Job Posting Number:
Dean of The Graduate SchoolRegular or Contingent II:
Commensurate with ExperienceOpen Date:
04/05/2023Open Until Filled:
YesDuties and Responsibilities :
The Dean of the Bowie State University Graduate School is also responsible for providing overall administrative leadership to the university’s graduate academic programs. The Dean monitors, develops, and implements policies, procedures, and practices designed to ensure the effective delivery of academic programs at the master’s and doctoral levels. It is expected that candidates can articulate and establish a clear, forward thinking, strategic vision in terms of redefining and reinvigorating the role of graduate education in the 21st century.
- Provides transformative vision, leadership, and has a demonstrated record of innovation and accomplishment in graduate education.
- Implements a short- and long-term strategic enrollment plans that lead the Bowie State University Graduate School to regional and national recognition and is aligned with broader university strategic goals and priorities.
- Engages in recruiting activities, including speaking to student groups, and participating in recruitment events both nationally and internationally.
- Monitors and assesses the university’s graduate programs in student recruitment, retention, and graduation. Recommends appropriate policy changes in these areas and develops accountability procedures and measures for faculty and staff.
- Supervises the graduate assistantship (GA), supports budget and allocation to the university’s graduate programs.
- Resolves and/or coordinates the resolution of all graduate student problems, grievances, and academic appeals with the appropriate university unit or committee.
- Possesses a proven track record of serving international students and demonstrates aptitude for addressing concerns specific to a diverse international student community.
- Coordinates the development, implementation, and dissemination of all policies and regulations related to the Bowie State University Graduate School (i.e., university catalog, graduate academic policies and procedures manual, academic calendar, etc.).
- Collaborates and works closely with the Graduate Council to develop and oversee policies and procedures for graduate education, including program approval.
- Supports research and has experience obtaining external support for graduate programs and students.
- Works with the university’s Institutional Advancement division to establish and achieve philanthropic goals and build relationships that advance the goals of the Bowie State University Graduate School.
- Represents the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs as requested with units external to the university and on internal committees/task forces related to all matters pertaining to graduate studies, as well as carries out other assignments as requested.
Applicant must have a terminal degree from an accredited university in an appropriate discipline (preferably in a discipline offered by the Bowie State University Graduate School).Experience:
Knowledge Skills and Abilities :
- Tenure in a faculty position and substantive and successful experience as a higher education administrator for a minimum of seven (7) years is preferred.
- A proven track record of being actively involved in graduate education and research is highly desired.
- Preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate innovative approaches to graduate level research, funding and administration, fundraising, multidisciplinary studies, and enrollment management. Successful candidates will demonstrate an appreciation of the unique challenges and opportunities in graduate level education.
Conditions of Employment :
- A comprehensive knowledge of university policies and procedures relating to the development and implementation of academic programs is required, as well as prior management of educational support programs.
- The ability to effectively supervise others, to think creatively in resolving problems and proposing changes, along with demonstrated excellence in written and oral communication.
- Dynamic leadership and a demonstrated dedication to student and faculty services are essential.
- Strong management skills, including stewardship of fiscal and human resources.
Please be advised, COVID-19 vaccinations and boosters are strongly encouraged but not required for eligible faculty and staff employed by Bowie State University. This protocol may be subject to change.Other :
How to Apply: ( Please follow instructions below to apply)
Marion Frenche & Denice Perdue with Greenwood Asher & Associates® are assisting Bowie State University in this search. Applications and nominations are now being accepted. Inquiries, nominations, and application materials should be directed to Greenwood Asher & Associates. Application materials should include:
- A letter of interest that clearly states the applicant’s qualifications for the position.
- A current résumé/curriculum vitae.
- The name, relationship, and email address of five professional references.
We strongly encourage submitting application materials as three separate PDF attachments. The search will be conducted with a commitment of confidentiality for candidates until finalists are selected. Initial screening of applications will begin immediately and will continue until an appointment is made.Please direct inquires, nominations, and application materials to:
Search Manager & Senior Executive Search ConsultantE-Mail:email@example.com
, Senior Executive Search ConsultantE-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgQuick Link for Internal Postings: