Faculty Position FY23-066
March 14, 2023
School of Business
The Dean is the chief administrative and fiscal officer of the School of Business and is responsible for the overall operation of the School, working with university personnel, School administrators, faculty, staff, students, alumni and other partners in the region. The dean advocates for and promotes the School of Business, internally to the university and externally to the community – locally, regionally and nationally. The dean collaborates with leaders at the university, system and community levels on shared initiatives. The dean supports and promotes the mission, vision, values and goals of Southern Illinois University Edwardsville and the School of Business. The dean of the School of Business will embrace and embody anti-racism, diversity, equity and inclusion (ADEI), ensuring academic excellence and inclusivity within all facets of the School. The dean reports to the University Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.
The Dean of the School of Business will be expected to carry out the following roles and responsibilities:
▪ Provide transformative and dynamic leadership in setting and implementing a vision and strategic plan for the School.
▪ Ensure the ongoing vitality of the School, with clear dedication to both its mission, its commitment to research and discovery and engagement in the region.
▪ Actively engage with constituents at the school, university and system levels, as well as local, regional and national external constituents.
▪ Work with the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and the Chancellor on issues related to academic operations in support the School’s efforts within the campus, the SIU system and broader community.
▪ Engage collaboratively with other Schools and the SIU system and serve beyond the School as an institutional and academic leader.
▪ Demonstrate an abiding commitment to anti-racism, diversity, equity and inclusion within the School’s operations and outcomes. In particular, the dean should be ready to champion ADEI efforts in terms of work environment, student success, faculty and staff recruitment, professional development and retention.
▪ Work collaboratively within a shared governance system and a multiple union environment.
▪ Allocate funds and resources in a transparent manner designed to achieve academic excellence and fulfill the mission of the School;
▪ Provide leadership and strategic planning to direct the AACSB accreditation process in fall 2026.
▪ Provide direction and leadership in the development, coordination, administration and evaluation of academic programs and curricular offerings.
▪ Contribute to the increased focus on developing online programming and enhancing the internationalization of the curricula.
▪ Foster growth among an increasingly international student body.
▪ Build relationships with student organizations and encourage their growth to add value to our student body.
▪ Engage with active advisory boards and outreach activities including executive education programs, continuing education and business outreach efforts in the greater St. Louis region.
▪ Collaborate with the SIUE Advancement office to engage with School alumni on a nationwide outreach effort to strengthen existing relationships, enhance fundraising activities and increase external funding to support the School.
▪ Actively promote SIUE and the School throughout the region and the nation to grow undergraduate and graduate enrollment.
- Terminal degree in an appropriate field from an accredited institution of higher learning;
- Demonstrated successful experience in administration within a complex organization;
- Evidence of scholarly or professional achievement that will merit a tenured faculty appointment in one of the departments of the school;
- Experience in developing and managing a budget and aligning it with the strategic priorities and mission of the School;
- Significant experience with external fundraising;
- Demonstrated experience preparing for and completing the AACSB accreditation process;
- Demonstrated experience in the promotion and advancement of anti-racism, diversity, equity and inclusion;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively with all constituencies, particularly with the business and corporate communities through knowledge and understanding of business and its role in society;
- Ability to be the School’s ambassador and foster partnerships among academic, business and other stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to create a shared vision, lead change and successfully implement strategic priorities;
- Demonstrated collaborative and stable leadership in complex and changing higher education and business environments;
- Evidence of scholarly achievement that will merit a tenured faculty appointment at the rank of Full Professor in one of the departments of the School;
- Demonstrated skill as a good listener and transparent communicator;
- Successful experience in administration at the college and/or university level;
- Familiarity with the most recent 2020 AACSB Business Accreditation Standards.
- Ability to work with faculty to apply an understanding of current business trends into innovative curriculum offerings and learning experiences that will enhance student career opportunities;
- Experience in revenue generating academic programming by engaging in university-wide initiatives such as online education, lifetime learning and international programs; and Experience in engaging and managing an advisory board.
Terms of Appointment
Continuing, 12-month, 100%; tentative start date January 1, 2024.
Source of Funds
Commensurate with experience. For more information about employment benefits and policies, visit: Faculty Employment Benefits
All applications, nominations and inquiries are invited. Applications should include, as separate documents, a CV or resume and a letter of interest addressing the themes, including ADEI, in this profile.
Application materials should be submitted using WittKieffer’s candidate portal.
Nominations and inquiries can be directed to:
Jeff Compher and Bree Liddell
WittKieffer is assisting SIUE in this search. Preference will be given to applications received by November 3 after which applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis until the search is completed.
SIUE is a state university - benefits under state sponsored plans may not be available to holders of F1 or J1 visas. Applicants will be subject to a background check prior to an offer of employment.
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination against employees, applicants for employment and students on the basis of age, color, disability, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran's status.
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Acts (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, please call 618-650-2190 or email EmploymentHR@siue.edu.
The SIUE Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.siue.edu/police/cleary-act-forms/ . The report contains campus safety and security information, crime statistics, fire safety policies, and fire statistics for the previous three calendar years. This report is published in compliance with Federal law, titled the “Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act” and the Higher Education Opportunity Act also known as the “Campus Fire Safety Right to Know.” For those without computer access, a paper copy of the report may be obtained, with a 24-hour notice, from the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Administration, Rendleman Hall, Room 2228, 618-650-2536.
Dual Career Support for New Faculty
The Career Development Center has partnered with SIUE's Toward an Inclusive Model of Excellence project to provide a variety of career services and resources to partners of new faculty who have relocated to the Greater St. Louis area. Support for this initiative was provided by the National Science Foundation (NSF) through Award 1936141. Outlined below is a specific list of career services and resources available to help you on your career journey. Individuals are eligible to receive a maximum of three, one-hour appointments. Visit them online at: https://www.siue.edu/career-development-center/faculty/NSF-Advance-GrantLanding.shtml