Job no: 494564
Position Type: Part-Time
Location: Elgin, IL
Experience Level: Entry-Level
Categories: Office Support
Role: Financial Aid Assistant III
Elgin Community College serves over 9,000 students at every stage of their educational journeys, including university transfer programs, career and technical education, continuing education classes, and adult basic education. As a community, we pride ourselves on nurturing a welcoming campus where every person—students, staff members, faculty members, and campus visitors—feels valued. The work of each ECC employee is central to the college’s mission, and as an employer, the college fosters a positive environment through professional challenges, excellent benefits, and opportunities for recognition and camaraderie.
Up to 25 hours per week
Rate of Pay:
This position is a grade 9 with a minimum of $15.43. Hourly rate offer will be commensurate with the education/experience, in alignment with the College’s compensation philosophy, and the current CBA, if applicable.
An employee in this classification performs work of moderate difficulty by overseeing the day to day process flow of students successfully applying for financial assistance. Work is distinguished by the ability to represent the financial aid office at various on campus functions. General supervision is received by the assigned manager.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Considerable skill in organizing work to meet established deadlines while maintaining attention to detail.
- Working skills in problem solving and the ability to recommend improvements to process flow.
- Working skill in of Microsoft Office Suite
- Working skill in interpersonal interaction to be applied to a variety of individuals with differing education, ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Working skills in verbal and written communication.
- Working skills in customer service techniques
- Working skills in internet search functions and ability to navigate various sites.
- Working skill in operating a personal computer, applicable software and peripheral equipment as well as learning and adapting to new and updated programs and technology.
- Must be available to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends when required by the department’s needs.
Desired Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Assist students with all financial aid documents, answer questions and explain all financial aid related information while providing excellent service to students.
- Answer phones/return phone calls and emails
- Assist students with their FAFSA; analyze student information and help them make corrections as needed.
- Keep updated and informed on all regulatory policies and make recommendations for changes to procedures based on the new information.
- Special projects as assigned.
- Maintains required training, licensure and/or certifications.
- Maintains confidentiality of privileged information and adheres to applicable privacy laws.
- Demonstrates sensitivity, understanding and respect of diverse populations within the workplace.
- Maintains an understanding of the work of colleagues to effectively provide backup and/or support for co-workers during times when the division is short-staffed or experiencing an increased volume of work.
- Adheres to department guidelines for attendance and punctuality
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned which pertain to the job description.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule which includes days/evenings/weekends as needed by the department.
Sedentary (up to 10 lbs occasionally, sitting most of the time)
Close visual acuity (e.g. computer, assembly)
Typical office or administrative
Current SSECCA Union Member Information:
The initial posting date for this position is 04/03/2023. Elgin Community College Support Staff Association (SSECCA) members that apply by 04/10/2023 and meet the posted minimum qualifications will receive full consideration.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Elgin Community College does not discriminate, or tolerate discrimination, against any member of its community on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex/gender/gender identity, age, religion, disability, pregnancy, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law in matters of admissions, employment, or in any aspect of the educational programs or activities it offers.
In addition, Elgin Community College provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment practices, educational opportunities, and programs and services. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the College’s EEO/AA Officer. Determinations on request for a reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Advertised: July 10, 2023 Central Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled