Assistant Professor in Recreational TherapyPosition Number :
937322Vacancy Open to :
All Candidates Department :
AAH Recreation SciencesDepartment Homepage :
https://hhp.ecu.edu/rcsc/Advertising Department :
RECREATION & LEISURE STUDIESDivision :
Academic AffairsClassification Title :
Assistant ProfessorWorking Title :
Assistant ProfessorNumber of Vacancies :
1Full Time Equivalent (FTE) :
1.0Full Time or Part Time :
Full TimeRecruitment Range:
Commensurate with QualificationsPosition Location (City) :
Faculty (Teaching)Job Category :
Faculty (Teaching)Organizational Unit Overview:
East Carolina University is in Greenville, North Carolina (Pitt County). Greenville is the cultural, educational, medical, and economic center of Eastern North Carolina. Pitt County’s population is approximately 175,800, and it is located halfway between the capital city, Raleigh, and the Outer Banks. East Carolina University (over 28,000 students) is integral to a region covering 29 counties. Job Duties :
We aim to enhance the quality of life through recreation services in various settings. We are one of six College of Health and Human Performance departments. We offer undergraduate degrees in Recreational Therapy and Recreation and Park Management and a graduate degree in Recreation Sciences with concentrations in Recreational Therapy Administration and Recreation and Park Administration. We also offer a graduate certificate in Biofeedback. The department collaborates with and has faculty affiliated with the Center for Biofeedback, the Institute for Coastal Science and Policy, the Brody School of Medicine, and other campus units. Our department is well-established and includes 14 faculty members and approximately 192 undergraduate and 17 graduate students. The ECU Recreational Therapy Program is one of only 13 programs accredited by the Committee on Accreditation of Recreational Therapy Education (CARTE). It is highlighted by research and clinical practice space in the Center for Biofeedback’s Lab, the Sensory & Observation Lab, and the Sailing Simulation Lab. The selected candidate should have the strategic vision, experience, and motivation to provide dynamic leadership to our rich and vibrant community. Our vision is to be a national leader in Recreational Therapy, Recreation Program Leadership, Community Recreation Planning, and Coastal and Rural Recreation and Tourism.
Please visit our web page: https://hhp.ecu.edu/rcsc/.
- East Carolina University seeks an individual for a nine-month, tenure-track Assistant Professor for the Recreational Therapy program in the Department of Recreation Sciences (RCSC) within the College of Health and Human Performance for an August 2023 start date.
- Teach in the graduate and undergraduate Recreational Therapy (RT) degree programs and the professional core. Contribute to the advancement and promotion of Recreational Therapy degree programs, supervise Recreational Therapy student field experiences, mentor students on academic procedures and career goals, and engage in outreach with the healthcare community. Expectations include instruction, externally funded scholarly research; participation in research/creative activity and scholarly publication; and service to the University, community, and profession.
Contingent upon available funding.Minimum Education/Experience :
License or Certification Required by Statute or Regulation :
- Candidates must possess a terminal degree (Ph.D. or Doctorate).
- Candidates must have a master’s degree or master’s degree with an emphasis/concentration in Recreational Therapy/Therapeutic Recreation from an accredited university, in addition to the terminal degree if the terminal degree is not in RT/TR.
- Candidates with a doctoral degree conferred at the initial appointment will hold the probationary rank of Assistant Professor. ABD candidates will be initially appointed at the probationary rank of Assistant Professor and must have the terminal degree conferred before the first reappointment.
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education :
- NCTRC certification as CTRS is required. Applicant must obtain licensure as a Licensed Recreational Therapist in North Carolina before the employment start date (www.ncbrtl.org).
Special Instructions to Applicant :
- The ideal candidate will have professional practitioner experience.
- The candidate will complement or build upon at least one program area, including gerontology, behavioral/mental health, adaptive sports, physical rehabilitation, youth development, virtual reality/simulation, and biofeedback/applied psychophysiology.
In addition to a candidate profile, candidates must also submit the following documents online:
(1) Cover letter addressing the position description
(2) Curriculum vitae,
(3) a statement of the candidate’s teaching philosophy
(4) a list of three references with contact information.
- At the time of employment, ECU requires two-three letters of reference, official transcripts, a criminal background check, and proper documentation of identity and employability.
- Applicants must complete a candidate profile by creating an online account (see “Create Account” by following the link below) via the PeopleAdmin system (https://ecu.peopleadmin.com/).
- Please be aware that if selected as a candidate of choice, an automatic e-mail will be sent to the individuals entered by the applicant in the References section of the PeopleAdmin applicant tracking system.
- Letters of reference submitted via the PeopleAdmin applicant tracking system will be verified and considered for meeting this requirement.
- For letters of reference not submitted via the PeopleAdmin applicant tracking system, please have the original signed letters mailed to Lee Gaylord (RCSC 937233) East Carolina University College of Health and Human Performance 1000 East 5th Street, Rivers West 238 Mailstop 505, Greenville, NC 27858.
- For questions regarding the application process, the program, or the specific position, contact the search committee chair, Dr. Matthew Fish at FishM@ecu.edu or 252-328-0021.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.Additional Instructions to Applicant:
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must complete a candidate profile online via the PeopleAdmin system and submit any requested documents. Additionally, applicants that possess the preferred education and experience must also possess the minimum education/experience, if applicable.Job Open Date :
03/27/2023Open Until Filled:
YesInitial Screening Begins :
Assistant ProfessorQuick Link for Direct Access to Posting :
East Carolina University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status, race/ethnicity, color, creed, genetic information, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, or political affiliation. Individuals requesting accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) should contact the Department for Disability Support Services at (252) 737-1016 (Voice/TTY). Proper documentation of identity and employability is required at the time of employment.Eligibility for Employment :
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. ECU participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.Office of Human Resources Contact Information :
If you experience any problems accessing the system or have questions about the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (252) 328-9847 or toll free at 1-866-489-1740 or send an email to email@example.com. Our office is available to provide assistance Monday-Friday from 8:00-5:00 EST.