Research Assistant I - Molecular & Cell Biology Laboratory - Dr. Diana Hargreaves
- Salk Institute for Biological Studies
- La Jolla, CA
- Administrative Jobs
- Academic Affairs, Research Staff & Technicians
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
Position available in the Hargreaves Lab for overall lab management duties in support of the Principal Investigator’s (PI) studies. General lab maintenance duties include maintaining adequate inventory of materials and equipment to ensure adequate supplies for experimental needs, ordering supplies, taking inventory, upkeep and safety. Position is also responsible for performing various molecular biology, biochemistry, cell biology and mouse phenotyping techniques in support of lab and PI research goals. Range of duties include, but is not limited to: conducting procedures, modifying procedures as needed, data collection and analysis, tissue culture, recombinant DNA techniques, animal dissection, and laboratory maintenance.
(30%) Molecular Biology Techniques
- Perform chromatin immunoprecipitation, RNA purification, next-generation library preparation, ATAC-seq, CUT&RUN, CUT&TAG, and RT-qPCR for the study of epigenetic regulators.
- Immunoprecipitation, Western blotting, gel electrophoresis, small and large scale DNA purification, cloning, and cell staining.
- Molecular cloning to mutate genes and express mutated genes in cells, for example using CRIPSR/Cas9 engineering.
(30%) Tissue Culture
- Culturing of various mammalian cell types including primary mouse cells and human cancer cell lines.
- Production of lentiviruses.
- Perform transfections and lentiviral infection for overexpression/knockdown in various cell types.
- Isolation of protein, DNA, and RNA from cells.
- Perform immunofluorescence
(30%) Animal Phenotyping
- Assist animal procedures, including subcutaneous injection of cancer cells, measurement of tumor growth, intraperitoneal injection of treatments
- Animal and tumor dissection
- Preparation of tissues for single cell procedures like flow cytometry, single cell sequencing analyses
- Preparation of tissue sections for immunostaining
(10%) Lab Support
- Order general lab supplies and prepare stocks and reagents for common use.
- Manage and perform maintenance of mouse colony including setting up breeders.
- Manage lab equipment.
- Attend lab meetings and assist in general problem solving.
- Prepare PowerPoint slides detailing results for presentation.
- Train new lab members.
- Bachelor's degree in Biological Sciences or related scientific discipline required. Bachelor's degrees in a different discipline and a minimum of 2 years of experience in a scientific role will be considered in lieu.
- No professional experience required with relevant degree
- Previous experience as a lab technician or equivalent
- Animal experience a plus
- Experience with next-generation sequencing library preparation a plus
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Theoretical and hands-on knowledge of cell maintenance and molecular biology techniques.
- Theoretical knowledge of biological sciences; genetic linkage analysis methods; Mendelian genetics and molecular biological techniques, including the polymerase chain reaction (PCR).
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in researching information and analyzing data to arrive at valid conclusions.
- Skill in the operation and maintenance of various lab equipment.
- Ability to independently design experiments and debug protocols.
- Ability to manage and track large numbers of samples meticulously without mixup or cross contamination.
- Knowledge of standard laboratory management and safety procedures.
- Ability to make independent decisions, analyze situations, and solve problems.
- Analytical and critical thinking skills to identify and communicate problems.
- Proven ability to work both independently and also as part of a collaborative team.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written. Ability to communicate and act as a liaison with a diverse audience of professionals.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including tact, diplomacy, and flexibility. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships; interact with all levels of management and employees across multiple departments.
- Animal experience
- Next-generation library preparation experience
The salary range for this position is $18.03-$21.00 an hour
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in a mammalian cell biology-related research environment.
- Must be willing to work an adjusted schedule to support research needs.
- Must be willing to sign a confidentiality agreement.
- Successful completion of the Institute’s background investigation.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/MENTAL ACTIVITIES/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
This position requires constant adjusting focus, grasping, hearing, keying, seeing, sitting, talking, analyzing, calculating, communicating, reading, reasoning, writing, and working inside.
Working at Salk Institute for Biological Studies
The Salk Institute for Biological Studies is one of the world's preeminent basic research institutions, where internationally renowned faculty probe fundamental life science questions in a unique, collaborative, and creative environment. Focused on both discovery and mentoring future generations of researchers, Salk scientists make groundbreaking contributions to our understanding of cancer, aging, Alzheimer's, diabetes, and cardiovascular disorders by studying neuroscience, genetics, cell and plant biology, and related disciplines.
Faculty achievements have been recognized with numerous honors, including Nobel Prizes and memberships in the National Academy of Sciences. Founded in 1960 by polio vaccine pioneer Jonas Salk, M.D., the Institute is an independent nonprofit organization and architectural landmark.
Salk Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination Statement
The Salk Institute for Biological Studies is committed to providing equal access to opportunities for students, employees, applicants for employment and other persons.
Our policies prohibit harassment or unlawful discrimination against individuals on the basis of sex, gender, marital or parental status, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, medical conditions/disabilities related to pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding, gender identity, gender expression, or sexual orientation age, ancestry, color, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), family and/or medical care leave status, disability (mental or physical), registered domestic partner status, legally protected medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status (disabled veteran, veteran of the Vietnam era, other covered veteran status), national origin (including language use restrictions and possession of a driver’s license), race, religion or any other classification protected by local, state or federal laws.
The Salk Institute participates in the E-Verify program.
Reasonable accommodation is available for qualified individuals with disabilities and for individuals with religious restrictions.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert