Inside Higher Ed, the leading source for the latest news, analysis and services for the world of higher education, seeks a reporter to cover the evolving landscape of college admissions and postsecondary enrollment.
The reporter will explore, among other topics, the impact of the U.S. Supreme Court’s pending decision on affirmative action on how selective colleges admit students; how traditional colleges and universities of different types are responding to enrollment declines and preparing for the forthcoming demographic “cliff”; the emergence of “direct admissions”; and how the expansion of alternative credentials and providers is affecting where students seek postsecondary education and training.
Candidates should have at least three years of full-time professional reporting experience; a background covering higher education is a plus.
The ideal candidate is creative, ambitious, tech-savvy, and familiar with – or at least passionate about -- the issues on this beat.
Inside Higher Ed has a hybrid workplace, with some presence in our downtown Washington, D.C., office preferred.
Inside Higher Ed engages in authoritative journalism that provides a mix of news, enterprise, and analysis. Our audience depends on us to help them understand not only what's happening but why it matters (or should). Our reporters mix beat reporting, analysis and creative storytelling approaches; candidates should be able to dig deep and juggle multiple articles at once.
- Monitor the latest news, research and issues that impact higher ed.
- Generate relevant and compelling story ideas that serve the needs of our readers.
- Write spot stories responding to news events and more extended pieces with more profound analysis.
- Deliver news that reflects a wide range of voices and perspectives
- Report and write with accuracy, clarity and speed
- 3 + years as a professional news reporter
- Experience in a news organization
- Excellent writing skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work with a team in a friendly, collaborative culture
- Meeting deadlines in a fast-paced news environment
- Familiarity with technology journalism, issues, and trends
- Familiarity with higher education news
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent
Inside Higher Ed publishes breaking news, features, commentary, blogs, and other content (including audio and video) each weekday. We are an authoritative, independent voice for our 2.5 million unique monthly users and 275,000 e-mail subscribers.
Inside Higher Ed offers competitive pay, good benefits (including heavily subsidized health, dental, and life insurance premiums), 18 days paid time off, and federal holidays.
To help us evaluate your capabilities, please include a résumé, cover letter outlining your interest in this role and five clips showing your range and ability to clarify the complicated.
Inside Higher Ed is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an equal-opportunity employer. We are unable to sponsor visa holders for this position. No contract opportunities are available.
This job is covered under the terms of a collective bargaining agreement with the Washington-Baltimore News Guild, CWA Local 32035.