Biology Instructor (Reedley College) Part-Time Faculty PoolCampus Location:
Reedley CollegeEssential Functions of Position:
The ideal candidate will share Reedley College’s commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. As of fall 2017, we currently enroll over 10,000 students of which 71% are Latinx, 1% are Filipino, 3% are Asian, 2% are African American, 19% are White, and 2% are multiracial. RC is a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community. The successful candidate will join a department dedicated to the use of curriculum responsive to the students it serves.
Providing instruction in Biology in a variety of instructional settings and times, including evening and/or weekends, on-line or off-campus and large group instruction classes as needed, the instructor will be responsible for:
- Maintaining standards of professional conduct and ethics appropriate to the professional position and currency in teaching biology;
- Teaching classes in majors, non-majors, human biology, anatomy and physiology;
- Using a variety of pedagogies and integrating a wide range of instructional delivery systems including innovative and creative uses of technology for face-to-face, on-line, and/or hybrid formats;
- Communicating effectively with students;
- Using effective teaching methods appropriate to the subject matter, adherence to institutionally approved curriculum course outlines of record;
- Evaluating student progress through tests and examinations, written assignments, oral responses, etc. in keeping with course objectives;
- Providing course syllabi to students;
- Maintaining classroom records in accordance with District Policy;
- Turning in all required student grading and evaluation reports in a timely manner; and
- Otherwise fulfilling all of the duties and responsibilities of instructors as required by Administrative Regulation 7122.
- Master’s in any biological science;
- Bachelor’s in any biological science AND master’s in biochemistry, biophysics, or marine science;
- A valid California Community College Credential;
- The equivalent education and/or experience (requires an equivalency).
All candidates must have evidence of responsiveness to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, as these factors relate to the need for equity-minded practice within the classroom.Desirable Qualifications:
Salary and Benefits:
- Background in general biology;
- Experience teaching biology (majors, non-majors, and human biology) and human anatomy and physiology;
- Related work and professional experience;
- Experience in computer assisted instruction and other instructional technologies;
- Ability to communicate effectively (oral and written) and maintain effective working relationships with students, faculty, staff, and administration;
- Ability to develop new and current curriculum and focus on student learning outcomes to improve student learning;
- Experience working with students of various cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds;
- Recent experience working with African American, Latinx, Native American, and other racially minoritized students in the classroom and an understanding of how historical patterns of exclusions of these groups in higher education shape patterns of participation and outcomes;
- Willingness to examine and remediate one’s instructional, relational, and classroom practices to more effectively engage and support racially minoritized students;
- Experience and skill with addressing issues of equity in the classroom;
- Potential for contribution to institutional vitality and growth; and
- Knowledge of the community college and its mission and goals.
Starting rates are $45.49 – $61.78 for lecture, $38.67 – $52.55 for lab, and $38.30 – $52.05 for non-instructional. Sick leave accrual is based on assignment hours.Selection Procedure:
The selection and hiring process will be explained by the hiring department if the candidate is extended an opportunity to interview. Additional Information:
Please note: This position does not have a closing date and applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until the position(s) is/are filled. By applying for this position, you understand that you will be placed in a continuous pool. If at any time you are no longer interested in this position, please withdraw your application.
This is a part-time position. Open until filled. Start dates may vary.Additional Information about the Position:
RC College Planning SiteOpen Until Filled: