The Chicago School is a nonprofit private university with more than 6,000 students. The university is building the Illinois College of Osteopathic Medicine: IllinoisCOM (applicant status - seeking accreditation).
The Chicago School is hiring a Senior Associate Dean of Clinical Education to serve as a critical leader in the founding of the proposed IllinoisCOM. The Senior Associate Dean will collaboratively oversee development and optimization of clinical rotations to serve IllinoisCOM students entering clinical training. The Senior Associate Dean will also supervise staff and teams as assigned and work closely with the Founding Dean and academic leaders for pre-clinical education to ensure students are prepared for clinical rotations. The ideal candidate will have an informed vision of excellent clinical experiences that our medical students and future alumni will need.
This position will be based in Chicago, IL, at The Chicago School’s downtown campus location. Standard business hours are expected to be generally consistent with Central Time (CT). Domestic travel may be required to support key activities, attend events, and build productive relationships and partnerships for The Chicago School.
The Senior Associate Dean of Clinical Education will report to the Founding Dean and serve on the leadership team of the proposed IllinoisCOM. The Senior Associate Dean will work effectively within a matrixed organization, collaborating with leadership at the proposed IllinoisCOM, The Chicago School, and The Community Solution Education System.
Clinical Education Quality and Outcomes
- Lead the creation of clinical clerkships that will satisfy the COCA requirements of 120% capacity of the intended class size for all core and elective rotations as identified by the Dean.
- Develop and oversee processes and procedures for the implementation of clinical rotations, including end-of-rotation evaluations and PE-type required evaluations.
- Ensure that all clinical rotation-related elements are ready on a schedule that allows medical students a seamless transition into their clinical training experiences.
- Ensure that all clinical rotations for medical students are high-quality and meet accreditation standards.
- Oversee the quality and improvement of the clinical rotations to ensure their effectiveness.
- Establish metrics to evaluate student and clinical preceptor performance.
- Collaborate with relevant stakeholders to develop, implement, and oversee student assessment related to the clinical portion of medical student training.
- Develop and maintain the clinical rotation portion of the Student Handbook (Academic Handbook) and selected academic policies and procedures, ensuring changes are appropriately approved by all relevant stakeholders.
- Foster positive relationships with preceptors and clinical partners to cultivate an impactful learning environment.
- Supervise the administration of subject exams and clinical curriculum content delivery.
- Hire, onboard, coach, coordinate, and performance manage effective leaders, teams, and personnel.
- Serve as a primary steward of department and division resource and budget needs.
- Serve as a key team member of the Founding Dean’s leadership team; provide verbal and written reports as requested.
- Develop, write, and review accreditation materials at the direction of the Founding Dean.
- Ensure compliance with accreditation and regulatory standards for all areas of responsibility.
- Actively engage in all internal and external site visits as directed.
- Ensure timely completion of institutional and departmental administrative tasks.
- Chair or actively participate on selected committees at the discretion of the Founding Dean.
- Collaborate with leadership on evaluating osteopathic student readiness to advance to the next level of curriculum per university policies.
- Participate in student interviewing, mentorship, and career counseling.
- Foster a positive and inclusive culture among all students, faculty, and staff.
- Develop and cultivate meaningful partnerships that advance the reach and strategic impact of the proposed IllinoisCOM.
- Doctorate in Medicine (DO or MD) with a strong background in medical education.
- Current board certification and active licensure.
- At least 5 (five) years of professional experience in an environment focused on delivering clinical education or training.
- At least 5 (five) years of professional experience with leadership and management, preferably with departments or teams of more than 10 (ten) employees.
- Demonstrated professional experience and/or expertise with at least three of the below areas:
- Preparing medical students for clinical rotations or evaluating and supervising students in rotations.
- Modern clinical practice
- Testing evaluation and other assessments
- Accreditation and regulatory standards and requirements
- Medical education curriculum development
- Demonstrated ability to lead, influence action, and shape the performance of direct reports and teams.
- Experience with developing online, hybrid, flipped classroom and other innovative learning experiences.
- Excellent written, verbal, management, administrative, and organizational skills with the ability to balance multiple priorities independently and in a team-oriented environment.
- Exceptional skill at analyzing a situation, distilling a problem, providing feedback, and designing and implementing effective solutions that support an organization’s overall mission and strategic mission.
- Proven ability to positively engage and communicate with diverse audiences, including students, faculty, staff, administrators, external partners, and executives.
The Chicago School of Professional Psychology is an Equal Opportunity Employer.Compensation & Benefits
This opportunity is budgeted at $225,000 - $325,000 base compensation. Additional compensation factors may impact total compensation. To learn more about our competitive benefits and additional rewards, including generous paid time-off, medical and dental insurance coverage, life and disability insurance, retirement plan with employer contribution, multiple flexible spending accounts, tuition reimbursement, click the link below.
TCS Education System is an Equal Opportunity Employer.