Senior Program Manager
- Johns Hopkins University
- Administrative Jobs
- Institutional & Business Affairs, Program Administration, Technology, Analysts & Programming
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
Senior Program Manager
We are seeking a Senior Program Manager to help advance the work of the Office of the Provost, under the direction of the Executive Vice Provost. In close collaboration with University Administration Executive Director of Finance & Administration and Director of Human Resources for University Administration, the incumbent will be responsible for overseeing financial operations for the unit, including development of annual operating budgets, monthly and fiscal year-end closing, related reporting, and presentation materials for meetings with senior leadership. The position will also help manage certain HR functions for the office in coordination with the HR Director, including supervising select staff that support the office, assisting with recruitment/hiring/onboarding, salary administration, leave management, HR policy interpretation, and information dissemination.
The manager will also be responsible for supervising fiscal activities and overseeing the work of administrative staff at the Johns Hopkins India Private Limited (JHIPL) and acting as a central point of contact at the University for all JHIPL matters. This is a for-profit operating subsidiary of JHU established in India to foster strategic growth of JHU's research portfolio in India and comply with local laws and regulations. JHIPL offers divisions and PIs the ability to hire and oversee projects and/or employees/ consultants in India under the Johns Hopkins name.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead the development of the Provost's office annual operating budget for submission to the UA business office.
- Prepare and defend budget proposals to unit and divisional leadership. Meet regularly with the Executive Vice Provost to share financial results and discuss areas of improvement.
- Develop plans and monitor operating funds, as well as minor and major capital submissions for the unit.
- Perform monthly reconciliations to ensure that transactions are complete and accurate.
- Interpret and review financial data to evaluate financial projections to assist leadership in making overall business decisions.
- Define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw conclusions with direction (as necessary from others).
- Implement quality control and process improvements with regard to overall business process.
- Use various software applications, such as spreadsheets, relational databases, cost-accounting systems, statistical packages, and graphics packages to assemble, manipulate and/or format data and/or reports.
- Serve as liaison between the Provost's office and divisional finance staff.
- Review, approve and monitor invoices, travel reimbursements, shopping carts, and purchase orders on a day-to-day basis in SAP, in accordance with University policies and procedures.
- Initiate non-payroll cost transfers and e-forms.
- Act as a liaison between JHIPL's administrative management in India, the JHIPL Board of Directors, and University Administration (UA) on administrative, compliance and tax matters.
- Serve as a main point of contact in UA for all University faculty and staff who use JHIPL to either respond substantively to a matter or question or direct it to the appropriate party within UA or at JHIPL.
- Provide fiscal oversight of JHIPL activities and prepare regular reports for the JHIPL board members.
- Collaborate with US- and India-based finance staff and investigators to facilitate work flow, develop budgets and justifications for JHIPL in line with JHIPL and University processes and protocols as well as overall department needs.
- Liaise closely with the University's faculty-led Gupta-Klinsky India Institute (GKII), the JHIPL board, global operations units (including legal, finance and business support services, global payroll, risk management and compliance, safety and security, tax, and vendor management) and other JHIPL stakeholders to assure portfolio growth and strategy aligns with new structures and country laws/requirements.
- Provide direction to less experienced staff concerning JHU finance policies, BW reporting, purchasing/procurement and travel modules of SAP.
Human Resources (HR)
- Develop staff job descriptions for new hires, and restructure current job descriptions for upgrading of staff positions as needed.
- Process requisitions for new hires, and perform other HR-related tasks, e.g., hiring, terminations, salary changes, and performance management.
- Work closely with Central HR for appropriate grading and salaries.
- Monitor and evaluate ongoing staffing needs, and reports to leadership as needed.
- Manage the appointments, promotions, and reappointments of faculty and staff.
- Assist vice provosts other divisional managers with all HR issues.
- Keep everyone apprised of annual review dates. Provide managers with performance appraisal forms and salary increase options as they relate to the fiscal budget.
- Help orient all new employees to the provost's office, ensure all forms are properly filled out and submitted, and that new employees contact all necessary offices (e.g., Human Resources, Registrar, Parking, I.D., etc.).
- Develop new administrative policies and procedures as needed to ensure smooth operation of the unit. Make recommendations to the Executive Vice Provost in the form of decision options.
- Work with the in-country JHIPL administrators and staff to operationalize necessary task orders, contracts and agreements for execution of project protocols.
- Conduct self in an exemplary fashion to achieve goals and set example for others within the Provost's office.
- Contribute to building a culture of high performance and a positive employee experience.
- Establish communication channels with staff and faculty, to provide advice, assistance, and service that aids them in attaining related objectives.
- Be a source of information for senior leadership and other office personnel.
- Communicate with appropriate internal and external administrative offices to ensure established procedures are followed.
- Recognize where coworkers need assistance and take initiative to help.
- Serve as a representative of the Provost's office for budgetary and HR issues.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
Special Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Ability to perform routine and complex finance and accounting activities requiring knowledge of systems, independent judgment, and an ability to respond accordingly.
- Strong customer service orientation with internal and external stakeholders.
- Collaborative team player who works to maintain harmonious working relationships with co-workers, peers and supervisors.
- On a regular and continuous basis, exercises administrative judgment and assumes responsibility for decisions, consequences, and results having an impact on people, costs, and/or quality of service within the functional area.
- Ability to manage multiple and competing priorities.
- Must adhere to guidelines regarding honest reporting of sensitive and confidential information.
- Experience in working with foreign (non-U.S. based) stakeholders and developing relationships, including managing competing priorities including at an external University affiliate. Experience with India specifically is helpful.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Finance, Accounting or other related field.
- Five years progressively responsible professional-level administrative or financial experience related to monetary or non-monetary resources of a department, center or unit.
- Master's degree in a related field may substitute for required experience and additional experience may substitute for education, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
Classified Title: Sr. Administrative Manager
Working Title: Senior Program Manager
Starting Salary Range: Min. $71,230-Mid. $97,880-Max $124,510 Annually (Commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday-Friday; 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: Hybrid/Homewood Campus
Department name: Provost and Sr VP for Acdmc Affs Off of
Personnel area: University Administration
The referenced salary range is based on Johns Hopkins University's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level. Johns Hopkins offers a total rewards package that supports our employees' health, life, career and retirement. More information can be found here: https://hr.jhu.edu/benefits-worklife/
Please refer to the job description above to see which forms of equivalency are permitted for this position. If permitted, equivalencies will follow these guidelines:
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
**Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check. Johns Hopkins is committed to hiring individuals with a justice-involved background, consistent with applicable policies and current practice. A prior criminal history does not automatically preclude candidates from employment at Johns Hopkins University. In accordance with applicable law, the university will review, on an individual basis, the date of a candidate's conviction, the nature of the conviction and how the conviction relates to an essential job-related qualification or function.
The Johns Hopkins University values diversity, equity and inclusion and advances these through our key strategic framework, the JHU Roadmap on Diversity and Inclusion.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
EEO is the Law
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at [email protected]. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711. For more information about workplace accommodations or accessibility at Johns Hopkins University, please visit accessibility.jhu.edu.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/ and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.
The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
To apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Baltimore-Senior-Program-Manager-MD-21218/1007922600/
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-89c36fe36ffbd64cb6462889bd37518c
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert