Faculty Writing Support Specialist
Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitment to social justice. Our community is a tight knit group of remarkable individuals interested in intellectual inquiry and making a difference in the world.Requirements
Georgetown University in Qatar (GU-Q) is seeking an experienced professional to serve as Faculty Writing Support Specialist. The Faculty Writing Support Specialist will provide guidance and resources to faculty in all stages of the writing process. Through workshops, mentoring, coaching, and providing editing support, the Faculty Writing Support Specialist will play an important role in helping to advance faculty writing and scholarly publications.Key Accountabilities
- Provide effective advice and coaching to faculty around their scholarship plans.
- Work closely with faculty to promote success with scholarly publications.
- Offer targeted resources for faculty at all levels and at all stages in the writing process.
- Proof, standardize, and edit proposal sections written by peers and other writers on the proposal team to ensure they reflect the language of the proposal.
- Provide coaching and editing support to faculty on academic writing and the mechanics of style.
- Read and review all documents for spelling, grammar, punctuation, consistency in formatting, and alignment with different style manuals and campus-specific guidelines.
- Suggest alternative words or phrases and guide writers on flow, sentence and paragraph structure, and organization of ideas overall.
- Provide developmental feedback on monographs, journal articles, tenure/promotion dossiers, and other documents.
- Assist faculty in preparing proposal narratives and documents in compliance with university, sponsor, and other guidelines and deadlines.
- Review and provide feedback on proposal narratives and documents.
- Provide consultation services on research strategies, tactics, tools and best practices for the development of grants for submission, as requested.
- In collaboration with the research and compliance office, conduct training sessions for faculty and students on grant writing strategies and workshops to support academic writing.
- Facilitate writing groups and workshops throughout the year.
- Develop workshops to share promising practices around developing and sustaining regular writing efforts.
- Other similar duties, as needed.
- Master's Degree, preferably in humanities or social science field.
- 5+ years of relevant experience supporting professional and academic writing.
- In-depth knowledge of scholarly and professional writing for publication.
- Experience and demonstrated agility in supporting writing across various disciplines.
- Demonstrated superior writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, intercultural competence.
- Strong background research skills with willingness and ability to quickly synthesize complex information in accessible and actionable formats.
- Articulate, professional, and able to communicate in a clear, positive manner.
- Knowledge of style manuals, such as Chicago, U.S. Government Publishing Office, and Associated Press.
- Experience in successful management of multiple concurrent projects to meet deadlines.
- Experience working effectively and cooperatively with an ethnically and culturally diverse population.
- Strong problem-solver; ability to navigate various viewpoints to develop consensus.
- Ability to be flexible and self-motivated in order to deliver high quality work products in multiple communication mediums.
- Writing samples may be requested during the selection process.
GU-Q's expatriate benefits package
is highly competitive and includes fully-furnished housing, a monthly transportation and home leave travel allowance, health insurance (worldwide coverage), generous private school tuition support for accompanying children, and other benefits.Relocation Support
Moving to a new country can be a significant endeavor and GU-Q is committed to providing comprehensive relocation support. From assistance with visa processing, housing arrangements, and transportation logistics, to campus orientation and settling-in support, GU-Q will aim to ensure a smooth transition for new employees and their families.About Qatar
Qatar has become a hub for regional and global networks in international diplomacy, energy, finance, economics, media, and sports. A modern, thriving country in the heart of the Middle East with an ambitious development vision, it offers a high standard of living, with excellent facilities, modern infrastructure, and a mix of local and cosmopolitan culture. Its central location also makes it the ideal location for exploring Asian, African, and European destinations. More information can be found here
.Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu
) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.Submission Guidelines:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.Need Assistance:
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here
for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law
Georgetown University offers a comprehensive and competitive benefit package that includes medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, retirement savings, tuition assistance, work-life balance benefits, employee discounts and an array of voluntary insurance options. You can learn more about benefits and eligibility on the Department of Human Resources website
To apply, visit https://georgetown.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Georgetown_Admin_Careers/job/Qatar/Faculty-Writing-Support-Specialist_JR15503-1
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency