Nutrition Educator - Pinellas County
- University of Florida
- Administrative Jobs
- Institutional & Business Affairs, Community & Government Relations
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
Nutrition Educator - Pinellas County
Job No: 525972
Department: 60451000 - AG-FAMILY NUTRITION PROGRAM
Extension Program Assistant
The UF/IFAS Extension Family Nutrition Program (FNP) is seeking an enthusiastic SNAP-Ed Nutrition Educator to deliver nutrition and health education to youth in Pinellas County communities. Our Educators receive on-the-job training and development. FNP offers meaningful work to be passionate about. Join us!
About SNAP-Ed and FNP
SNAP-Ed (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program - Education) is a federally funded grant program that teaches people how to eat healthy on a budget and be more physically active to reduce the risk of obesity and chronic disease.
- Our programming is focused on youth from pre-k through high school, where 50% or more students receive free or reduced meals or are otherwise considered eligible.
- FNP has been providing SNAP-Ed in Florida since 1996.
About the Opportunity
Nutrition Educators (NEs) use standardized curriculum materials based on the Dietary Guidelines for Americans to teach food and nutrition-related subject matter (physical activity, food safety, healthy eating practices) to youth audiences in a group setting.
- Programming may be one-time lessons or a series and include activities such as food demonstrations and taste tests, gardening, soccer, and other hands-on learning. Most classes are face-to-face, with occasional virtual programming.
- Travel to local programming sites in a personal vehicle (mileage reimbursement paid). Sites can include schools, summer food service programs, community centers, recreation programs, afterschool programs, and early childhood education centers.
- Actively recruit new partners and foster existing relationships, with a goal of reaching participants and expanding programming. NEs take ownership of their calendar, using strategy and planning to ensure a full schedule.
- Collaborate locally, regionally, and statewide with partners and colleagues. Projects include school gardens, lunchroom initiatives, and other interventions that create healthy policies, systems, and environments for our communities.
- Capture impact and tell the FNP story through reporting, survey collection, and success narratives.
- Receive orientation and ongoing training on foundational nutrition, teaching methods, recruitment strategies, and related professional topics. NEs become certified in food safety and complete the National Nutrition Certification Program. Regular training will take place in group and independent settings, in person and online.
A Great Place to Work
The UF/IFAS Extension Family Nutrition Program has a culture of purpose and passion, with a strong commitment to employee well-being and a positive, collaborative workplace. We allow for flexibility including non-traditional schedules and options for hybrid work. When you join FNP you are joining the renowned University of Florida, a Top 5 institution with Extension offices in every part of the state.
What We Are Looking For
- Someone who identifies with and embraces FNP Core Values
- Outgoing and comfortable leading and engaging groups in a classroom setting
- Ability to network, engage potential partners, communicate program value, and identify opportunities for collaboration
- Ability to interact with diverse participants, partners, and colleagues in a positive, professional, and respectful manner
- Someone who will contribute their individual talents to the success of a team
- Self-motivated and proactive, with an ability to effectively manage time and resources, and work with minimal supervision
- Commitment to continuous learning and development, including receiving and giving feedback
- Skills to adapt to change as the program priorities or audience changes
This position is supervised by a regional Extension Program Manager. The normal work schedule is Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm. Flexible scheduling will be required due to the nature of the program, including some evenings and weekends. Schedule variations would be known in advance. NEs lift and carry teaching materials and supplies up to 50 lbs. The job may require standing for prolonged periods of time, stooping, pushing and pulling. Teaching may take place outdoors and may include physical activity. A valid driver's license and reliable daily transportation for business travel is required. Final candidates are subject to successful completion of a background check.
The University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences is committed to creating an environment that affirms diversity across a variety of dimensions, including ability, class, ethnicity/race, gender identity and expression. We particularly welcome applicants who can contribute to such an environment through their scholarship, teaching, mentoring, and professional service.
If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352-392-2477 or the Florida Relay Service at 800-955-8771 (TDD) or visit Accessibility at UF.
$17.00 hourly compensation + Benefits
The University of Florida offers outstanding benefits and retirement options, generous leave plans, a health and wellness program that reflects its commitment to quality of life and quality of work, and many more competitive perks and rewards. Highlights include:
- Coverage options for individuals, spouses / domestic partners, and children
- Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Flex Spending, Disability, and many optional plans
- State of Florida Retirement
- Paid Family Leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Tuition reimbursement (Employee Education Program)
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (UF is a qualifying employer)
- Free LinkedIn Learning
- Discounted goods and services; free MS software for personal use; financing for personal computers
High School Diploma or Equivalent.
Valid driver's license and reliable daily transportation for business travel required.
Candidates who are interested in the position and meet the minimum requirements are encouraged to apply.
- Experience in education, childcare, community health, food prep or service, or related fields
- Experience working with youth audiences (pre-k through high school)
- Experience working with lower resource clients
- Connections to community
- Comfortable using technology for educational, data entry, and communication purposes (email, video meetings, Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Office suite of tools, web)
Special Instructions to Applicants:
This is a time-limited, grant-funded position headquartered in Largo, FL (Pinellas County UF/IFAS Extension).
This position is eligible for veteran's preference. If you are claiming veteran's preference, please upload a copy of your DD 214 Member Copy 4 with your application for consideration. See our Veteran's Preference Page for more specific information.
A level II background check will be required pre-employment.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
Health Assessment Required:
Applications Close: 02 Apr 2023
To apply, visit https://explore.jobs.ufl.edu/en-us/job/525972/nutrition-educator-pinellas-county
The University is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information and veteran status in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert