- Bay Path University
- Longmeadow, MA
- Administrative Jobs
- Institutional & Business Affairs, Business & Financial Management, Health & Medical Services
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
Department:: 01-53-5335-Business Office
Locations:: Longmeadow, MA
Posted:: Feb 14, 2023
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Full-Time Salaried (Exempt)
Position ID:: 159080
About Bay Path University:
When Bay Path opened its doors to students in 1897, it had a very clear goal: to provide a practical, affordable, and career-oriented education to prepare students to not only meet the needs of companies, organizations, and communities but to also thrive in their professions, identify and realize their dreams, and make a lasting difference in the world. From the beginning, Bay Path prided itself on being entrepreneurial, constantly pushing the boundaries of the academic experience to fit the student...to start them on the road of success. That spirit and philosophy is best reflected in our shared vision, "At Bay Path, every learner's dreams of a better career, a richer life, and a brighter future will be realized."
Recognizing that our learners come first, we know it is equally important that we develop, cultivate, and sustain a culture that binds us together as a community. As part of the University's ongoing commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging, we draw upon our eight Core Values-beliefs that provide the internal framework and a moral compass for how we work and interact with each other.
Bay Path University, an independent and not-for-profit institution, was named Among Fastest Growing Baccalaureate Colleges and Graduate Programs by The Chronicle of Higher Education Almanac, and is a member of the Women's College Coalition. With a main campus in Longmeadow, MA, and a satellite location in East Longmeadow, MA, Bay Path offers undergraduate, graduate (for women and men) degrees, and professional certificates.
For 125 years, we have been committed to preparing our students to navigate a constantly changing world. Whether it is one of our innovative academic programs, groundbreaking online learning platform, or our Women as Empowered Learners and Leaders initiative, we educate our students in ways that will help them to grow, learn to adapt, and always to flourish. Be part of the change. Be Bay Path.
We invite you to visit our website at www.baypath.edu where you can learn more about Bay Path University.
- Position Code: BURSR
- IPED Classification
- CUPA Code: 196010
- Status: Full Time
- Hours: Monday- Friday, 8:30AM-5:00PM
- Location: Longmeadow/Hybrid
Under the general supervision of the Controller, this position serves as the Bursar for the University as well as supervising the daily functions of cashiering, bill generation, collections and the campus card system. The position is also responsible for developing, documenting, implementing and maintaining the accounting policies, procedures, and internal controls related to the processing and retention of student financial information for the University. The position contributes to the annual financial statement audit process and tuition revenue forecasting periodically throughout the year. Strong accounting, analytics and technology skills are essential.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Coordinate the billing function for multiple entry point sessions and semesters.
- Oversee all activities associated with the receivable system, including billing, payment plans, collections, write-offs and account reconciliations.
- Monitor student accounts receivables to ensure accuracy, timeliness, completeness, and compliance with regulations.
- With the Executive Director of Student Financial Services, maintain monthly calendar for student billing, financial aid disbursements and credit balance refunds.
- Oversee 1098T preparation and Qualified Student Health Insurance Plan (QSHIP) reporting.
- Review for accuracy and integrity all student account charges and correct variances.
- Review all monthly reconciliations prepared by the Executive Director of Student Financial Services.
- Ensure compliance with University financial policies.
- Prepare adjusting, closing and post-closing journal entries.
- Assist in the annual audit through the preparation of work papers and answering auditor inquiries.
- Continuously strive to enhance technology use as it applies to the Bursar's Office, and increase efficiency and effectiveness of the office and its staff.
- Oversee the annual renewal and/or bidding process to secure student health and sports accident insurance coverage that is compliant with all state and federal regulations and is adequate for the needs of our student population.
- Work with Health Services and student health insurance carrier or broker to resolve individual student health issues as needed.
- Ensure student account and health insurance questions are handled in a prompt, professional manner. When appropriate to do so, refer students to student health insurance carrier and/or broker for additional help resolving their insurance questions.
- Work with Athletic Director, Coaches, Trainers, students and student sports injury insurance carrier or broker to assure all club and intercollegiate sports injuries are handled promptly and completely. This includes prompt reporting of claims, submission of reimbursable student expenses and follow up, as necessary, until claim is closed.
- Ensure that student refunds are processed in accordance with federal regulations, and institutional policies and procedures.
- Maintain and update all student billing codes in Jenzabar to ensure charges are assessed accurately
- Ensure that third party payers of student tuition are accurately billed in accordance with third party contracts
- Produce a monthly report of students with outstanding balances for review with the Senior Vice President for Finance & Administrative Services, the Controller, and the Executive Director of Student Financial Services.
- Create, maintain and update relevant sections of Business Office Policies and Procedures Manual.
- Effectively supervise the Accounts Receivable Specialist and the Assistant Bursar. Assist cashier and billing functions during periods of peak business.
- Serve as back up to the Staff Accountant in performing all financial functions related to the campus card system and the general ledger.
- Attend trainings as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the University.
- Associates degree or equivalent experience required, Bachelor's degree in business, accounting or finance preferred.
- Minimum 5 years experience in supervisory accounting position within the Higher Education industry desired.
- Strong mathematical and accounting background, highly organized and detail oriented.
- Possess strong supervisory, customer service and interpersonal skills
- Proficient with electronic spreadsheets, MS Word and Excel
- Working knowledge of Jenzabar ERP system helpful.
- Demonstrated excellence in oral and written communications.
- Willingness to work flexible and extended schedule including weekends and evenings when necessary.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion and in alignment with the Family Educational Rights and Protection Act (FERPA) and Heath Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA) regulations
- Ability to adhere to University policies and procedures
- Should be committed to a culture of diversity, respect and inclusion.
- General knowledge of the University's mission, purpose and goals and the role this position plays in achieving those goals.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Bay Path University is a diverse community devoted to proactively nurturing a campus-wide culture that promotes and ensures equity, respect, inclusion and safety for all members regardless of race, color, national origin, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation and gender identity, socio-economic background, or physical ability. We are one University that opens our hearts and minds to conversations, to learning and to creating a community that is welcoming of all. Regardless of position, it is expected that each employee will embrace this commitment and demonstrate an attitude of respect toward and acceptance of all members of our community.
Applicants for this position should attach a cover letter, resume / curriculum vitae, and any other relevant information pertaining to this position and your candidacy. Please apply online. Faxes and emails will not be accepted.
Bay Path University is dedicated to building a culturally diverse and pluralistic faculty committed to teaching and learning in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from minorities, women and all underrepresented backgrounds. An Equal Opportunity Employer, Bay Path University is committed to fostering diversity in its student body, faculty, and staff.
Bay Path University is a smoke and tobacco-free community.
All offers of employment are contingent on satisfactory background checking.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), if you have a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a position please email us at [email protected] or call 413-565-1157.
Working At Bay Path University
Bay Path University, an independent and not-for-profit institution, was named Among Fastest Growing Baccalaureate Colleges by the Chronicle of Higher Education Almanac, and a member of the Women’s College Coalition. With a main campus and four satellite locations, Bay Path offers undergraduate, graduate, (for women and men) degrees, and professional certificates.
A Bay Path University education empowers undergraduate women and graduate women and men to become leaders in their careers and communities with an innovative approach to learning that prepares students to flourish in a constantly changing world.
The Bay Path experience is nothing less than transformational. Our women-only undergraduate programs and our coeducational graduate programs are offered both on campus and online, providing a flexible, 21st-century education for learners at all stages of life and career. Bay Path students find a supportive and diverse community, close mentoring, and rigorous preparation for success in a complex and globally interdependent society. Students graduate with the applied knowledge, portable skillset, and confidence to thrive in their professions, identify and realize their dreams, and make a lasting difference in the world.
Enrollment: Over 3,300 students
Alumni: Approximately 15,000 alumni around the world.
Athletics: Eight teams compete at the NCAA Division III level, in the New England Collegiate Conference.
University Motto: Carpe Diem, Latin for "Seize the Day"
- Longmeadow, MA - Home to our Residential College, for high school, transfer and International young women; One Day A Week College, for adult women with classes on Saturday; and Graduate College for men and women.
- Concord, MA - Our Concord location is home to our graduate programs in Education and Psychology for men and women.
- Sturbridge, MA - Our Sturbridge teaching site opened in 2003 and offers our One Day A Week College, for adult women with classes on Saturday and select graduate programs for men and women. This teaching location provides students with all of the support services of our main campus including access to library services, administrative and academic deans, student financial services, and the Registrar’s Office.
- East Longmeadow, MA - The Philip H. Ryan Health Science Center is located on our East Longmeadow site. This state-of-the-art facility houses our Master of Occupational Therapy, Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies and our Master of Occupational Therapy Bridge programs.
Offers classes on-ground Monday through Friday.
At Bay Path University, we welcome students (commuters and residents), just like you, from across the country and around the world who are smart, capable young women who want to make a difference and be successful.
Here, you join a small, highly personal community that empowers you to take ownership of your life through:
- Highly relevant majors and minors that give you practical knowledge, a global viewpoint, and the unique perspectives that make connections between subject areas and current topics.
- Leadership opportunities that focus on your strengths, encouraging you to find your voice and act on your convictions.
- Real-world experience balanced with career counseling that gives you a distinct advantage for graduate school or that rewarding first job.
- More important, our admission counselors are here to help you and your family, guiding you through the admissions and financial aid process by taking your questions and connecting you with the right resources.
Why it pays to be a Bay Path woman:
- Significant Financial Support. All of our full-time students receive a merit scholarship from Bay Path University, and more than 96% of our students receive additional financial aid that included grants, scholarships and loans.
- Close Attention from Faculty. With a 12:1 student-to-faculty ratio, you'll form close relationships with your professors that will lead to research, internship and networking opportunities.
- Thoughtful and Intentional Career Planning for Life. Our Sullivan Career and Life Planning Center (SCLP) is one of the best of its kind. As a Bay Path student, you will have lifetime access to the SCLP and the services it provides, including one-on-one career coaching and mentoring.
A Place Where Knowledge Is Gained and Shared
If you ask a Bay Path woman graduate to define her academic experience, it would be one word: transformational. There is no other way to describe it.
Yes, we have majors in neurobiology, cybersecurity, and business analytics, as well as minors and concentrations that deepen your knowledge in a specific area. But we also educate the whole person, giving you the courage and confidence to be your best self, to help you get where you have to go, and to take on more in your life. It’s why women’s education still matters.
American Women’s College
Are you one of the 76 million American women who has accomplished many things in her life yet still lacks a bachelor's degree? You are not alone. At The American Women's College, we understand the reasons that women pause their education early in life:
- Maybe going to college wasn’t right for you at the time
- Maybe you started college and decided it wasn't a good fit
- And then there other competing factors like family, work, and day-to-day pressures
Looking back, do you still wish you had earned a college degree? Now you can—with The American Women’s College Online. We offer:
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert