President and CEO
- Sofia University
- Palo Alto, California
- Executive Administration Jobs
- Presidents & Chancellors
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
Sofia University is seeking a dynamic, entrepreneurial, and visionary leader who will advance the mission of the University and create an exciting and sustainable future. The President will be an effective and inspiring team player who will continue to build on the institution’s successes in terms of enrollment, organizational strength, financial stability, and other indicators of resilience, and to develop and execute an ambitious strategic plan that emphasizes growth and ensures academic excellence. In relation to Sofia’s for-profit status, the President will seek revenue generating opportunities and work to develop successful partnerships to enhance Sofia’s financial performance.
With campuses in both Palo Alto and Costa Mesa, Sofia University is a private, for-profit institution accredited by the Western Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC).
Founded in 1975 and formerly known as the Institute of Transpersonal Psychology (ITP). Sofia University’s academic emphasis has been on providing graduate degree programs in Transpersonal Psychology. Transpersonal Psychology is defined as the scientific study of the full scope of human experience, ranging from the pain of trauma and dysfunction to the heights of creativity, intuition, and peak functioning. The University has since broadened its program offerings and integrated a transpersonal focus into all its new degree programs and disciplines, including doctoral and master’s degrees in Transpersonal Psychology, master’s degrees in Business Administration and Computer Science and bachelor’s completion programs in Business Administration and Psychology. The University has been a leader in transformative higher education offering students an experience that moves beyond a traditional learning environment. Sofia University “aspires to be a globally conscious leader in transformative education and thus to empower students with intellectual growth, ethical reasoning and the development of emotional intelligence”.
The University provides both on campus and online programs, allowing students the flexibility to pursue an education rooted in transformative and transpersonal values, in a format that best suits their schedule and needs. Through its Global College the university serves international students and seeks effective international partnerships. As Sofia continues to grow as a university, it remains committed to these transpersonal values, academic excellence, and a high-quality and diverse workforce representative of the community it serves.
The new president will bring demonstrated expertise and experience in:
- Academic achievement and scholarship
- International programs, partnerships, and collaboration opportunities as well as establishment of important international connections Institutional and business development
The President reports to, and is responsible to the Board of Trustees as specified in Sofia’s By-Laws and will also interact extensively with the Board of Directors, which holds fiduciary responsibility for the institution.
The President serves as chief executive officer with oversight for the academic and business integrity of the University and provides leadership in financial oversight and sustainability, budgeting, academic quality and integrity, long-range planning, community engagement, curriculum, new program development, and faculty and student support. Both operational and strategic acumen are paramount.
As the leader of the senior executive team, the President will reflect Sofia’s values: Service, Stewardship, Transformation, Academic Excellence, Cultural Humility, Innovation, Inspiration, Emotional Awareness and Commitment.
The President will foster an entrepreneurial culture, ensure academic excellence, and embrace Sofia’s humanistic and transpersonal origins with an emphasis on innovation, educational equity, and demand-based learning and student success. The President, working closely with the Board of Trustees and the senior executive team, will set and execute a strategy for the University in alignment with its vision, mission and values. In addition, the President will have oversight for the implementation of Sofia’s strategic goals and lead in the development and launching of new programs and partnerships to ensure continuous improvement, academic quality, and long-term financial sustainability and growth. The President will work collaboratively with the Sofia Research and Development Foundation in its efforts to increase fundraising opportunities.
- Ph.D., or equivalent credential, or terminal degree, combined with a demonstrated successful track record as an educator, scholar and administrator in a university/college setting
- Experience in international academic opportunities and as a successful academic entrepreneur establishing and promoting new programs and strategic partnerships, with international connections and business relationships Ability to develop revenue generating opportunities for the university as a for-profit entity Demonstrate passion for growing an organization, combined with strong business and technology acumen Strong strategic thinking skills with the ability to work with others to set priorities and establish strategies to move a complex organization forward Experience in strategic planning and board governance Experience with online/virtual or hybrid delivery formats
- Experience in working with Western Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC) or demonstrated successful experience in regional accreditation and state legislation ensuring compliance Ability to inspire and lead with a commitment to creativity, innovation, excellence in teaching and learning, and a student- focused approach Proven team leader, capable of working with Sofia’s stakeholders and the external communities; an effective and engaging ambassador for the University Ability to envision and advocate the importance of humanistic and transpersonal learning and education in a global context in a post COVID-19 dynamic learning environment
- Excellent written and oral communication, and effective human relations skills.
To ensure full consideration, completed applications are due by March 31, 2023, and should be sent to Susan Pang at [email protected] For further information and a copy of the Position Profile and related materials please contact Susan Pang.
For a confidential discussion about this exciting opportunity, inquiries may be directed to Kathryn Laurin, Chair of the Board of Trustees, at [email protected]
All applications will remain in the strictest of confidence.
Interested candidates should submit only a cover letter of no more than three pages and a resume/curriculum vitae. The cover letter will address your understanding of and interest in this opportunity as well as highlights of your experience and qualifications that relate to the position.
Starting date: July 1, 2023
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Sofia University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, and disability. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Human Resources Department at 888-820-1484 ext.10200.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert