DescriptionThis role is located on the campus of the MGH Institute of Health Professions located in the Charlestown Navy Yard SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Hearing Aid Research Lab at the MGH Institute of Health Professions in Boston, MA has an opening for a post-doctoral research fellow with an interest in studying the effect of auditory prostheses (e.g., hearing aids) on spatial listening and learning in children. This position is a two-year grant-funded opportunity. The successful applicant will hold a PhD or AuD/PhD in hearing science, communication sciences and disorders, or a related discipline, and have strong technical and experimental skills, including experience working with older children and adolescents. The Hearing Aid Research Lab is the latest laboratory to join the research community at the MGH Institute of Health Professions. The candidate will work closely with the director, Andrea Pittman, PhD, CCC-A, to assemble the lab in a new state-of-the-art research center, contribute to overall research objectives, develop new related areas of research, and form productive relationships with colleagues at the Institute and in the Boston area. PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:Overall responsibilities include
Lab management (30%)Administering research protocols (40%)Contributing to the overall research effort in the lab and the Institute (30%)Specific responsibilities include
- Statistical analysis
- Literature review and report preparation
- Data collection in children and adolescents
- Training and providing technical support for lab personnel
- Create and manage research databases
- Contribute to dissemination of research findings (writing of manuscripts and presentations)
- Contribute to the development of research aims and grant writing
- Participate in lab meetings
- Other related duties incidental to the work described herein
QualificationsEDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS:
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
- Candidates with a PhD or AuD/PhD in hearing science, communication sciences and disorders, engineering, or a related discipline are encouraged to apply.
- The candidate should have experience with signal processing, coding, Excel/MATLAB/R, and statistical analysis.
- Candidate should have previous experience with hearing devices, signal processing, psychoacoustics, spatial listening is strongly preferred as well as experience with experimental and database management software.
- The successful candidate must be self-motivated and self-directed, with a strong interest in contributing directly to clinical care of people who have hearing loss.
- Administrative Skills: database management (e.g., RedCap), IRB documents and procedures
- Technical Skills: Data management and statistical analyses, proficiency with MS Office applications, reference software, basic programming with a willingness to learn new software applications, strong attention to detail.
- Physical Capabilities: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, and walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel small objects, tools or controls; talk, listen and record responses accurately. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. Specific hearing abilities include accurate speech perception in noise and from a distance and the ability to understand distorted and/or developing speech. Some travel is necessary in this position.
TRAINING/TIME REQUIRED TO LEARN JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- This is a 40 hour per week position that may include weekends. MGH IHP is located in the Charlestown Navy Yard, Boston, MA.
- Public transportation and parking are available to the Navy Yard area.
- Fundamental understanding of hearing and hearing loss is required; additional and higher-level skills will be taught on the job as needed.
MA-Charlestown-MGH IHPWork Locations:
MGH IHP (MGHCharlestownIHP)
36 First Avenue
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)Schedule:
Day JobEmployee Status:
Feb 16, 2023