Vice President, Marketing and CommunicationsLocation:
University of Oklahoma, Norman CampusOpen Date:
Mar 7, 2023Description:
The Vice President of Marketing and Communications will lead and facilitate MarComm through its transition into an integrated and strategic operation that advances the brand’s reputation, and growth across the University of Oklahoma community and beyond. This marketing professional plans and leads external and internal communications across all colleges and university business units while ensuring quality, consistency, and integration of marketing and communications University-wide. The leader in this role promotes a consistent, differentiated brand through the development and execution of branding and growth marketing and communications campaigns across a wide variety of audience segments. With roughly six to eight direct reports and reporting directly to the University President, the VP, Marketing and Communications is a member of the executive team and has oversight of MarComm for OU’s 3 campuses, global programs, extracurricular programs, athletics, and Trademark & Licensing. The role leads the institution’s newly restructured Marketing and Communications enterprise and collaborates across a wide variety of stakeholders to deliver consistent and cohesive marketing and communications strategy.
The VP of Marketing and Communications partners with the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer of OU Health, the state’s flagship academic health system, to strategically position healthcare academics and research in The University of Oklahoma’s brand while partnering to create linkages between the two institutions.
- Develop the leadership vision and provide strategic direction to implement forward-thinking and proactive marketing and communication strategies, branding, media relations, engagement, target marketing, marketing technology, marketing trends and experiential marketing in support of OU’s Strategic Plan. Build a distinct market position for OU to enhance the visibility, brand, and reputation of the institution on an international, national, state, and local level.
- Provide executive leadership and strategic oversight for all marketing and communications with responsibilities to ensure integration of messages across all campuses, programs, affiliates and partners.
- Partner across OU’s executive officers, leadership and academic Dean’s to ensure the marketing and communications function is supporting and executing upon strategic goals of the institution and its respective operating units (i.e. enrollment, athletics, colleges
- Partner with the University’s affiliated academic health system marketing executive to create brand linkages and mutual external and internal synergies between the University and OU Health.
- Serve as an executive officer for OU and provide executive leadership in resource management and budgetary decision and allocation to shape and drive progress and achievement of university-wide goals.
- Lead brand strategy and branded journalism, executing a data-driven fully integrated marketing and communications strategy.
- Aligns University resources to achieve strategic objectives of OU through marketing and communications strategies.
- Integrates OU’s Purpose and Core Values of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging across OU’s owned, earned, and paid platforms to reflect the diverse and welcoming environment of the OU community.
- Lead efforts to segment, target, and engage diverse audiences through data driven market insights. Lead the development and use of qualitative and quantitative market insights to develop strategies for engagement and growth amongst OU’s target markets.
- Develop, prioritize, and oversee outreach strategies to promote awareness, understanding, and support of the university mission and strategic goals.
- Lead emergency and crisis communications and manage the media following any serious events that impact the OU community.
- Measure and report on return-on-investment of marketing initiatives and public relations efforts
- Maintain expertise in emerging technologies and marketing tools to showcase OU as a leader in education and research.
- Envision and develop a proactive media relations program that cultivates community, state, and national media network relationships to strategically position the University.
- Lead the University’s Trademark Administrative Committee charged with managing university brand standards.
- Lead and develop a high performing University-wide marketing and communications team.
- Serve as a Campus Security Authority (CSA) by fulfilling training and reporting obligations related to campus safety protocols
An attractive compensation package will be offered based upon background and experience, including base salary, and an excellent benefits plan.Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, business, communications, or a related field of study
- Extensive years of experience in progressive marketing leadership roles
- Experience leading significant organizational change through effective collaboration and communication
- Demonstrated track record of success and performance
- An advanced degree in business, marketing or communications is preferred
- Familiarity with geographically dispersed campuses, research intense public institutions, state government and the relationship with the academic health system is preferred
- Experience in a higher education environment is preferred
Qualified applicants are requested to submit a cover letter, resume or curriculum vitae and a list of at least three references.
For inquiries, please email email@example.com Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
The University of Oklahoma, in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, disability, political beliefs, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. This includes, but is not limited to: admissions, employment, financial aid, housing, services in educational programs or activities, or health care services that the University operates or provides.
The University of Oklahoma is committed to achieving a diverse, equitable and inclusive university community by recognizing each person's unique contributions, background, and perspectives. The University of Oklahoma strives to cultivate a sense of belonging and emotional support for all, recognizing that fostering an inclusive environment for all is vital in the pursuit of academic and inclusive excellence in all aspects of our institutional mission.
Mission of the University of Oklahoma
The Mission of the University of Oklahoma is to provide the best possible educational experience for our students through excellence in teaching, research and creative activity, and service to the state and society.