Assistant Professor in Residence in Exercise Prescription
- University of Connecticut
- Storrs Campus
- Faculty Jobs
- Health & Medical, Exercise Science & Kinesiology, Science & Technology, Agricultural Science & Extension
- Position Type
- Assistant Professor
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
Search #: 497263
Work type: Full-time
Location: Storrs Campus
Categories: Faculty Non Tenure Track
The Department of Kinesiology at the University of Connecticut invites applications for a full-time (11-month appointment: 100% teaching/program administration) faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor in Residence. The anticipated start date is August 23, 2023.
The Department of Kinesiology is one of eight academic units within the College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources (CAHNR) and offers an undergraduate major in Exercise Science; two nationally accredited professional programs (Master of Science in Athletic Training, Doctor of Physical Therapy); as well as master’s and doctoral degrees in Exercise Science.
With 19 faculty, 165 undergraduates, and 150 graduate students, we actively engage in educating and training the next generation of health professionals, educators, and scholars.
The University of Connecticut and the Department of Kinesiology both embrace diversity as a core value and strive to attract, retain, and facilitate the success of talented people from all backgrounds.
The University of Connecticut (UConn) is in the midst of a transformational period of growth supported by the $1.7B Next Generation Connecticut (http://nextgenct.uconn.edu/) and the $1B Bioscience Connecticut (https://health.uconn.edu/bioscience-ct/) initiatives and a bold new Academic Plan: Path to Excellence. The Department of Kinesiology has exceptional opportunities for interdisciplinary collaborations with investigators, particularly in health-related disciplines, both at UConn Storrs and UConn Health. For further information, please visit the Department website (https://kins.uconn.edu/).
CAHNR has developed and implemented a Strategic Vision to guide the development and focus of our teaching, research, and extension programs in the years 2020-2025. Faculty hired for this position will be expected to make significant contributions in their area of expertise, contributing to the advancement of one or more of the CAHNR’s four strategic priorities.
The CAHNR Strategic Vision (https://cahnr.uconn.edu/visionandvalues/) provides additional information on the strategic initiatives and their related areas of emphasis.
Founded in 1881, UConn is a Land Grant and Sea Grant institution and member of the Space Grant Consortium. It is the state’s flagship institution of higher education and includes a main campus in Storrs, CT, four regional campuses throughout the state, and 13 Schools and Colleges, including a Law School in Hartford, and Medical and Dental Schools at the UConn Health campus in Farmington. The University has approximately 10,000 faculty and staff and 32,000 students, including nearly 24,000 undergraduates and over 8,000 graduate and professional students. UConn is a Carnegie Foundation R1 (highest research activity) institution, among the top 25 public universities in the nation. Through research, teaching, service, and outreach, UConn embraces diversity and cultivates leadership, integrity, and engaged citizenship in its students, faculty, staff, and alumni. UConn promotes the health and well-being of citizens by enhancing the social, economic, cultural, and natural environments of the state and beyond. The University serves as a beacon of academic and research excellence as well as a center for innovation and social service to communities. UConn is a leader in many scholarly, research, and innovation areas. Today, the path forward includes exciting opportunities and notable challenges. Record numbers of undergraduate applications and support for student success have enabled the University to become extraordinarily selective.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This position will provide coordination of the online professional Master's degree and graduate certificate in Exercise Prescription, as well as course instruction within the Exercise Science undergraduate curriculum, and the Exercise Prescription graduate programs. Service to the Exercise Prescription programs, Department, and College are required, as well as potential contributions to the Capstone research requirements of the program based on the area(s) of expertise.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Overseeing the launch of the online Master’s (M.S.) degree program in Exercise Prescription in the Fall of 2023.
- Collaborating with digital marketing colleagues in the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL) to direct recruitment and admission of students to the Exercise Prescription graduate programs.
- Collaborating with academic program support colleagues in CETL to create effective communication and engagement strategies to support student admission funnels, program onboarding, and program outcome assessment.
- Advising and mentoring students in the Exercise Prescription graduate programs.
- Teaching graduate courses in the M.S. degree and certificate programs in Exercise Prescription and undergraduate courses in Exercise Science (e.g., KINS 2227).
- Participating in an active program of professional development consistent with personal and professional goals.
- Demonstrating a deep commitment to effective equity-minded and inclusive undergraduate and graduate student instruction, and development of high-impact and innovative courses in the M.S. degree and certificate program in exercise prescription.
- Participating in the shared service responsibilities (e.g., committees, faculty meetings, retreats) expected of all faculty in the Department and College.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will also be expected to support the Department’s efforts to:
- Doctorate in a health-related field or higher education.
- Previous teaching experience in an institution of higher education, demonstrating excellence in teaching.
- Demonstrated excellence in both verbal and written communication in educational settings.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Strong commitment and value for promoting and supporting diverse and inclusive educational programming.
- Experience in Exercise Science/Exercise Prescription education that includes course development, classroom and laboratory teaching, conducting and managing learning experiences, evaluating student achievement, and contributing to curriculum development.
- Experience in advising and mentoring students at the graduate level.
- A minimum of five years of experience in a relevant clinical domain.
- Demonstrated experience teaching online and the effective integration of pedagogy with educational technologies.
- Record of scholarly activity with demonstrated potential to contribute to a successful research program.
- Experience in understanding and contributing to cultures of inclusive excellence, including working with those who have historically experienced barriers to achieving health and well-being due to their race or ethnicity, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, disability, geographic location, or other characteristics linked to discrimination or exclusion.
This is an 11-month, full-time, faculty position with an anticipated start date of August 23, 2023. This is a CIRE faculty appointment that is eligible for promotion to Associate Professor in Residence and Professor in Residence. This appointment is renewable annually and does not lead to academic tenure, but may lead to successive multi-year contracts. The successful candidate’s primary academic appointment will be in the Department of Kinesiology at the Storrs campus. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
Please apply online to Academic Jobs Online https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/24340 and submit the following application materials:
Review of applications will begin on March 15 and continue until the position is filled. Inquiries about the position should be sent by email to the Search Committee Chair, Dr. Laurie Devaney (email: [email protected]).
At the University of Connecticut, our commitment to excellence is complemented by our commitment to building a culturally diverse community.
This position will be filled subject the budgetary approval.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Advertised: Mar 21 2023 Eastern Daylight Time
Working at UCONN
The University of Connecticut is a national leader among public research universities, with more than 30,000 students seeking answers to critical questions in classrooms, labs, and the community. A culture of innovation drives this pursuit of knowledge throughout the University’s network of campuses. Connecticut’s commitment to higher education helps UConn attract students who thrive in the most competitive environments, as well as globally renowned faculty members. Our school pride is fueled by a history of success that has made us a standout in Division I athletics. UConn fosters a diverse and vibrant culture that meets the needs and seizes the opportunities of a dynamic global society.
9 Walters Avenue
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert