Job Location: Bethany Campus - Bethany, OK
Position Type: Adjunct Instructor
Education Level: Graduate Degree
Onsite Bethany Campus
Chair, Department of Psychology & Counseling - Undergraduate
Department of Psychology & Counseling
The Department of Psychology & Counseling seeks adjuncts to join its adjunct pool. Faculty members in the adjunct pool are employed on a course-by-course basis, depending on the curricular offerings and course enrollments in any given semester. Recurrent course needs include PSY 1113 General Psychology.
The mission of the Southern Nazarene University Department of Psychology and Counseling is to partner with the university and students for the sake of developing persons who embody compassion, patience, presence, curiosity, thoughtfulness, and imagination. As a university rooted in the Wesleyan theological tradition, we invite our students to live relationally, to embody service and social justice, to use empirically sound methods, and to reflect thoughtfully about self, others, and creation. The undergraduate Bachelor of Science degree is comprised of 50 semester hours and offers a variety of high-impact educational practices, such as writing-intensive courses, collaborative projects, service-based learning, and course-embedded psychological research experience. The program learning objectives align with the American Psychological Associations 2.0 Guidelines for the Undergraduate Psychology Major.
Accredited by the Higher learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools and the State Board of Education, Southern Nazarene University (SNU) is a private, liberal arts university with a variety of undergraduate, graduate and adult education programs. As a Christian community of scholars, we model the hospitality of grace, the pursuit of truth and the practice of discipleship, all within the Wesleyan-holiness tradition, as we make Christlike disciples through higher education in Christ-centered community. SNU has an enrollment of approximately 2000 undergraduate and graduate students.
- Teach courses at assigned days and times
- Plan lessons that address particular learning outcomes and the needs of students
- Use technology to enhance instruction and assessment
- Design, administer, and grade assessments to measure student learning
- Provide course-related feedback to students in a timely manner
- Gather a sample of course assignments as requested for documentation for SNU
- General Education Committee, if applicable
- Maintain an accurate, up-to-date gradebook
- Maintain an accurate, up-to-date attendance record
- Set up and make proper use of a Learning Management System website for assigned course(s)
- Maintain a professional relationship with any student assistants, tutors, and/or graders assigned to their course(s), if applicable
- Administer a final exam session at the day and time scheduled by the Registrar
- Submit final grades as requested by the Registrar
- Collaborate on course development and assessment with the department chair and other unit faculty and staff
- Additional course-related duties as assigned
- Masters degree in any subfield of psychology
- Southern Nazarene University is an expression of the Church of the Nazarene. According to SNU policy, all faculty and staff must possess a strong personal Christian commitment and be committed to the SNU mission to make Christlike disciples through higher education in a Christ-centered community. All employees of the university sign a Faith and Life Covenant in harmony with the values and expectations of the Church of the Nazarene and the university.
- An understanding of the importance of diversity, inclusion, and equity
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to build and maintain positive interpersonal relationships
- Intrinsic motivation and ability to work independently on teaching-related tasks
- Ph. D. in any subfield of psychology
- Experience in face-to-face classroom instruction at the undergraduate level
Receives supervision and course assignments from the Department of Psychology & Counseling chair, although other faculty and staff members in the unit may provide work direction.
May be responsible for supervising student teaching assistants, student graders, and/or student tutors.
There are no benefits with this position.
Apply Online for this position at Southern Nazarene Careers