Present Position Number:
Postdoctoral Research AssociatePosition Title:
Postdoc Fellow - Geospatial Data and AnalyticsUnit Mission Statement:
About the Global Research Institute: Global Research Institute empowers teams of William & Mary students and faculty to make a difference in the world. We are a multidisciplinary hub that applies scholarly research to real world problems, investing in outstanding student and faculty scholars to catalyze new insights and cultivate the next generation of global leaders. Based in the Office of the Provost, GRI supports a whole of university approach to advance W&M by developing ideas, convening partners, creating and analyzing data, and inventing new methods. The Institute’s approach to incubate and scale and applied research helps researchers push research frontiers and produce insights that matter at W&M and beyond.Position Summary:
About the Virginia Institute of Marine Science: VIMS has a three-part mission to conduct interdisciplinary research in coastal ocean and estuarine science, educate students and citizens, and provide advisory service to policy makers, industry, and the public. VIMS serves as the School of Marine Science for William & Mary with masters and doctoral programs within four academic departments: Aquatic Health Sciences, Biological Sciences, Fisheries Science, and Physical Sciences. It is expected that the Postdoctoral Research Associate will engage with graduate students, staff, and faculty and contribute to the vibrant research community at VIMS.
William & Mary’s Global Research Institute (GRI) and Virginia Institute of Marine Science (VIMS) seek a 2-year Postdoctoral Fellow with expertise in geospatial analysis focused on water resources to work with Drs. Kunwar Singh (GRI-AidData) and Mary Fabrizio (VIMS – Department of Fisheries Science).
We seek a candidate with a demonstrated research mindset who can bring fresh ideas to an already established research program focused on water resources in Nepal. The fellow position is a part of the Nepal Water Initiative, a collaborative effort of VIMS, GRI, and the Institute for Integrative Conservation (IIC), established for exploring the complex interactions among natural resources, livelihood systems, and climate scenarios in Nepal for developing strategies to mitigate the impacts of climate change.
Required Application Materials:
- Conduct a review of existing studies on climate change-induced impacts on natural resources in Nepal
- Create a time-series database of land and water resources and changes in floodplain connectivity
- Quantify soil erosion and flood risk in the major river basins of Nepal
- Develop household and field surveys, including IRB approvals if required
- Mentor undergraduate students from diverse backgrounds through applied research
- Participate in NWI meetings, scientific meetings, develop scientific papers, and engage with colleagues and collaborators pursuing related research questions
- Publish at least one peer-reviewed scientific paper per year stemming from this work
- Cover letter describing your relevant experience, research plans, and career goals
- Curriculum vitae
The fellow will receive an annual salary of $55k and W&M’s medical and retirement benefits. In addition, the fellow will have access to a research fund of $33k and an additional $5k to attend conferences. Most of the research fund will be used to hire Research Assistants. Working with, and mentoring undergraduate students is part of the responsibility of the fellow position.
The expected start date is July 1, 2023, or later. The position will be located primarily at GRI
, on the campus of William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia. This is a 12-month position, and renewable for a second-year contingent on performance. Review of applicants begins May 1, 2023. Inquiries should be directed to Dr. Kunwar Singh (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dr. Mary Fabrizio (email@example.com).Required Qualifications:
- Ph.D. in Geospatial Science, Remote Sensing, Physical Geography, Forestry and Natural Resources, Environmental Science, or a related field
- Demonstrated experience in programming languages (e.g., Google Earth Engine, Python, R)
- Expertise and experience in remote sensing and GIS, especially multi-temporal analysis of land use and land cover change and management of large databases
- Demonstrated excellence in scientific communication, both written and oral
- The candidate must demonstrate their ability to lead scientific activities (e.g., computational, field, etc.), organize multidisciplinary workshops, and engage with stakeholders and the public
- The candidate will serve as a mentor to undergraduate students and should, therefore, bring documented experience that demonstrates their effectiveness in either formal or informal settings
- The ideal candidate will contribute to the preparation of proposals (multi-year, multi-investigator proposals) to advance the science necessary to manage water resources under a changing climate
- Ability to work independently and collaborate effectively with project team members
- The project will involve travel to present at scientific conferences and surveys in Nepal
n/aConditions of Employment:
Position is restricted in nature and continued employment is contingent upon funding availability.Department:
3KM140 Global Research Institute-G&CLocation:
William & MaryJob Open Date:
04/07/2023Review Begin Date:
04/21/2023Open Until Filled:
Instructional FacultyBackground Check Statement:
William & Mary is committed to providing a safe campus community. W&M conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.EEO Statement:
William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The university is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.Benefits Summary Statement:
William & Mary offers our employees a full array of benefits including retirement, health insurance with options for expanded dental and vision along with group and optional life insurance with coverage for spouse and children, flexible spending accounts, and an EAP (Employee Assistance Program).
Our employees enjoy additional university benefits such as educational assistance, professional development, wellness benefits, and a robust holiday schedule. All employees have access to fitness facilities on campus. Staff members also have access to the university libraries, and much more. To learn more, go to: https://www.wm.edu/offices/hr/currentemployees/benefits/index.php