Residence Life Area Coordinator
- Central College
- Pella, IA
- Administrative Jobs
- Student Affairs, Residence Life
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
Locations:: Pella, IA
Posted:: Feb 21, 2023
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Position ID:: 159309
About Central College:
Central College in Pella, Iowa, is a private, four-year liberal arts college. Central is known for its academic rigor, its leadership formation and, most importantly, for its work creating genuine connections among students, faculty, coaches and alumni that help graduates realize their career aspirations for a lifetime. We are steadfastly dedicated to cultivating diversity of thought and culture through the arts and sciences, professional fields of study and experiential learning. The Central experience is rooted in exploration and self-discovery and enhanced by life in a residential community of 1,150 students with wide-ranging perspectives. Founded in 1853, Central values its long-standing relationship with the Reformed Church in America. The college participates in NCAA Division III athletics and is a member of the American Rivers Conference.
Central's home of Pella, Iowa, is a thriving community of more than 10,000. Pella impressively appears in Oprah's 2021 60 Charming American Towns You Haven't Heard of But Should Visit ASAP. The community is famous for its annual Tulip Time Festival, its Dutch pastries and its fully functional 1850s-style windmill. In fact, Pella has it all! Pella is located just minutes from Red Rock Lake, Iowa's largest lake, and is the corporate headquarters of several international companies, including Vermeer Corporation, Pella Corporation, Precision, Inc., and Lely North America.
Niche.com named Pella one of the Best Places to Raise a Family in Iowa and one of the Best Places to Live in Iowa in 2021.
Read more about our welcome statement and our covenant with the RCA.
Responsible to the Assistant Dean of Students for specific residential area operation management. This is a full time 11 month position.
- Direct operations of assigned residential buildings including management of area budget
- Open and close buildings and assess for damages while working closely with Facilities Management to approve work-orders
- Participate in academic year Area Coordinator on-call schedule and in summer Student Development on-call schedule
- Participate in emergency response and crisis intervention as required
- Confront summer guests violating community standards and report situation to appropriate Conference Services or Upward Bound personnel
- Educate students on community conduct standards and enforce campus policies regarding behavior including conducting administrative conferences and assigning sanctions
- Work with Resident Hall Staff to create and implement social, educational, and community development initiatives for area residents
- Facilitate area roommate mediations and room changes
- Coordinate application and selection process for specialty housing opportunities
- Selection, supervision, training, and evaluation of Resident Advisor staff
- Develop and implement student leadership training for staff and Hall Council members
- Bachelor's degree and full-time residence life experience required.
- Master's degree in Student Affair's or related field preferred.
- Evidence of strong administrative, team building, organizational, and interpersonal skills is essential.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks is necessary.
- On campus residence required, unfurnished apartment is provided.
- A meal plan is provided while school is in session.
- Central College is an equal opportunity employer and a drug/tobacco free workplace.
- A post-offer employment background check will be conducted.
Founded in 1853, Central College of Pella, Iowa, is a private, residential four-year liberal arts college known for its academic rigor and strength in global experiential learning, STEM (science, technology, engineering and math), sustainability education, athletics success and tradition, and leadership and service. Central continues to value its long-standing relationship with the Reformed Church in America. The college participates in NCAA Division III athletics and is a member of the Iowa Conference. Central is an active part of the Greater Des Moines region and just two minutes from Lake Red Rock, Iowa’s largest lake.
About the college:
At Central, curiosity is met with challenge and exploration yields self-discovery. Students focus on hands-on learning experiences and expand their worlds through service and internship opportunities, research projects with faculty and work-study positions. Central also actively supports off-campus study-abroad programs around the world as part of our commitment to global experiential learning and well over half of Central students study internationally prior to graduation.
The Central College academic community is dedicated to educating undergraduate students. Approximately 100 faculty and 300 staff members, full- and part-time, serve more than 1,300 undergraduates, who hail from Iowa, 26 other states, the District of Columbia, and nine countries around the world. The power of the Central global network through alumni, parents, donors, and corporate partners brings significant opportunities for the college and its students. Over 70 academic programs of study are offered to undergraduates, in addition to integrated interdisciplinary studies student-designed majors.
The campus culture is one of engagement. Half of the students participate in intercollegiate athletics. Central is in the NCAA Division III and a member the Iowa Intercollegiate Athletics Conference (IIAC). Of current students, 26% are enrolled in a fine arts course (art, music or theatre). The Mills Gallery showcases art exhibitions throughout the year, including student exhibits in the spring. Theatre programs involve students in every facet of stage production with a handful of major productions annually. A wide range of campus life and student leadership opportunities attract students in large numbers. Over 100 student organizations and clubs enjoy robust student involvement at Central.
Central College is a residential liberal arts college dedicated to helping students discover and develop their greatest potential. Guided by its ecumenical Christian tradition, the college community engages in vigorous, open inquiry in pursuit of academic excellence.
The College nurtures the development of the mind, while fostering spiritual and emotional maturity and physical well-being. Central integrates career preparation with the development of values essential to responsible citizenship, empowering graduates for effective service in local, national and international communities.
Just two minutes from Lake Red Rock, Iowa’s largest lake, the community of Pella is home to corporate headquarters of international companies such as Vermeer Corporation, Pella Corporation (Pella Windows and Doors), and Precision Pulley and Idler, Inc. (PPI). Pella is a thriving community of 10,350 residents, famous for its annual Tulip Time festival which is held each May.
While located in Pella, Central is also an active part of the Greater Des Moines region – a region ranked No. 1 for Metro with the Most Community Pride (Gallup, 2015), No. 2 in Top 10 U.S. Cities to Land Work (NBC News, 2015), No. 2 in Best Cities for Jobs 2015 (Forbes), No. 1 for America’s best cities for young professionals (Forbes, 2014) and has earned dozens of other top rankings as well. The college and the Pella community are both members of the Greater Des Moines Partnership, a regional economic and community development organization.
Central College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and a member of:
- North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
- State of Iowa Board of Education
- Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Educators
- National Association of Schools of Music
- American Chemical Society
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert