Administrative StaffClassification Title:
Administrative StaffPosition Title:
Community CoordinatorPosition Number:
A00526Pay Grade Level:
Commensurate with experience Department:
Residential CommunitiesPosting Number:
S 121301078Full or Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Months:
M-F, business hours, with an ability to accommodate extended work hours, including evening and weekend work hours.Basic Function:
The departmental culture does prioritize and encourage work-life balance.
Collaborate with students and individuals across campus and the Division of Student Development teams to richly shape and inform the community experience. Oversee a staff of 10-20 Community Advisors within assigned residential communities. Lead staff and individual meetings with Community Advisors, maintain robust presence in the residence halls, advise and mediate roommate and/or community conflicts, conduct one-to-one relational meetings with students, create and execute programs and facilitate deliberative dialogues.Essential Job Functions:
- Act as role models for students according to high professional standards. Because residential living and learning happens outside the classroom, the work of this role may happen during evenings and weekends. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Supervise, mentor and evaluate a student staff of Community Advisors within an assigned residential area. Develop strong relationships with these key student leaders.
- Participate in and lead Community Advisor training, staff hiring processes, break closing procedures, Senior Week, major campus programming, end-of-year closing procedures, damage billing, and housing selection.
- Maintain communications and interactions with residence hall students, student staff members, university staff and faculty via use of office hours and physical presence (includes evening/weekend hours and variable locations).
- Oversee and approve Community Advisor programming planning and proposals.
- Create and implement initiatives to recognize and appreciate student staff members.
- Provide support to major Residential Communities and Student Housing projects annually.
- Serve as a highly visible and accessible resource in assigned residential communities. Create positive relationships; build bridges between residents and Denison administrative areas (evening, weekend commitment).
- Create and execute programming efforts to target the needs of residential students on evenings and weekends.
- Foster and develop individual relationships with students in the assigned residential area through regular, semesterly 1:1 conversations.
- Incorporate Denison’s civic engagement, leadership and design thinking models into community and relationship-building efforts.
- Create student staff and community unity with focus on supporting community and student-led efforts and events.
- Provide support and resources for students living on campus. Manage assigned student CARE cases by serving as a resource and referral for individual student needs.
- Serve as the primary contact of Residential Communities and Housing for parents and family members of residents.
- Collaborate with Facilities Services and Building Services in identifying and addressing facility concerns.
- Ensure that university policies are communicated and supported.
- Serve in the Professional On-Call Rotation with responsibility for 24/7 response; respond to calls and involve others as necessary for appropriate response (evening, weekend commitment; valid Driver’s License and access to reliable vehicle required).
- Participate in Residential Communities team meetings, Residential Communities student staff meetings, in-service dates and Student Development Division meetings.
- Sustain collegial relationships with the Division of Student Development and associated departments. Demonstrate generous support to the work of colleagues in Student Development as well as faculty and staff across the college.
- Strive to create a culture characterized by creativity and innovation in problem solving, optimism, individual initiative, a shared sense of responsibility, the intentional cultivation of trust, and attention to clear and timely communication.
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Earned Bachelor’s degree.
- At least one year of prior experience in Residential Life or similar leadership experience. Demonstrated experience in student development, student involvement, leadership development, housing, residential education, or restorative conflict processes.
- Must have a current, valid driver’s license and must be insurable under Denison’s liability insurance.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, strong interpersonal, organizational and analytical skills, the ability to be self-motivated and to conduct oneself in a professional positive and ethical manner.
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people and commitment to inclusion and equity.
- Strong desire to build relationships with students, colleagues, and college partners.
- Collaboratively focused professional with demonstrated capacity as a fair and respectful leader, and proven ability to provide effective guidance to other professional, support, and student staff.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and initiatives at once; ability to take direction and initiative.
- Competent in fulfilling administrative duties and managing systems. Background in working with small teams to accomplish tasks and meet stated goals and objectives.
- Master’s Degree in Student Affairs and Higher Education or related field strongly preferred. (Equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute.)
At times, this position is required to lift no more than 20 pounds on an occasional basis and up to 10 pounds frequently. At times, this position requires standing, walking for 2 or more hours at a time. This position will navigate residence halls, stairs and hills in the course of their duties.Contact(s):
Human ResourcesContact Email:
04/10/2023Open Until Filled:
YesSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Please upload resume and cover letter with application.Additional Information:
Community Coordinators live on campus and are expected to utilize their on-campus apartment as their primary residence during the time of employment. Denison University Background Check Statement:
The Community Coordinator for Residential Communities reports directly to an Assistant/Associate Director for Residential Communities. This is a full-time, live-in position averaging 40 working hours per week. This position requires commitment and flexibility for evening and weekend hours; outside employment is not encouraged.
In our ongoing efforts to support the health of our community and continue to operate our campus safely, Denison requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 including a booster within the timeline guidance recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention unless a Denison-authorized exemption is approved prior to the first date of employment.
For more information and resources regarding this policy as a condition of employment, please visit https://denison.edu/campus/covid19
The final candidate will undergo a background check as a conditional offer of employment.Denison University EEO Statement :
Denison University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To achieve our mission as a liberal arts college, we continually strive to attract and hire candidates with diverse backgrounds, experiences and identities. Denison fosters a campus community that recognizes the value of all persons regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender expression and identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or socio-economic background. For additional information and resources about diversity at Denison, please see our commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity and antiracism (IDEA) at Denison Forward.
If you require a reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department at (740)587-6299 or by email at HR@denison.edu