Post Doc Fellow, Department of Molecular & Cellular Biosciences
- University of Cincinnati
- Main Campus
- Faculty Jobs
- Education, Educational Administration & Leadership, Health & Medical, Medicine, Science & Technology, Chemistry & Biochemistry
- Administrative Jobs
- Institutional & Business Affairs, Auxiliary Services
- Position Type
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
As one of the oldest medical schools in the country, the UC College of Medicine has a reputation for training bestin-class health care professionals and developing cutting-edge procedures and research that improves the health and clinical care of patients.
A postdoctoral position is available at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine in the laboratory of Dr. Tom Thompson. The applicant will join a team of researchers to investigate molecules that regulate the larger TGFbeta family of ligands, including Myostatin, GDF11, Activin, Bone Morphogenetic Proteins and Anti-Mullerian Hormone. The research will focus on a structural/functional understanding of protein-protein interactions by coupling X-ray crystallography and Cryo-EM along with biophysical interrogation with other functional in vitro and in vivo readouts. Research is coupled with protein engineering efforts which can lead to new therapeutics. As such, certain projects also include partnerships with leading biopharmaceutical companies. Individuals must be highly motivated and have strong written and oral communication skills.
Positions are temporary appointments as a research trainee.Essential Functions
- Develop and conduct research experiments in a particular field within the pre-determined research scope and methodology.
- Gather and analyze data and develop new ideas that promote current research.
- Prepare data summaries, reports, manuscripts and presentations of research results.
- Participate/assist in manuscript writing for publication in scientific journals and/or presentation; may assist in grant writing.
- Keep informed of developments in field to maintain and enhance professional expertise.
- Lab maintenance, including equipment maintenance and ordering of supplies, as needed.
- May teach techniques to others, train, and mentor junior research staff.
- Engage in appropriate training and professional development opportunities.
- Play an active role in seeking career and research advice, both from the faculty supervisor and from other faculty members as well.
Doctoral Degree in the appropriate field or discipline, or the recognized terminal degree, or the equivalent foreign equivalent.Required Experience
- In-depth knowledge of specialized field, process or discipline.
- May require experience with specialized software programs.
A strong scientific curiosity with an interest in structural biology, protein engineering or related fields.Physical Requirements/Work Environment
- Competitive salary range dependent on the candidate's experience.
- Comprehensive insurance plans including medical, dental, vision, and prescription coverage.
- Flexible spending accounts and an award-winning employee wellness program, plus an employee assistance program.
- Financial security via our life and long-term disability insurance, accident and illness insurance, and retirement savings plans.
- Generous paid time off work options including vacation, sick leave, annual holidays, and winter season days in addition to paid parental leave.
- Tuition remission is available for employees and their eligible dependents.
- Enjoy discounts for on and off-campus activities and services.
The University of Cincinnati, as a multi-national and culturally diverse university, is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and diverse place of learning and employment. As part of a complete job application you will be asked to include a Contribution to Diversity and Inclusion statement.
As a UC employee, and an employee of an Ohio public institution, if hired you will not contribute to the federal Social Security system, other than contributions to Medicare. Instead, UC employees have the option to contribute to a state retirement plan (OPERS, STRS) or an alternative retirement plan (ARP).
The University of Cincinnati is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer / Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran.
SF:OMJ SF:RM SF:HEJ, SF:INS SF:HERC SF:DIV SF:LJN
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert