remotely at least 1 day per week but not full-time)Remote Work Disclaimer:
Remote work eligibility is not guaranteed and is subject to approval. Employee eligibility depends on the likelihood of the employee succeeding in a remote work arrangement and the supervisor’s ability to manage remote workers. Departments and/or Human Resources may amend, alter, change, delete, or modify eligibility.Job Open Date:
05/18/2023Job Close Date:
06/08/2023Open Until Filled:
Full Time OperationalFLSA:
12 Month - ContinuingConditions of Employment:
This is a non-exempt position, eligible to receive overtime in accordance with the Fair Labor Standards Act. This position may be subject to overtime during high peak times, etc. as directed and approved by the supervisor.EEO Statement:
William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The university is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.Background Check Statement:
William & Mary is committed to providing a safe campus community. W&M conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.Benefits Summary Statement:
William & Mary offers our employees a full array of benefits including retirement, health insurance with options for expanded dental and vision along with group and optional life insurance with coverage for spouse and children, flexible spending accounts, and an EAP (Employee Assistance Program).
Our employees enjoy additional university benefits such as educational assistance, professional development, wellness benefits, and a robust holiday schedule. All employees have access to fitness facilities on campus. Staff members also have access to the university libraries, and much more. To learn more, go to: https://www.wm.edu/offices/hr/currentemployees/benefits/index.php