- Dominican University
- River Forest, Illinois
- Administrative Jobs
- Student Affairs, Academic Advising
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
JOB TITLE: Transfer Advisor
FLSA STATUS: Salaried, exempt
DEPARTMENT: Student Success and Engagement
REPORTS TO: Director of Advising
JOB STATUS: Full-time (at least 37.5 hours/week)
PRIMARY PURPOSE/ POSITION SUMMARY:
The Transfer Advisor will participate in the planning and delivery of holistic advising services and programs that promote comprehensive educational opportunities for undergraduate students transferring into Dominican University. As a member of the Advising Team, the Transfer Advisor will work closely with staff, faculty, and students to identify, design, and deliver services to promote student success and retention initiatives. As a member of the Student Care Network, the Transfer Advisor will assist students navigating barriers to success through advocacy and connection to resources. The Transfer Advisor is sensitive to the needs of a diverse student body, and committed to fostering students’ personal, cultural, educational, and intellectual development consistent with the mission of Dominican University.
This is a grant-funded, four-year position.
EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL DOMINICAN EMPLOYEES:
To support the University's mission of preparing students to pursue truth, to give compassionate service, and to participate in the creation of a more just and humane world.
JOB COMPONENTS/PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Review transfer evaluations and degree audits to advise and register new transfer students
- Effectively learn and communicate academic regulations, degree requirements, IAI articulation agreement details and nuances of the core curriculum to provide high quality student experience
- Develop strong partnerships with Registrar’s Office, Admissions and other faculty and staff to support smooth transfer student matriculation to the university
- Provide comprehensive holistic advising services to a diverse undergraduate student population
- Work collaboratively as a member of the Student Success & Engagement team along with other departments and individuals across the university to promote and implement student success and retention strategies
- Serve on appropriate university committees in ways that enhance the work of the Student Success & Engagement division
- Assist in the coordination of academic advising for new transfer students during all orientation programs (summer & winter)
- Serve as the SSE liaison supporting admissions events such as visiting days, Discover Dominican, Express Transfer events, etc.
- Serve as a member of the Student Care Team to craft interventions for students presenting with academic and interpersonal challenges, provide accompaniment and advocacy for complex challenges
- Make timely referrals for on and off campus resources to support academic success, physical and/or mental health, basic needs, financial stress, career exploration and more
Perform other duties as requested, delegated or assigned
All qualifications are required unless otherwise indicated.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Masters’ degree in education-related field preferred
- Three years of experience in academic advising or higher education
- Experience with transfer student advising and knowledge of transfer student barriers
- Specific experience assisting students with meeting academic, professional, and personal goals
- Must be committed to fostering an equitable and inclusive working and learning environment
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; team-building and cross-cultural interpersonal skills
- Broad community or university experience with Hispanic, first-generation, low income and/or other underrepresented students and services
- Capacity for collaborating with partners across a complex institution
- Demonstrated ability to develop excellent working relationships with internal (e.g., students, faculty, staff, and administrators) and external stakeholders
- Strong time management and organization skills
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office Suite: Teams, OneDrive, Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint
- Ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Ability to work some nights and weekends
- Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred
A background screening is required.
Dominican University is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is dedicated to the goal of building an equity-centered faculty and staff committed to teaching, working, and learning in a multicultural environment. Dominican University believes that justice, equity, and inclusion are critical to our growth and development and seek to recruit, develop, and retain from a diverse pool or applicants who bring varied experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds. If you need accommodations due to a disability, please contact us at [email protected] for assistance.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert