Search #: 497297JOB SUMMARY
Work type: Full-time
Location: Storrs Campus
Categories: Student Programs and Services
The CLAS Academic Services Center in the College of Liberal and Sciences (CLAS) at the University of Connecticut is accepting applications for the position of Academic Advisor 1. The successful candidate will serve as Academic Advisor in the Biological Sciences. Candidates must be comfortable working with a large and diverse student population in a fast-paced environment. The primary focus of this position is on advising undergraduate students about academic requirements, regulations, and procedures. Additionally, the position provides program support.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Advises undergraduate students, at all levels, in planning their academic program, including advising on specific curriculum decisions, the appropriate choice and scheduling of courses, selection of and change of major or minor, deadlines, and other related items.
- Assists in planning and implementing scheduling and registration activities, orientation programs, and other activities, as assigned.
- Audits student records to determine progress toward meeting academic requirements and to assess eligibility to graduate.
- Advises students in planning an academic program and may provide advice regarding career goals.
- Prepares materials and participates in new student orientation, open hours, and other events and workshops, including assisting in the presentation of materials regarding enrollment and advising.
- Serves on College or University committees associated with undergraduate advising.
- Provides additional counseling to warned students, those with academic difficulties, and students contemplating withdrawal.
- Serves as a resource for students, faculty, parents, and others having questions about programs or academic policies; makes referrals as appropriate.
- Serves as a resource for PeopleSoft/StudentAdmin issues for faculty, students, and staff. As appropriate compiles information regarding the schedule of classes and program statistics.
- Maintains appropriate files and records, which may be computerized, and assists in compiling statistical reports.
- Provides information regarding various specialized programs and opportunities for scholarships/awards.
- Assists in reviewing students eligible for dismissal.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in liberal arts and sciences or a related field and three years advising post-secondary students or related experience in an academic setting OR Master's degree in liberal arts and sciences or related field and one year of advising post-secondary students or related experience in an academic setting.
- Proven ability to relate well to students, faculty, and parents.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
- Knowledge of the academic areas represented in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at the University of Connecticut.
- Master’s degree in higher education, counseling, or liberal arts and sciences.
- Three or more years of experience in advising undergraduate students in an academic setting.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and decision-making skills.
- Experience working with underserved and/or underrepresented student populations.
- Experience working with Peoplesoft or similar student administration systems in higher education.
- Experience working with undergraduate students in STEM fields.
The salary range is $57,000-$65,000. Other rights, terms, and conditions of employment are contained in the collective bargaining agreement between the University of Connecticut and the University of Connecticut Professional Employees Association (UCPEA).
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.TO APPLY
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs
, Staff Positions, Search #497297 to upload a resume, cover letter,
and contact information for three (3) professional references.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on March 31, 2023.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Advertised: Mar 10 2023 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Mar 31 2023 Eastern Daylight Time