: Student AffairsLocations:
: Schenectady, NYPosted:
: May 3, 2023Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: Full-timePosition ID:
About SUNY Schenectady County Community College:
SUNY Schenectady County Community College (SUNY Schenectady) is one of the State University of New York's finest two-year colleges located in upstate New York's vibrant and growing Capital Region, with easy access to Boston, NYC, the Adirondack and Catskill Mountains, Montreal and scenic Hudson Valley, all of which are just a few hours away. SUNY Schenectady is a premier college that provides quality, comprehensive education for transfer, career, training and workforce development to a diverse population in a student centered environment. The College offers more than 50 transfer and career programs in science, aviation, culinary, music, and liberal arts, and serves more than 5,000 students. SUNY Schenectady County Community College offers an excellent benefit package including health care with dental and vision coverage, a choice of retirement systems, a deferred compensation benefit, an on-site child care program and Montessori School, professional development opportunities, and health club membership. We take pride in being an urban campus with a small town feel.
SUNY Schenectady is dedicated to cultivating an environment that celebrates diversity, prioritizes inclusion, and insists on equitable access. Diversity, equity, and inclusion is central to our vision and mission; we know that to foster a sense of belonging and preserve connectedness, we must create and maintain working and learning spaces that welcome, respect, and appreciate difference. SUNY Schenectady provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under federal, state and local law. Applications from minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged.
SUNY Schenectady County Community College is seeking a Student Activities Advisor in their Student Affairs Office. Reporting to the Associate Vice President of Student Affairs (AVPSA), the Student Activities Advisor is responsible for the development, promotion, and implementation of the student life and activities program, to include: orientation for new student leaders, co-advising the Student Government Association Senate, coordinating with advisors and coaches all the activities of recognized clubs, organizations, and intercollegiate athletic program, providing quality activities that include various cultural, recreational, social and educational programs. The Student Activities Advisor serves in a full-time, one-year, temporary, UFP bargaining unit and is a member of the Student Affairs Division. The Student Activities Advisor is expected to maintain confidentiality with regard to personal student information. The Student Activities Advisor exercises individual judgment with supervisor coordination in scheduling and review of assigned duties. Qualifications can be substituted for experience. Currently, the position reports to the AVPSA. Funding for this position is based on the approval of the Student Government Association Senate on an annual basis. The incumbent does not have supervisory responsibility but is expected to share direction and oversight over work study and student workers.
- Develop, coordinate, implement and assess the student life and activities program on campus
- Develop, maintain and promote the annual calendar for all student life, club and organizations, and intercollegiate athletic programs
- Assist the AVPSA with the annual publications; such as the student handbook and manual for clubs and organizations
- Coordinate the recruitment of student leaders for various activities such as: service on the various College Committees, student senate, officers of clubs and organizations, advocacy day representatives, etc.
- Work closely with the AVPSA and other functional units on various functions to include: Annual Awards Ceremony, Career Fairs, Wellness events, Transfer Fairs, etc.
- Assist clubs, organizations and offices with the promotion, advertisement and marketing of on and off- campus events using digital messaging systems, email and through social media
- Serve as the co-advisor, along with the AVPSA, to the Student Government Association Senate, assisting with meetings, committees and other Senate projects
- Advise the Student Activities Board, in coordination with the Student Government Association and the Student Affairs Office, and plan a variety of educational programs that address cultural, recreational, and social activities
- Assist with services provided to all clubs, organizations and intercollegiate athletic programs affiliated with the Student Government Association; working closely with the faculty advisors and officers of each club/organization and with the SGA Bookkeeper
- Coordinate all student leadership training sessions and workshops throughout the year in collaboration with the Student Affairs Division
- Assist in Commencement planning
- Assist with New Student and Family Orientation programs; working closely with the Student Affairs Division, Enrollment Management Division and the College Store
- Coordination and promotion of student benefits received as an activity fee payer at SUNY Schenectady
- Assist in building and maintaining partnerships with faculty, staff, and community organizations to benefit student engagement opportunities
- Oversee the activities on the SUNY Schenectady social network sites and keep the student activities websites new and updated on a continuous basis
- Support the recruitment and retention initiatives of the College, the Student Government Association and the Division of Student Affairs in areas of orientation and international student programming
- Responsible for supervision of work study and student-workers during evening and weekend special events, activities and programs as approved by the AVPSA
- Assist in budget preparation and planning
- Oversight and staffing of Student Activities space to include E-sports gaming lounge
- Other duties as assigned by the AVPSA
- Bachelor's degree and three years of experience working with college students.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Expertise with Power Point presentations
- Experience developing and setting up student activities
- Ability to adapt to new software systems quickly
- VISA sponsorship is not available for this position
- Offers of employment will be conditional based on the successful completion of a background check and verification of official college transcripts
Applications Due By: Applications accepted until position is filled.
Applicants must submit the following documents to be considered for this position:
- Cover letter
- Completed SUNY Schenectady Employment Application
CAMPUS SAFETY REPORT
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, or Clery Act, mandates that all Title IV institutions, without exception, prepare, publish and distribute an Annual Security Report. This report consists of two basic parts: disclosure of the College's crime statistics for the past three years; and the availability regarding the College's current campus security policies. SUNY Schenectady County Community College's Annual Security Report is available here.
SUNY Schenectady is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United Stated and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.