The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America’s Best Large Employers in 2023.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination or a University authorized exemption is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. For more information about Penn’s vaccine requirements, visit the Penn COVID-19 Response website for the latest information. Posted Job Title
Associate Director, Instructional DesignJob Profile Title
Associate Director C, Student Services, Online LearningJob Description Summary
The Associate Director for Instructional Design is a member of the Instructional Design & Technology unit within the Center for Teaching and Learning and the Online Learning Initiative and reports to the Director of Instructional Design & Technology. The incumbent for this position will use knowledge of instructional design methodologies, evidence-based teaching and learning practices, and the needs and preferences of adult learners to support the design of online credit and non-credit certificates, badges, courses, and programs for continuing and professional education. This position also consults with school teams and program leadership to provide instructional design expertise and support during the exploration, planning, and design of new online offerings and programs.Job Description
Consulting with school teams and program leadership to provide instructional design expertise during the exploration, planning, and design of online offerings and programs
Collaborating with and supporting instructors, other guest experts, and course teams to create online learning experiences throughout all stages of design and development (i.e., defined learning objectives, course maps, outlines, scripts, slides, videos, assignments, activities, compliance reviews, beta-tests, and preparing final products for launch)
Communicating with all stakeholders to ensure projects are completed on time, within scope, and within budget
Building capacity and skills of partners and course teams to produce school-funded and school-based learning experiences through documentation, training, templates, tools and resources, exemplars, and mentorship of new instructional design staff
Maintaining up-to-date, in-depth knowledge of best and emerging practices in online teaching and continuing and professional education and presenting on best and emerging practices to internal and external audiences
Assessing effectiveness of learning experiences and design and development processes and identifying and implementing opportunities for continuous improvement
Serving as technical platform liaison for Coursera and edX
Assisting with planning and facilitating Instructional Design Working Group (IDWG) meetings and managing the IDWG Mentoring Program
A bachelor's degree and 3-5 years of experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience are required.
Master’s degree in a related field preferred; 5-7 years of experience preferred.
Must have experience supporting faculty in developing online courses from design through development, strong communication, collaboration, and stakeholder management skills, and attention to detail.
Experiences in continuing and professional education, higher education, and project management are strongly preferred.
Targeted Pay Range
Job Location - City, State
Targeted Pay Range: $51,824 - $85,000. Salary offers are made based on the candidate’s qualifications, experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the requirements of the position, as well as internal and market factors and grade profile.
Hybrid Eligible - This position is eligible for a hybrid work schedule with a work week divided between working onsite and working remotely.Department / School
Provost Interdisciplinary ProgramsPay Range
$51,824.00 - $78,096.00Salary offers are made based on the candidate’s qualifications, experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the requirements of the position, as well as internal and market factors and grade profile. Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.Special Requirements
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.University Benefits
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family’s health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn’s Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family—whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you’re newly hired, you won’t have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That’s why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University’s libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There’s always something going on at Penn, whether it’s a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you’re right in the middle of the excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.