Lead Instructor of Biology-Tenure Track
- Oklahoma State University-Oklahoma City
- 900 N. Portland Ave. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, 73107
- Faculty Jobs
- Science & Technology, Chemistry & Biochemistry, Life Sciences
- Position Type
- Tenured & Tenure-Track
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
900 N. Portland Ave.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, 73107Hiring Supervisor and Contact Info:Luke RhodesHiring Range:
(Contingent upon available funding):0.00 - 0.00, Commensurate with education and experienceWork Schedule:Monday - Friday occasionally include some evenings and weekendsJob Summary:Job Description:To develop, in each student, the skills of critical thinking and to help students learn biology presented to them in order for that student to become a positive member of the community. Duties include the coordination of biology courses and adjunct instructors.
- Teaches a minimum twelve (12) credit hours for laboratory classes per semester or equivalent service in the area of biology. This may include evening instruction.
Teaches freshman and sophomore level biology lectures and laboratories.
Assists and coordinates the preparation of laboratory materials and chemicals.
Maintains an accurate inventory of laboratory equipment and supplies.
Assists coordination of safety procedures and appropriate chemical storage.
Maintains student and course records.
Coordinates the collection of appropriate course and program assessment data as per division policy.
Maintains and files current course outlines, objectives and grading procedures for all courses.
Advises and assists students in selecting appropriate academic courses.
Posts and keeps office hours as per departmental standards.
May serve as lead instructor for the coordination of adjunct faculty and associated duties.
Assists in the design/revision of courses and curricula.
Serves on special projects and committees.
Participates in faculty/staff development through format course work, seminars, workshops, professional organizations, or professional literary material.
Exhibits innovative and adaptive instructional methods.
Provides continuing education experiences for the community.
Completes all mandatory training and participated in a minimum of two professional development each year. Performs other duties as assigned.
Master’s Degree in Biology or related field.
- Must be qualified to teach and provide leadership in an academic discipline and/or degree program.
Minimum of one year of college-level teaching experience.
Skills, Knowledge,Abilities Required:
- Teaching Competence – Must be able to create lesson plans, content, presentations, ancillary materials, and assignments to effectively transform information to knowledge for students; have the ability to assess student learning and progress.
- Communication skills – Must be able to communicate verbally and in writing with clear, grammatically correct English and prepare complex reports on deadline; requires interaction with supervisors, colleagues, students, alumni, advisory committee members, and the public, using tact, discretion, and independent judgment.
- Computer skills – Must be demonstrably proficient in Microsoft Office (MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel), as well as e-mail, internet and learning management systems.
- Passion for assisting customers and representing the OSU-OKC and OSU brand with positivity and professionalism.
- Demonstrated history of ethical and professional behavior.
Doctorate in Biology or related field.Other performancemeasures:
Successful performance of the job requires creativity,initiative, and effective problem solving. Must work constructively with faculty, staff, and university officialsto accomplish essential job functions. An incumbent must use tact anddiplomacy. Following school dress standards, proper attendance or leavepolicies, and other work-habit concerns are required. Working Conditions:
- Laboratory environment. Exposure to chemicals and repetitive activities common to science labs, such as cutting and pipetting.
Position may require up to 30% of the work week be performed outside of regular hours.
Must be able to work a flexible schedule to include some evenings and weekends in an often times busy and noisy environment.
Work will be performed in an office environment with a significant amount of public contact, in person, by telephone, via email, and various communication platforms.
- Must be able to perform physical activities such as, but not limited to, lifting up to 25 lbs. (If an object weights more than 45 lbs., OSU-Oklahoma City requires this to be a two-person lift) unassisted, bending, standing, repetitive motions, climbing or walking.
Must be able to handle and safely dispose of chemicals, solutions, biohazardous material, and any other hazardous materials common to the science lab.
Oklahoma State University is a modern land-grant system that prepares students for success. Orange is the Answer. Through leadership and service, OSU improves the lives of people in Oklahoma, the nation and the world. OSU has more than 35,000 students across its five-campus system with students from all 50 states and around 120 nations. Established in 1890, OSU has graduated more than 264,000 students to serve the state of Oklahoma, the nation and the world.
Oklahoma State University-Oklahoma City (OSU-OKC) is part of the modern land-grant system of Oklahoma State University. OSU-OKC is a two-year public institution, offering more than 50 degrees and certificate options. Through quality education, a supportive environment, leadership training and service opportunities, OSU-OKC trains students to work and educates them to lead. OSU-OKC graduates are found throughout the community serving as police officers, firefighters, nurses, teachers, healthcare professionals and business owners. osuokc.edu
Oklahoma State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/E-verify employer committed to diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or other protected status. Oklahoma State University campuses are tobacco and vapor-free.
900 N Portland
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert