: Adjunct FacultySubscribe:
: Division of STEM and Health CareersLocations:
: Des Plaines, ILPosted:
: Mar 13, 2023Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: Part Time FacultyRef. No.:
: PTCNB-23Position ID:
About Oakton College :
Oakton College, a caring community of educators dedicated to excellence in teaching and learning. Applicants must be strong communicators and effective classroom facilitators who enjoy teaching in a student-centered environment.
Candidates with a commitment to working in a culturally competent environment are especially valued at Oakton.
We encourage applications from candidates who reflect the increasing diversity of Oakton's student body and community, who will enhance and promote engagement with other cultures, and have a demonstrated commitment to working with and as part of a multicultural faculty and diverse student body and community.
Located seventeen miles from downtown Chicago, Oakton serves northern Cook County with campuses in Des Plaines and Skokie, Illinois.
This is a pool search; we are looking for qualified adjunct Cannabis Studies faculty.
Botany and Cultivation of Cannabis
Laboratory course focuses on the anatomical and biological aspects of the cannabis plant. Students will work with the cannabis plant or a substitute plant. Content includes seed to harvest cannabis growth cycle, plant health, agricultural cultivation techniques, state regulations of industry standards, and structural and physiological aspects of cannabis including terpenes, cannabinoids, and the pharmacokinetics of cannabis.
Part-time faculty are paid on a lecture hour equivalents (LHE) basis. For most courses, the LHE is the same as a credit hour. For others, the LHE represents additional work for teaching the class, such as grading papers for Composition classes or teaching a class with a laboratory section (computers, languages, and the sciences); in those cases, the LHE represents a figure higher than the credit hour. All part-time faculty start at the beginning pay rates, regardless of the level and type of experience obtained elsewhere. Those rates for the 2022-23 academic year are $1173/LHE for faculty without doctorates and $1243/LHE for faculty with doctorates
Applicants must be strong communicators and effective classroom facilitators who enjoy teaching in a student-centered environment.
Oakton especially values candidates committed to working in a culturally competent environment. Cultural competence integrates and transforms knowledge about individuals and groups of people into specific standards, policies, practices, and attitudes used in appropriate cultural settings to increase the quality of services.
Applicants should be current and skilled in their use of evolving technologies, active in promoting critical thinking, and committed to challenging our students to be knowledgeable, ethical, and capable global citizens. Oakton seeks enthusiastic faculty who are committed to innovation in college-level teaching and learning, and interested in non-traditional delivery of instruction. The College expects faculty to be professionally competent, have strong leadership qualities, participate in professional development activities, and engage in institutional and departmental service.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Construct a course syllabus for each course assigned, consistent with the generic course syllabus, stipulating course objectives, content and grading criteria.
- Prepare course presentations and instructional materials using active learning methods and a variety of instructional strategies, deliver instruction to students with those presentations and materials at each class session delivered in person on campus or online.
- Meet with courses and laboratories at scheduled times.
- Instruct, advise, consult with and evaluate the performance of enrolled students.
- Maintain clear records on student performance involved with the evaluation and grading of student performance.
- Participate in department meetings and comply with department decisions regarding instructional matters.
- Participate in department and institutional assessments of student learning and in department and institutional surveys.
- Comply with institutional procedures.
- Attend and participate in divisional meetings, committee, task force, and other institutional organization meetings, as assigned.
- Schedule office hours with at least one office hour held weekly for every three credit hours taught.
- Engage in professional development activities to maintain professional skills and currency in the profession and improve the quality of student learning.
- Required: Bachelor's degree and minimum of 2000 hours of work experience in the cannabis field; must be 21 years or older and able to meet Illinois Department of Financial & Professional (IDFPR) requirements to acquire an Agent Card, which may include fingerprinting and criminal background check.
- Preferred qualifications: Bachelor's degree in biology or related field; experience in greenhouse or warehouse cultivation of cannabis or other plants; experience delivering courses or webinars in an online format using a learning management system or web conferencing software
Part-time faculty are hired on a semester-by-semester basis. A reasonable effort is made to assure the assignment of courses to more senior part-time faculty who are fully qualified by virtue of their education, training, work experience as related to current technology and pedagogical techniques, and who have had a history of successful performance at Oakton College.
All assignments are conditioned on sufficient enrollment. Once a course starts, the part time faculty member is expected to complete the course.
Please contact Matthew Robitaille at email@example.com if you have any questions or experience problems in submitting your application.
Required documents for a complete application file include a completed applicant questionnaire, cover letter, resume/cv, official transcripts for the hiring credential, and 2 original, signed recommendation letters or college placement/credential file.
Interested applicants must submit their application, cover letter and resume/cv on the Oakton website. Please indicate the position code (PTCNB-23) on the cover letter.
Recommendation letters may either be submitted with original signature or e-mailed directly from the reference to firstname.lastname@example.org
Transcripts may either be submitted on official paper or as pdf copies of official transcripts e-mailed directly from the Registrar's Office to email@example.com
Transcripts and recommendation letters are required prior to appointment.
Official transcripts and original letters of recommendation or college placement/credential file should be mailed to: Faculty Search PTCNB-23, c/o Department of Human Resources, Oakton College, 1600 E. Golf Rd., Des Plaines, IL 60016.
Oakton is accessible by public transportation.
Oakton College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.