Position Title: Chancellor
Job Grade: Executive
About Albizu University
Albizu University (AU) is a specialized higher education institution, whose mission is to educate professionals in behavioral sciences, speech pathology, and other disciplines, committed to research, improving quality of life, and servicing diverse communities. Founded in 1966, AU is the first professional school of psychology established in the Caribbean. The university is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education; its clinical psychology programs are accredited by the American Psychological Association; and the Master of Science in Speech and Language Pathology program is accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation (CAA) of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA).
We are looking for an accomplished chancellor to lead and guide staff and students. The Chancellor will serve as the chief academic and senior administrative official responsible for overseeing all operations on the Miami Campus. The Chancellor formulates plans for and directs the administration of the Miami Campus of AU within the authority delegated through the President by the Board of Trustees.
The responsibilities of the Chancellor include implementing the vision of the President creating relationships with external organizations and ensuring the growth of the institution. To be successful as a Chancellor, you should demonstrate outstanding leadership qualities and superior interpersonal skills and be a highly skilled decision-maker. Ultimately, a competent Chancellor should constantly strive for excellence and excel in providing mentorship.
- Track record leading teams for success.
- The ability to champion and advance academic excellence, student success, and degree completion.
- A collaborative leadership style, demonstrated through the ability to engage the academic, administrative, student, government, and community leaders respectfully, and achieve a shared vision and buy-in for a progressive agenda.
- The style and experience of a planner and a doer, someone who takes pride in cultivating a team, setting clear, measurable goals and expectations, and achieving success.
- The ability to work with others toward a common goal in situations where all parties may not agree.
- The ability to be visible and accessible to students, faculty, staff, and other constituents of the Albizu community.
- The capacity to inspire.
- The capacity for strategic thinking and innovation.
- The willingness to strive for consensus but also be decisive in decision-making when appropriate.
- The capacity to understand that being a prudent risk-taker and practical visionary is necessary to achieve success.
- The capacity to follow up on innovative ideas with solid plans, effective measures of progress, and successful completion of projects.
- The ability to process multiple positions on issues, seek means to reconcile them, and effectively explain how and why decisions are made when complete and seamless reconciliation is not possible.
- The ability to prioritize in a manner that increases support for academic change.
- To focus on service to the community within a framework of social justice.
- The ability to build collaborative relationships, trust, and respect across multiple constituencies (students, alumni, faculty, administrators, elected officials and heads of government agencies, and community and strategic partners).
- The ability to develop and nurture partnerships with external leaders and organizations.
- Experience managing clinical operations.
- The ability to manage a complex educational organization.
- The capacity to support data-driven decision-making.
- Experience in building and managing budgets in diverse circumstances.
- An understanding of the marketing of higher education programs. Strategic planning experience.
- A record of success in raising money for a not-for-profit entity or funds for the development of a business.
- Demonstrated success in building a culture of philanthropy
- The ability to interact comfortably and effectively with diverse groups of people speaking English and Spanish in various settings.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to listen carefully and to adjust one’s style and method as needed to communicate effectively to a wide range of constituents
- A genuine affinity for the academic process and an appreciation of the work of scholars and teachers.
- The highest ethical and moral standards in both professional and personal life.
- Perseverance, a strong work ethic, and drive to build a legacy of success.
- Intellect – as evidenced by educational attainment, curiosity, and open-mindedness.
- The eagerness and stamina to serve 24/7 as an institutional advocate and spokesperson.
- Experience generating revenue and balancing budgets.
- Confers with the Office of the President on new plans and initiatives.
- Oversees programs concerning organizational, academic, and operational functions of the Miami Campus.
- Supervises, directly or through the corresponding officials, the personnel of the Miami Campus.
- Oversees operational procedures, rules, and standards relating to the faculty, the students, and the administration.
- Oversees fiscal, physical, and academic planning activities such as budget development, building expansion, and new programs to anticipate cost-benefits and the money allocation needed.
- Recruits and interviews Program/Unit Directors and core Faculty and makes the corresponding recommendations to the Office of the President.
- Establishes and maintains a liaison with other individuals and/or agencies.
- Conducts administrative staff and Program/Unit Directors' performance evaluations.
- Oversees the development and utilization of the budget for the Miami Campus following the goals established in the Strategic Plan.
- Responsible for the coordination of strategic planning and budget process following the attached Strategic Plan and Budget Diagrams.
- Executes any special projects as specified by the President.
- Approves faculty contracts, textbooks, course syllabi, and clinical supervisors every semester.
- Recommends Faculty and Staff salary revision proposals.
- Responsible for addressing and resolving the issues and findings when notified about Financial Aid Audits, Financial Audits, Accrediting Agencies, and others.
- Confers with the Office of the President on the annual results of operations for Audited Financial Statements.
- Responsible for the planning and development of instructional activities, when needed and in coordination with the academic dean program directors, to ensure that students receive assistance in meeting their learning objectives.
- Experience assuring compliance of accreditation standards.
- Maintains academic excellence at AU Miami Campus.
- Encourages students, faculty, and staff to abide by the policies and procedures as well as the institutional philosophy as contained in the catalog, faculty handbook, student handbook, etc.
- Promotes an instructional atmosphere conducive to learning.
- Encourages student participation in their academic and professional development.
- Encourages students to use additional learning resources Explores and appropriately develops alternative teaching strategies promoting and encouraging their use.
- Maintains availability to students on an individual and/or small group basis to respond to student questions and concerns.
- Oversees student evaluations twice per term at the faculty meetings to determine student progress and professional development.
- Keeps the academic community informed of progress and developments in the field.
- Oversees that the required academic reports and forms such as mid-term and final grades are submitted in a timely and accurate manner.
- Holds membership and takes active participation in professional organizations that emphasize academic excellence.
- Supervises, through the Program Directors the preparation and administration of the comprehensive exams.
- Participates in professional activities to give public exposure to the Institution.
- Makes recommendations regarding disciplinary actions and appeals.
- Uses office time to provide information to the academic community conducive to meeting their professional development needs.
- Oversees the registration process every semester through the Enrollment Management Personnel. Supervises due process for termination of students with academic and/or clinical deficiencies.
- Meets students who need assistance with academic and/or clinical matters after the intervention of previous channels.
- Reviews and approves extension letters for students who request extensions over the specified time limit.
Institutional Reports and Documents
- Oversees institutional self-study reports and those for accrediting agencies.
- Supervises annual institutional need assessment and outcome data analysis through various surveys.
- Oversees ongoing evaluation and review of the institutional development plan.
- Reviews and monitors departmental working plans.
- Monitors assessment of faculty and program needs.
- Monitors external trends and makes recommendations Oversees and recommends revisions of institutional manuals and handbooks.
- Oversees the completion of the APA Survey of Graduate Students and Faculty Salary Surveys. Approves the updated Graduation Protocol annually.
- Approves the AU Monthly Newsletter. Revises and approves job descriptions for Program/Unit Directors
- Reports directly to the President.
- Presides over the Administrative Board of the Miami Campus.
- Participates in weekly meetings with the Executive Committee to maintain an open line of communication.
- Oversees and assesses plans for Development, Public Relations, marketing, and advertisement.
- Maintains required work hours, including posted office hours, as prescribed.
- Actively participates in institutional meetings and committees.
- Attends inter-campus meetings and maintains an exchange of information between campuses.
- Represents the Miami Campus at Professional Organizations.
- Doctor of Psychology (Psy.D.), Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology, Education, Speech and Language or Human Services.
- Demonstrated academic and practice experience with case management and diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnics backgrounds populations (i.e., multicultural, non-traditional adult students, rural communities).
- Track-record of success working in a complex organization where success is achieved in partnership and collaboration. Fully Bilingual (English and Spanish).
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Albizu University complies with Federal and State equal employment opportunity laws; qualified applicants are considered for all positions without regards to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, non-job-related disability, or any other protected group status.
Review of applications will begin on June 1, 2023. Prospective applicants should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and contact information of three professional references.