Job Location: Bethany Campus - Bethany, OK
Position Type: Adjunct Instructor
Education Level: Terminal Degree
Travel Percentage: None
As needed based on advisees schedule
Advisees Dissertation Director
Graduate Studies in Education and Leadership
January 2023, multiple positions
Southern Nazarene Universitys Doctor of Education degree in Administration and Leadership is a 32-month program with an embedded dissertation. For our learners to successfully complete their dissertation proposal, study, and defense, the Dissertation Chair agrees to serve a vital role in ensuring that learners progress in the dissertation process and receive appropriate guidance and support along the way. The Dissertation Chair plays an important role as content specialist for our doctoral students. In this role, they assess our students use of specialist language, technical jargon, and direct them to flagship studies in areas most pertinent to their research. In this regard, their work with our learners focuses on fine points and small picture issues. On the other hand, the Dissertation Directors are charged with big picture issues and work more closely with the student on all aspects of their research study from the beginning to end of the program. Dissertation Chairs can be assigned to up to three advisees at a time.
- Coordinate and collaborate with Dissertation Directors to understand dissertation expectations. The Dissertation Directors will keep you informed of all processes and support your success as a Dissertation Chair
- Assist/guide learner(s) in the development of the structural components of a dissertation to include topic, problem statement, theoretical framework, purpose statement, research questions, research method, and research design
- Assist/guide learner(s) in the execution of the research study
- Participate/Attend/Lead Dissertation Proposal and Dissertation Defense Hearings with learner(s)
- *Phase I: Assist/guide learner(s) in the development of the dissertation proposal (first three chapters of the dissertation)
- *Phase II: Assist/guide learner(s) in the research collection and analysis phase
- *Phase III: Assist/guide learner(s) in organizing findings, conclusions, and recommendations
- Respond to learner(s) in a timely manner (approximately 24 hours for routine emails, approximately 1 week for editing written work)
- Act as communication centers for issues related to the dissertation
- Provide emotional and spiritual support to learner(s) as needed throughout the process
- Attend and lead proposal and defense meetings for assigned advisee(s)
- Southern Nazarene University is an expression of the Church of the Nazarene. According to SNU policy, all faculty and staff must possess a strong personal Christian commitment and be committed to the SNU mission to make Christlike disciples through higher education in a Christ centered community.
- An understanding of the importance for diversity, inclusion, and equity.
- Terminal Degree
- Minimum of two years of related work experience in the advisees research interest
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills
- Typing and spelling competency
- Experience with using Google products, especially Google Documents
- Knowledge of APA 7th Edition
Receives supervision and work assignments from a designated supervisor, although other staff members in the unit may provide work direction.
Apply Online for this position at Southern Nazarene Careers
This position is not eligible for benefits.