- Georgia Gwinnett College
- Georgia Gwinnett College
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
Location: Georgia Gwinnett College
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Job ID: 255972
Located in the vibrant community that is Gwinnett County, Georgia Gwinnett College (GGC) is a technology-rich, financially affordable, four-year institution with an access mission, housed on a modern 260-acre campus, 30 miles northeast of downtown Atlanta.
GGC's transformative model of education prepares students to be life-long learners through the four pillars of scholarship, leadership, service and creativity. With a diverse student body of over 11,000 and a similarly diverse faculty and staff of 1,300+, the college embraces innovative approaches to education and administrative services through an inclusive culture.
Georgia Gwinnett College recognizes the talents of its faculty and staff as the institution's most critical asset. Essential to the college's mission is the critical need to attract, retain, and engage a diverse and highly qualified workforce. In addition to the University System of Georgia's expansive benefit and retirement offerings, employees who have completed six months of regular full-time service with GGC are eligible for the system's Tuition Assistance Program (TAP). This program fosters the development and professional growth of employees through tuition assistance for eligible courses at any of the system's 26 institutions.
The University System of Georgia's total compensation package features an outstanding set of employee benefits for eligible positions, including, but not limited to, medical, dental, and vision plans, paid holidays, sick and vacation leave and retirement savings plans. More information can be found by visiting the USG Benefits webpage: https://benefits.usg.edu/Job Summary
The Resident Assistant (RA) at Georgia Gwinnett College (GGC) is responsible for developing and maintaining an atmosphere that promotes student success in living and learning communities through campus life involvement, excellence in academic integration, and personal development opportunities for students. The RA's role is to positively and safely connect with the members of the residential community by engaging students through programs, one-on-one conversations, collaborations, and meetings that foster a sense of community and belonging. The RA serves as role model, team member, and a representative for Georgia Gwinnett College.Responsibilities
- Understand, communicate, and enforce community safety, emergency, and fire evacuation policies and procedures, providing emergency response and referral services and resourcesDevelop and maintain relationships with residents utilizing strategies such as intentional conversations and programming to encourage their academic and social development.
- Be visible and available on the floor or building in order to understand the needs of the residents.
- Facilitate welcome meetings and programs in support of Grizzly Orientation and Student Move In to assist students in connecting to resources in residence and across campus.
- Support all residents and help create an understanding between students by promoting and encouraging participation in various community and College sponsored events that focus on social, recreational, and educational experiences.
- Create and distribute Student Housing approved communications to support an inclusive environment welcoming to all residents; decorate assigned areas in support of theme programs and other events.
- Act as a mediator in conflict situations when needed (i.e. roommate, noise, etc.).
- Respect and treat all individuals fairly and equitably by being open and understanding of all religious identities, abilities, sexual orientation, gender expression, cultural & ethnic identities, and citizenship status.
- Serve as a liaison between the residents and the campus community to provide resources for residents seeking assistance.
- Foster a sense of belonging and connection to the Grizzly community as new students transition to campus and throughout the academic year.
- Understand, support, abide by, and enforce GGC Student Code of Conduct and Policies, Housing policies and procedures, and all other applicable policies while providing unparalleled customer service and respect for residents.
- Address resident behavior that is inappropriate and/or is in violation of campus policies and procedures; Document behaviors, using the incident report form and take appropriate action to stop the behavior.
- Attend and constructively contribute to all weekly staff meetings, staff training and orientation, and any meeting scheduled by Student Housing Staff.
- Assist the management staff in efforts to maximize the community's occupancy.
- Participation in the preparation for and implementation of opening/closing of the halls during start and end of semester which may include, but is not limited to: inspection of resident rooms and inventories, occupancy checks, administrative, programmatic, logistical, and physical preparation of floors/suites, hall/area, and unit.
- Assist in keeping the community clean by surveying common areas regularly, reporting any concerns and/or helping with the clean up when necessary.
- Serve on one or more RA committees as assigned by the supervisor.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Time Commitment -
Due to the nature of the position, RAs are expected to have a presence on campus and in the Student Housing community. RAs can have outside employment but are limited to a maximum of 10 hours per week. (Extracurricular activities, internships and organization commitments should also be factored in when considered time commitments related to these requirements).
Resident Assistants are required to sign a housing agreement and live on-site for the duration of their employment. Housing contract fees and meal plan only will be covered as compensation for employment. Should employment terminate for any reason, the Resident Assistant shall be given the option of paying the remaining term of the housing contract and meal plan or electing to terminate the housing contract. However, the Resident Assistant may be required to relocate to a different suite based on business needs of the college.
Application Deadline: May 15, 2023
- Must be enrolled a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester (minimum of 3 credit hours for the Summer Semester) at Georgia Gwinnett College during entire period of employment.
- Must have and maintain a 2.75 GPA throughout employment. Verification of GPA will be required each semester.
- Must have at least 24 credit hours completed at the time of application.
- Must be in good academic standing at the time of application and maintain good academic standing for the duration of employment
- Must be in good conduct standing with the Office of Student Integrity and maintain good conduct for the duration of employment.
- RAs must be available every Tuesday at 2:00 pm for the mandatory weekly staff meetings.
- A commitment of approximately 16 hours/week is required (some weeks may be more, whereas others may be less, depending on time of year, events, issues in the hall, etc.), which includes but is not limited to duty tasks, engaging with residents, required meetings, duty coverage, program implementation and attendance, being visible and available to residents, and addressing the specific needs of the community.
- RAs are required to work during some evenings, weekends, and holidays. This includes providing the hall coverage during vacation and holiday periods (which may include Thanksgiving and Spring Break among others).
- Must be able to complete 16-hour duty shift, along with duty tasks.
- Must be able to actively participate in all semester residence training including support of move in/out activities; New semester training and area staff continued training programs are mandatory for all RAs.
- Professional demeanor with excellent customer service skills.
- Must have strong communication and interpersonal skills; this includes the ability to speak, read, and write English.
- Model and encourage a "can-do" attitude among staff.
- Maintain a professional attitude and manner in all work relationships.
- Maintain a positive outlook on all GGC departments and campus members.
- 3.0 grade point average.
- 12+ credit hour/semester load.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational, time management and multi-tasking skills.
- Accuracy and attention to details.
- Willingness to learn new skills to accomplish tasks.
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Georgia Gwinnett College, as determined by Georgia Gwinnett College in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Georgia Gwinnett College is an equal employment, equal access, equal educational opportunity, and affirmative action institution. It is the policy and practice of our institution to recruit, hire, train, promote, retain, and educate persons without regard to race, color, national or ethnical origin, age, disability, sex/gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or veteran status as required by applicable state and federal laws (including Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, ADA, Sections 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, AREA, and Executive Order 11246 ). For questions or more detailed information regarding this policy, please contact the Georgia Gwinnett College Human Resources Team at (678) 407.5070 or email [email protected] Individuals requiring disability related accommodations for participation in any event or to obtain print materials in an alternative format, please contact the Payroll and Benefits at (678) 407.5054 or email [email protected] Any individual who feels that they may have been discriminated against, should contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Title IX Compliance at [email protected]Other Information
Due to the volume of applications, applicants may not receive a reply from the College unless an applicant is selected for an interview. Review of applications will continue until positions are filled. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States and proof of eligibility will be contemporaneously required upon acceptance of an employment offer. Any resulting employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation, as determined by Georgia Gwinnett College in its sole discretion. Georgia Gwinnett College, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion. Georgia is an open records state.
Position requires local travel. Ability to lift and carry files and materials. Ability to move from one office to another office on campus. Adequate vision, hearing and manual dexterity to interact with people in person, on the phone and in writing. Job takes place in normal environmental conditions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert