Adjunct Faculty, Business Law
- Lone Star College
- Faculty Jobs
- Professional Fields, Business & Management, Law & Legal Studies
- Position Type
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Community College
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Job ID: 38872
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- One LSC
- Student Focused
- Own It
- Advance Equity
- Cultivate Community
- Choose Learning
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.Qualities of Excellence
As faculty members of Lone Star College, we strive to create a nation of world citizenry in our students. In that pursuit, we model ways of thinking and being that incorporate diversity, equality, and equity. Our culture, then, requires the possession of transcendent qualities that, while immeasurable, are evident in global citizens. We are compassionate with our students, colleagues, and ourselves. We are innovative in the pursuit of learning. Ultimately, we create a culture where learning thrives, people are safe, and we mirror the qualities of world citizenry.
Lone Star College faculty are dedicated to four qualities of excellence:
- Student Invested
- Content Expert
- Pedagogically Excellent
- Institutionally Dedicated
Lone Star College-Tomball
Lone Star College offers high-quality, low-cost academic transfer and career training education to 93,000+ students each semester. LSC has been named a 2021 Great Colleges to Work For® institution by the Chronicle of Higher Education and ranked 35th in Texas in the Forbes ‘America’s Best Employers By State’ list.
LSC consists of eight colleges, seven centers, eight Workforce Centers of Excellence and Lone Star Corporate College.
Founded in 1988, Lone Star College-Tomball is the third oldest college in the LSC system. LSC-Tomball offers a wide range of academic and workforce programs and is a leading college in the health sciences. LSC-Tomball is the founding college of the lifePATH® program, a four-year degree for adults with cognitive disabilities. LSC-Tomball enjoys a joint library partnership with Harris County Public Library, and we offer an early college high school with the Tomball Independent School District.
Location address is 30555 Tomball Parkway, Tomball, TX 77375.Job Description
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
It is the responsibility of the teaching faculty to provide the learning activities and support that will lead to the achievement of the course objectives and contribute to the educational environment of the college and the community. Primary responsibilities are to plan, develop and teach courses within the curriculum in a manner that facilitates student learning.
Adjunct faculty are hired in a part-time capacity on a semester-by-semester basis, contingent upon the needs of the System. Lone Star College accepts application material year-round from qualified applicants willing to teach on a part-time basis. Adjunct (part-time) faculty hiring is based on student demand. We offer day, evening, and weekend classes. Classes are offered at various times and locations during the academic year. As a rule, adjunct faculty may teach a maximum of five classes per academic year.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Teaches Business Administration courses at a variety of times and locations Creates engaging lessons that promote student involvement and application of the material.Submits required college reports and forms in a timely mannerUtilizes a course syllabus for each course, following established institutional guidelinesMeets with and advises students either before or after class or by appointment, electronic communication, or other appropriate methodsEvaluates students to measure their progress in achieving course objectives and informs students in a timely manner of their progress Maintains professional relationships with students, colleagues, and the communityAttends meetings, trainings, and orientations as requiredResponsible for other reasonable related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Mastery of course content
- Demonstrated leadership skills; Style that emphasizes collaboration, teamwork, and facilitation
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Commitment to diversity; Ability to appreciate alternative viewpoints; Ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people
- Demonstrates interest in interdisciplinary teaching, service learning, learning technologies, course development, and adult learning methodologies including collaborative learning, learning communities and distance learning
- Commitment to academic excellence, exceptional service and providing a dynamic climate for life-long learning
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement instructional approaches such as service learning/civic engagement, learning communities, and the effective use of technology
- Ability to use effective strategies to engage students in their learning
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment, and any specialized equipment standard within the discipline/industry
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled classroom and/or lab environment with minimal exposure to safety hazards
- Hours will vary depending on class time; Instructors are required to meet with classes at all scheduled times and be available to students outside of class instruction
- Master’s degree in Management/Business/ Administration, JD, or Master’s degree with 18 graduate hours in Management/Business
$49.75 per contact hour.Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver, participation in a tax deferred retirement plan, professional development opportunities and more.Special Instructions
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume.
If you are applying for an Instructional position (i.e. Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, Instructor), please ensure you include the following to be considered: Resume/CV, Cover Letter, Teaching Philosophy, and unofficial transcripts.
You must limit your file name for any attachment to 40 characters or less.How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
Working at Lone Star College
Lone Star College continues to be a leader in higher education while experiencing unpreceded growth. Lone Star College is the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area and one of the fastest-growing community colleges in the nation and is always seeking qualified and dedicated people to join our team. Our employees take advantage of state of the art learning and technology centers that focus on student success. It’s no wonder LSC continues to be recognized as a Top 10 degree producer by Community College Week.
It’s an exciting time to be a part of Lone Star College. We’re redefining the community college experience for our students, and our community. LSC created the Honors College for high achieving students in 2013 to push beyond just offering a limited number of honors courses. The Center for Civic Engagement launched in 2015 to increase student civic responsibility and help make our community a better place to live. We continue to expand and refine our workforce education and career training programs in partnership with regional and global employers and a rigorous alignment to their needs. LSC leads statewide reverse transfer, student success and pathway projects to increase student completion rates and improve learning outcomes.
And we’re increasing our international focus to support the increasingly global nature of our workforce.
At Lone Star College, tomorrow starts today. LSC is building the community college of tomorrow by taking action today.
Visit www.LoneStar.edu to learn more about how LSC is changing the way people think about community colleges.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert