College of Engineering Assistant Dean for Student Success – Non-tenure, Renewable Contract - ...
- The University of Alabama
- Faculty Jobs
- Education, Educational Administration & Leadership, Social Sciences, Geography
- Administrative Jobs
- Academic Affairs, Sponsored Programs, Grants & Contracts
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
Apply nowJob no: 519093
Work type: Regular Full-time (Benefits eligible)
Categories: Non-Tenure-Track/Clinical Faculty
214101 - Dean's Office - Engineering
The College of Engineering’s Assistant Dean (AD) for Student Success is an essential role that will help the College of Engineering (CoE) achieve its goals of further enhancing student recruiting, onboarding, matriculation and retention, and ultimately the transition of our students to employment or further advanced degree studies. This position is integral to the College of Engineering’s objectives to be a collaborative, welcoming, and caring community of scholars that strives for outstanding outcomes for all of our students, staff, and faculty in everything we do.
Appointments to the faculty of The University of Alabama are based on the personnel requirements of the University’s academic programs and on the goal of achieving and maintaining excellence in its teaching, research, and service/academic citizenship activities.
Detailed Position Information
Under the supervision of the Dean of the College of Engineering, the Assistant Dean will serve as the strategic and operational champion to enhance student success by developing and implementing student success and advisement strategies to advance learning, engagement, retention, and completion for all students across the College. The Assistant Dean will work closely with other leaders across the College and the University to offer co-curricular activities that support student development, academic achievement, and the College’s vision, mission, and values in the pursuit of excellence.
Roles and responsibilities of the position are expected to include:
1. DEVELOP AND MANAGE THE CoE CENTER FOR STUDENT SUCCESS: While the College has a wide variety of activities that assist its students and support their success throughout their career at the university, there is no single focused organizational entity within the College which coordinates and oversees many of those activities. The Assistant Dean for Student Success will work with the Dean of the College and the Associate Dean for Undergraduate and Graduate Programs in the College to develop a cohesive Center for Student Success that better organizes and coordinates both ongoing activities within the College related to student success and works to create new student success initiatives and programs that enhance the student experience within the College. As a part of the ongoing general education reform process, the Assistant Dean is also expected to work with other leaders within the College and across campus to create and implement success initiatives that integrate into new general education framework for students within the College including the elements that impact the first-year experience, experiential learning, and career preparation.
2. DEVELOP AND IMPLEMENT ASSESSMENT STRATEGIES TO SUPPORT CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT WITH RESPECT TO STUDENT SUCCESS: The Assistant Dean will work with others in the College to collect, maintain, analyze, benchmark, and interpret data to identify opportunities and develop strategies to advance academic achievement and student success. The Assistant Dean will use such data to assess the effectiveness of academic and support services, and develop College, departmental, and personnel goals that align with the College’s strategic goals.
3. DEVELOP COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIPS: The Assistant Dean will work to develop collaborations with industry partners and others in the external community to enhance opportunities to work together on initiatives related to student success.
4. COORDINATE AND SUPPORT STUDENT GROUPS AND ORGANIZATIONS: The Assistant Dean will provide oversight of co-curricular and student activities including the wide array of student professional organizations across the College. The Assistant Dean will work with faculty advisors and student leaders of those organizations to support their efforts to enhance student success. The Assistant Dean will also assess student engagement in current programs and organizations and develop new co-curricular groups and activities.
5. ENGAGE IN COLLEGE, UNIVERSITY, COMMUNITY, AND PROFESSIONAL SERVICE: The Assistant Dean Serve will be expected to serve on internal college and university level committees as appropriate to support student success efforts within the College and across the university. The Assistant Dean is also expected to maintain a visible and active external service profile in the engineering education and student success areas, seek out collaborations with other education institutions, professional organizations, and similar entities to support the development and sharing of best practices related to success, with a particular focus on engineering pedagogy and engineering student success. The Assistant Dean will also be expected to participate in recruiting, enrollment, and retention events and efforts.
6. DEMONSTRATE PROFESSIONALISM AND QUALITY CUSTOMER SERVICE. Demonstrate professionalism and customer service in accordance with the College’s values. Demonstrate professionalism, positive working relationships, quality customer service, and the ability to make decisions and solve problems. Maintain confidentiality, positive communication, accurate records, and an organized, safe working environment. Exhibit flexibility, willingness to learn, ability to adapt to change and maintain current technology skills.
- Advanced degree in engineering, computer science, or a closely related field.
- A minimum of 8 to 10 years of work experience in higher education.
- Experience working with undergraduate engineering students and engineering student groups in higher education.
- Strong administrative abilities and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently on concurrent projects.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team-oriented environment.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver programs and workshops.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, coordinate, and execute schedules, meetings, events, and programs.
- Demonstrated ability to read and interpret policies and procedures.
- Ph.D. in an engineering, computer science, or a closely related field.
- A minimum of 8 to 10 years of work experience in higher education in a faculty role within engineering.
- Departmental and/or college level leadership experience in an engineering college.
- A minimum of 10 or more years of engineering work experience in an industrial, government, or other non-academic environment.
Instructions and Required Materials for Application
Applicants should include: (1) a cover letter, (2) a full curriculum vitae (CV), and (3) a list of at least four professional references.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. The expected start date for this position is as early as July 16, 2023 and no later than August 16, 2023.
For additional information regarding this search, please contact Ms. Michelle Harris, Administrative Secretary, College of Engineering Dean’s Office, The University of Alabama (P: (205)-348-1598, E: [email protected]).
About the College of Engineering
As one of the first five universities in the nation to offer engineering instruction, The University of Alabama has more than 175 years of engineering education experience. UA’s College of Engineering is committed to conducting leading-edge research, providing unparalleled educational opportunities and investing in students who will be the scholars and industry professionals shaping the future of the field of engineering.
Research is a critical component of our mission as the flagship university in the state of Alabama. Over the past decade, the College’s research activity has more than doubled, and the Shelby Science and Engineering Quad was completed at a cost of more than $300 million. There are 10 research centers housed under the College, spanning areas from cybersecurity to transportation, that are dedicated to making sustainable changes and an impact on local, national and global levels.
With hundreds of award-winning faculty and staff members, and a diverse offering of nationally accredited programs, facilities and resources, the College has positioned itself for success as a leader in engineering education.
About The University of Alabama
The University of Alabama, part of The University of Alabama System, is the state’s flagship university. UA shapes a better world through its teaching, research and service. With a global reputation for excellence, UA provides an inclusive, forward-thinking environment and nearly 200 degree programs on a beautiful, student-centered campus.
A leader in cutting-edge research, UA advances discovery, creative inquiry and knowledge through more than 30 research centers. The University of Alabama has R1: Doctoral Universities – Very High Research Activity status by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education and is among the top doctoral research universities in the United States.
As the state’s largest higher education institution, UA drives economic growth in Alabama and beyond.
Tuscaloosa is so much more than a college town.
It's a vibrant community that’s filled with legendary history. Located along the Black Warrior River, the city features a walkable downtown that’s complete with live music, locally owned shops, outdoor spaces to explore and local restaurants to meet every palate. With a geography ranging from suburban to rural, the area offers a variety of housing options along with excellent public and private schools and a wealth of recreational and entertainment options.
With a metro area population of 235,000, the Druid City lies about an hour southwest of Birmingham, in west-central Alabama. It’s within a few hours’ drive of Gulf Coast beaches and major cities like Nashville, New Orleans and Atlanta, making it a great base for growing better acquainted with the South’s finest offerings.
Background Investigation and EEO Statement
Prior to hiring, the final candidate(s) must successfully pass a pre-employment background investigation and information obtained from social media and other internet sources. A prior conviction reported as a result of the background investigation DOES NOT automatically disqualify a candidate from consideration for this position. A candidate with a prior conviction or negative behavioral red flags will receive an individualized review of the prior conviction or negative behavioral red flags before a hiring decision is made.
The University of Alabama is an Equal Employment/Equal Educational Opportunity Institution. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against because of their protected status. Applicants to and employees of this institution are protected under Federal law from discrimination on several bases. Follow the link below to find out more. "EEO is the Law" https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
Advertised: 27 Mar 2023 Central Daylight Time
Applications close: 30 Apr 2023 Central Daylight Time
The University of Alabama embodies an academic community that demands excellence in teaching, research and service and provides an inclusive, nurturing environment for the discovery of knowledge and the development of well-rounded leaders. Founded in 1831 as Alabama's first public college and known as the Capstone of Higher Education, UA provides a premier undergraduate and graduate education built upon global engagement, high-quality scholarship, outstanding teaching, and diversity and inclusivity throughout the community.
The University of Alabama will advance the intellectual and social condition of the people of the state, the nation and the world through the creation, translation and dissemination of knowledge with an emphasis on quality programs in the areas of teaching, research and service.
The University of Alabama will be known as the university of choice for the best and brightest students in Alabama, and all students who seek exceptional educational opportunities. The University of Alabama will be a student-centered research university and an academic community united in its commitment to enhance the quality of life for all Alabamians and the citizens of the nation and the world.
Our Core Values
The University of Alabama is committed to:
- Undergraduate education that produces socially-conscious, ethical and well-rounded leaders who are grounded in their subject matter and capable of controlling their own destinies.
- Graduate education that is deeply vested in subject matter knowledge, professional content, research skills and creative activity.
- Public outreach and service that is held in the highest regard and fosters impactful public engagement to enhance the quality of life for the citizens of Alabama, the nation and the world.
- Campus life that embodies collaboration, collegiality, respect and a culture of inclusivity.
Our Strategic Goals
- Provide a premier undergraduate and graduate education that offers a global perspective and is characterized by outstanding teaching, high-quality scholarship and distinctive curricular and co-curricular programs. Increase the University’s productivity and innovation in research, scholarship and creative activities that impact economic and societal development.
- Enrich our learning and work environment by providing an accepting, inclusive community that attracts and supports a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
- Provide opportunities and resources that facilitate work-life balance and enhance the recruitment and retention of outstanding faculty and staff.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert