Executive Director of West Virginia Network (WVNET)
- West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission
- Morgantown, West Virginia
- $125,000 - $150,000
- Executive Administration Jobs
- Other Executive Administration
- Administrative Jobs
- Technology, Network & Systems Administration
- Jobs Outside Higher Education
- Government Agencies
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Other Organizations
West Virginia Network (WVNET), located in Morgantown, connects K-12 schools, higher educational institutions, state and county governments, and various not-for-profits to the Internet and the rest of the world through our state-of-the-art network and telecommunications expertise.
The Executive Director leads the agency’s strategic planning and policy development, oversees budget, personnel, and serves as an advisor to the state higher education central office about education technology and information systems. Determines WVNET’s priorities based on customer, agency, statewide higher education goals and technology initiatives (i.e., broadband advancement). Participates in regional technology consortiums (i.e., The Quilt, EDUCAUSE, Internet2) to develop, deploy and operate advanced cyberinfrastructure that enables innovation in research and education.
The Executive Director reports to the Executive Vice Chancellor of Administration for the West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission (Commission), located in Charleston, West Virginia.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Regularly present to the Commission, the Council, and the Legislature regarding issues related to higher education information technology and project activities underway at WVNET.
- Serve as the chancellor’s designee on selected boards and committees.
- Maintain regular communications with the West Virginia Office of Technology, the Office of Broadband, and the Department of Education. Will ensure that WVNET works collaboratively with these agencies on statewide issues regarding networking, cyber security, and fiscal management.
- As requested, will serve on behalf of the Vice Chancellor as a member of the West Virginia Broadband Enhancement Council.
- Regularly communicate with vendors, state agencies, public schools, higher education leaders and other customers about existing services and opportunities to grow and improve WVNET’s product offerings and support.
- Maintain knowledge and oversight of major WVNET activities, including critical, 24-hour data center and system networking operations which require immediate decision-making and support to control and prevent crisis situations.
- Perform administrative duties related to overseeing a dynamic and evolving state agency.
- Approves personnel hiring, agency policies, procedures, contracts, major purchases and employee work and leave schedules.
- Coordinate project management, agency progress reviews, as well as counsel and appraise subordinates.
- Conducts staff meetings and works with the WVNET managers to delegate assignments.
- Stay current on the latest higher education technology trends and introduce new systems, methodologies, and techniques that save money and effort to WVNET, the Higher Education Policy Commission and customers across West Virginia. This includes evaluating vendors, researching current literature and technical journals, and maintaining a high level of expertise in computer center management.
- Is expected to be a statewide expert in information technology, online course delivery, student database management and networking.
- Consult the management team to develop and oversee the WVNET budget process, seeking ways to generate revenue while maintaining high levels of customer service and affordability for the local and state agency and education markets.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
- Broad and practical understanding of information technology with an emphasis in public and higher education.
- Ability to develop and implement strategic planning, organizational goals and sound management principles.
- Ability to manage diverse and multi-functional technology and software systems and customers across political subdivisions, state agencies and education institutions.
- Ability to respond quickly and effectively to changing situations, and to balance conflicting priorities.
- Ability to remain calm and focused during periods of high stress. Experienced in conflict de-escalation and resolution.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, supervisory, reasoning, and problem-solving skills.
- Strong communication and personnel management skills.
- Ability to develop an inclusive, dynamic, and diverse workforce that supports the agency and the Commission’s mission and represents the customers WVNET serves.
MINIMUM EDUCATION / CERTIFICATIONS
Minimum of a Master's Degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Software Engineering, Network Engineering or a related field is required.
Candidates with advanced degrees in any field may be considered with appropriate technology and agency management experience.
Additional licenses or related certification are a plus.
The successful candidate for this position will have an in-depth understanding of higher education, be knowledgeable of developments in higher education and information technology.
An ideal candidate will have the ability to translate information of a technical nature to a broad audience and should have strong analytical, writing, and public speaking skills.
EXPERIENCE **Details of relevant experience must be shown in your resume.**
Ten (10) years of job-related large department or agency management experience is required. Supervisory experience required.
Review of applications begins March 20, 2023. However, applications will be accepted until position is filled.
In addition to filling out the online application, qualified candidates must submit a letter of interest and a current resume.
DETAILS OF RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE MUST BE SHOWN IN THE DUTIES SECTION OF YOUR APPLICATION TO RECEIVE CREDIT FOR YOUR EXPERIENCE. An application with "see resume" as a response will not be considered.
Final candidates are subject to employment and credential verification, as well as reference and background checks.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer/Veterans/Disabled
The West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission and the Community and Technical College System of West Virginia are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. The Commission and Council provide a collegial, respectful and inclusive environment that values the diversity, creativity and contributions of its staff.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert