Utility- Maintenance Tech/Custodian
- Muskegon Community College
- Muskegon, Michigan, United States
- Administrative Jobs
- Academic Affairs, Research Staff & Technicians, Institutional & Business Affairs, Auxiliary Services, Facilities Management & Sustainability
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Community College
We are accepting resumes for Utility – Maintenance Tech/Custodian positions. Please indicate on your resume or cover letter which shift you are looking for. We will reach out to qualified candidates as openings become available.
Named the 19th Best Community College in the U.S. in 2021, Muskegon offers accredited academic programs leading to 54 associate degrees and 32 certificates. As an Achieving the Dream College, MCC’s nationally recognized commitment to student success unites its faculty and staff in their mission to prepare students, build communities and improve lives.
One of Michigan’s most picturesque community colleges, the Muskegon main campus building - an award-winning Alden Dow design - spans Four Mile Creek on a 15-acre sylvan setting. The campus boasts several new multimillion-dollar facilities - the Health and Wellness Center, the Science Center and the Art and Music Building - and includes University Park Golf Course and the Carr-Fles Planetarium. The Sturrus Technology Center in historic downtown Muskegon is home to state-of-the-art applied technology offerings, the Rooks|Sarnicola Entrepreneur Center and the Lakeshore Fab Lab. MCC offers classes in adjacent Ottawa and Newaygo Counties.
Muskegon Community College provides excellent benefits options. Full time employee benefit options include:
- Three health plan options (includes a high deductible plan with a health savings account currently under $40 a pay period for family premium cost).
- Free dental, vision, life insurance and long term disability insurance.
- Retirement plans including state Pension or 14% MCC Retirement Contribution to TIAA (differs by group).
- Voluntary retirement savings plan options (403b or 457 plans)
- Tuition benefits at MCC for you and your eligible dependents.
- Generous paid time off plans.
- Paid holidays and holiday closure period in late December.
- Onsite Fitness Center at the Main Campus & discounts to University Park Golf Course
Starting Wage: $17.07-18.47 Depending on ExperienceRequired Skills
To maintain a safe, secure, clean and orderly/efficient learning environment in campus buildings and on campus grounds while assisting any and all teams within the department. This position must operate independently while practicing appropriate safety practices and decision making in multiple areas. This individual will be a part of a team responsible for work including but not limited to custodial, grounds, maintenance, and skilled trades.
Qualifications: Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Minimum of high school diploma or GED.
- Ability to work independently and understand written instructions.
- Basic computer skills. Word, Excel, and Outlook experience preferred.
- Ability to write and generate reports.
- Demonstrated ability to relate to and work with people of all ages, races, and social-economic backgrounds
- Ability to work as part of a team while maintaining positive interpersonal communication and organizational skills essential along with demonstrated willingness to learn and share new ideas.
- Knowledge and demonstrated ability to operate and maintain grounds, maintenance, and custodial equipment.
- Dependability and punctuality.
- Knowledge in proper use of cleaning chemicals, supplies, techniques and equipment.
- Demonstrated motivational and problem solving capabilities with a high degree of integrity, ethics and dedication to the mission of the College.
- Prefer state of Michigan license in one of the following trades: Boiler operator, Plumbing, Mechanical, Electrical or Building Contractor.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and promote a positive working environment, spirit of cooperation and positive reactions to change and conflict resolution.
- Ability to function at a high caliber and capacity with frequently changing job tasks and priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to lift 80 lbs. minimum.
- Valid Michigan driver’s license and meets the MCC vehicle operator standards. Ability to travel to all campus locations.
- Willingness to work overtime if required.
- Maintain and ensure clean grounds and parking lots including, but not limited to, the following:
- Pick up all parking lot and grounds litter.
- Block roads and place traffic cones as needed.
- Maintain traffic cones and blocking equipment.
- Maintain Traffic signs, posts, and bases.
- Adhere to all safety and health regulations, and report all unsafe conditions to Supervisor.
- Make off-campus pick-ups and deliveries as instructed including those that may require truck, or fork lift services.
- Assist grounds crew with snow removal, mowing, lawn maintenance, pruning & trimming trees, leaf cleanup, and maintenance as assigned.
- Maintain College vans, trucks, and autos for daily use: washing, waxing, fueling, oil changes, lubrication, and minor repairs.
- Maintain vehicle service records. Arrange service work on vehicles through the Physical Plant Office.
- Perform all duties related to the maintenance of all College buildings and grounds including, but not limited to, painting, furniture and equipment repair and assembly, building and grounds repairs, etc.
- Maintain emergency power generators. Track oil changes, fuel / oil levels, monthly run tests, and maintain maintenance records in the Physical Plant Office.
- Maintain work and material storage areas in a neat and clean condition.
- Must be available for work on overtime basis to assist in snow removal or any other emergency as needed.
- Maintain friendly and positive disposition while providing exceptional customer service to all those supported including the departmental team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional position functions:
- Assist Grounds and/or external contractor(s) with equipment repairs as needed.
- Perform typical cleaning functions including, but not limited to , sweeping (hand and machine), scrubbing (hand and machine), mopping, floor stripping, waxing, polishing (hand and machining), buffing (machining), vacuuming, window washing, emptying trash in outside waste collectors and container, etc., as assigned by supervisor.
- Operation and maintenance of machines and equipment used to perform job functions.
- Do set-up, knock-down, clean-up work required by campus activities and special events as assigned.
- Assemble furniture, equipment, change light bulbs and fluorescent tubes, do minor repair work as assigned, (wall washing, cleaning vents, registers grills, etc.).
- Participate in training programs made available by the College.
- Assist with equipment, office, supply, and furniture moves as requested.
Physical, Mental, and Environment Requirements Include:
☒ Detailed Work
☒ Student Contact
☒ Deadline oriented
☒ Problem Situations
☒ Multiple Priorities & Demands
☒ Emergency Situations
☒ On-call Availability
☒ Continual Interruptions
☒ Working Alone
☒ Faculty Contact
☒ Working with Others
Muskegon Community College continues to promote staff diversity, and is an equal opportunity employer. MCC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, political persuasion, disability, height, weight, veteran status, age or any other protected class in any of its educational programs, activities or employment. Minorities, women, veterans, and the physically challenged are encouraged to apply. Anyone with a disability will be reasonably accommodated by the College. If you have a disability and need an accommodation or assistance in applying for this position, please contact the Human Resources Office.
Job LocationMuskegon, Michigan, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert