One Year Restricted Faculty Lecturer in English
- Germanna Community College
- Locust Grove
- $52,801-$71,633 Annually, plus full state benefits. Salary is commensurate with education and experience
- Faculty Jobs
- Arts & Humanities, English Literature & Composition
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Community College
One Year Restricted Faculty Lecturer in English
Work Location: Fredericksburg - 630
Hiring Range: $52,801-$71,633 Annually, plus full state benefits. Salary is commensurate with education and experience
Full Time or Part Time: Full Time
Germanna Community College is a public, open access institution of higher education in the Virginia Community College System. The College is a dynamic learning organization that serves as a Germanna regional leader and preferred partner where quality learning experiences enable students to participate effectively in the social, economic, political, intellectual, and cultural life of their communities. Germanna Community College is centrally located in Fredericksburg, VA between Washington D.C. and Richmond and between the Blue Ridge mountains and the Chesapeake Bay. Full of history, the area offers a community rich with diversity, the arts, technology, vineyards, hiking, canoeing/kayaking, and many other activities.
Germanna Community College seeks an innovative and collaborative individual to join the college as a Full-Time Faculty Lecturer in English. This highly selective position is designed to assist early-career higher education professionals gain qualified college-level teaching experience, and receive career mentorship.
Full-time faculty at Germanna Community College support the College mission, vision, and values, and are an important part of a community and culture designed to meet the community's diverse and changing educational needs. Faculty are dedicated to student success through teaching, mentoring, and encouraging a diverse student population to think critically and independently with the goal of self-discovery and problem solving.
This is a nine-month full-time faculty position with an opportunity for an additional summer teaching contract. Salary is commensurate with experience and credentials plus State benefits. Faculty Lecturers will receive financial support to attend the VCCS New Horizons regional conference. Applicants are required to have completed 18 graduate credits in the subject area/discipline to meet appropriate accreditation credentialing. Official transcripts will be required prior to final offer requirements. Appointment date: August 16, 2023. This position is a one-year grant funded position.
Full-time faculty will:
- Normally teach 15 credit hours per semester (dependent upon discipline) during the academic year
- Be accessible to students outside the classroom and hold a minimum of ten on-campus or virtual office hours per week; if offering online office hours, they are required to provide online synchronous office hours suitable for the needs of all students
- Use multiple teaching modalities to engage diverse student populations
- If instructing in distance learning modalities, be expected to implement the components of Regular and Substantive Interaction (RSI) and keep documentation of their efforts, either through the learning management system or another method, to ensure that federal guidelines are met after appropriate training is provided by the College
- Provide students with timely feedback on assignments and documented formative and summative evaluations of progress
- Provide academic advising to students and disseminate current information pertaining to services available to students at the College
- Use a learning management system for course information delivery to students
- Be involved in curriculum development, academic assessment, and re-accreditation
- Participate in Commencement; Convocation; College-wide, Division, Department, Faculty meetings; assigned committees, task forces, projects; search committees; recruitment/community events; professional development activities; and other tasks as assigned that promote the College's overall mission, in-person or virtually as required
- Create and maintain learning environments that support and engage students in cooperative, collaborative, meaningful and relevant learning experiences
- Encourage students to think critically and independently in ways that lead to self-discovery and problem solving, as individuals and as members of a learning community
- Encourage students' competencies and talents in ways that are consistent with course and program outcomes and lead to careers and transfer opportunities
- Work collaboratively with others (including full- and part-time instructors) across the College to ensure consistency of student outcomes and continuity of material through department, division, or cross-disciplinary activities and to advance Germanna's culture of caring for the whole student
- Participate in scholarly and creative engagement as well as service to the College and to the community
- Be knowledgeable of and adhere to all applicable College, local, state, and federal guidelines, regulations, and policies pertaining to employment at a state institution
- Adhere to all administration and College deadlines
- Professionally develop and continuously improve teaching and learning
- Incorporate equitable teaching practices in all instruction
- Complete other tasks as assigned by the dean or program head
- Adhere to the faculty handbook
Teaching duties, in collaboration with a department chair, may include:
- Day, evening, and/or weekend courses based on departmental needs, student needs, and faculty availability
- Assignment at more than one campus or center
- On- and off-campus, distance learning, web delivery, and instructional laboratory and clinical assignments, as appropriate and assigned for the discipline
Employees must be able to work strategically with diverse colleagues, students, and community members with a commitment to diversity as a learning outcome to be culturally respectful, professionally competent, and civically responsible.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values of Germanna Community College. We recognize our responsibility to create, maintain, and nurture an academic and social environment that respects the diversity of people and ideas. We are committed to being an inclusive community that respects all cultures, experiences, and abilities and that prepares individuals to thrive in a global society. An EEO/AA Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or on the basis of disability. Germanna is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled.Germanna is a federal contractor requesting priority referrals of protected veterans for our job opportunities.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to access job openings or apply for a job on this site as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by contacting Johnathan Scheiterle by phone at 540-423-9056 or by email [email protected].
If you would like to see a copy of our Affirmative Action Plan please contact Barbara Hall by phone at 540-834-1067 or by email [email protected].
May be required to perform other duties as assigned. May be required to assist the agency or state government generally in the event of an emergency declaration by the Governor.
- Master’s degree in English, or master’s degree in related discipline and 18 hours of graduate credit in teaching discipline, or required credentials specified in the VCCS-29: Normal Criteria for Each Faculty Rank Teaching in an educational setting or supporting college-level instruction (e.g. GRA or TA)
- Demonstration of strong communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Demonstration of ability to facilitate student success in higher education
- Willingness to assume relevant technological skills required for effective teaching
- Willingness to assume duties to support the strategic goals of Germanna Community College
- Demonstration of a commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity
- Indication of teaching and service furthering the goal of building a culturally diverse educational environment
- Community college or college teaching experience
- Experience reviewing assessment data to improve student success
- Maintenance of currency in respective professional discipline
- Demonstrates computer skills that can be applied to a learning management system such as Canvas
Posting Number: FAC_908P
Job Close Date: 3/29/2023
Open Until Filled:
To apply, visit https://jobs.vccs.edu/postings/58220
The Virginia Community College System, an EEO employer, welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds and recognizes the benefits of a diverse workforce. Therefore, the VCCS is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. We prohibit discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disabilities, political affiliation, veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit factors.
The VCCS is an EOE and Affirmative Action Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Acts (ADA and ADAAA), VCCS will provide, if requested, reasonable accommodation to applicants in need of access to the application, interviewing and selection processes.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert